Hello...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello...

My names James, I have recently started work at a hospital in the South East as a Ward Based Pharmacy Assistant. I have no previous Pharmacy experience so it has been a challenging start but I feel I have picked up the basics fairly quickly and am on course to complete my NVQ Level 2 within 6 months. I was wondering if there were any others on here in a similar role, and if you could share your experiences of how you have found it working in the role.

My main role at the moment is processing returns of medication we have dispensed but have not left the hospital, and wondered if anyone with more experience has any useful information to share about maybe preventing waste or any other cost saving initiatives?

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Use the search box to search the forum.
    johnep

Comment

Ah! Processing returns, my favourite job! When I was training in the inpatient department they used to just put all the returns on a table and when they started to fall off then someone would sigh and say, I guess I had better sort that lot out. I hated seeing the table piled with stuff. I’m not particularly tidy at home, but at work I’m a neat freak, so I started putting stuff away pretty much as soon as it came into the dispensary. At the end of my placement one of the other techs said she was going to miss me. Well, not so much me, but the clear table top without any packets falling on the floor!

cost saving and waste reduction measures aren’t really in your remit, firstly because you don’t know the full process from start to finish, and secondly because more senior people than you have worked out procedures for a reason. It’s easy to go into a department and think, we could save time/money there but your seniors are not thick. At some time most ideas have been tried and discarded or are already being implemented.

im not trying to dishearten you, but you need to concentrate on working in your own space as best you can, before you try taking over the department.

Comment

A couple of very unhelpful responses, but thanks anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by JamerzB88 View Post
          A couple of very unhelpful responses, but thanks anyway.
          Why would anyone bother with such a rude ungrateful child? You just concentrate on your own work and leave the thinking hard stuff to your superiors.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkybw View Post

Why would anyone bother with such a rude ungrateful child? You just concentrate on your own work and leave the thinking hard stuff to your superiors.
            I wasn't rude at all, just saying it how it is... two unhelpful responses. You seem to have an attitude problem, sorry to hear that.

I work for the NHS, idea's are encouraged from ALL levels... not just superiors.

I do hope you don't speak to your staff like that if you're in such a position to do so, not a good way to communicate with people.

Comment

I wasn't rude at all, just saying it how it is... two unhelpful responses. You seem to have an attitude, sorry to hear that.

I work for the NHS, idea's are encouraged from ALL levels... not just superiors.

I do hope you don't speak to your staff like that if you're in such a position to do so, not a good way to communicate with people.
              If you are too stupid to recognise how rude your comment was then I guess there is nothing further to say other than I have worked for the NHS for over ten years and I’m three bands higher than you. I know how things work and I also know that if there were a way to reduce returns then hospitals would have implemented it. Your employers are not as stupid as you seem to think they are. Concentrate on learning your own job, rather than trying to pick the brains of others to give you ideas that you can then pass off as your own. As I hav3 already said, people are not as stupid as you think they are, and no one owes you a free ride.

Comment

If you are too stupid to recognise how rude your comment was then I guess there is nothing further to say other than I have worked for the NHS for over ten years and I’m three bands higher than you. I know how things work and I also know that if there were a way to reduce returns then hospitals would have implemented it. Your employers are not as stupid as you seem to think they are. Concentrate on learning your own job, rather than trying to pick the brains of others to give you ideas that you can then pass off as your own. As I hav3 already said, people are not as stupid as you think they are, and no one owes you a free ride.
                My comment wasn't rude at all, you must be having a bad day.

I also really don't need to know what band you're on, it doesn't matter to be honest when it comes to cost saving initiatives... idea's can come from all levels and it can be something 'superiors' haven't thought of before. You shouldn't be so naïve to think otherwise, just because someone is on a lower band doesn't make them less intelligent.

Also, I wasn't going to pass anything of as my idea. I come up with suggestions all the time and some have already been implemented.

Hope you have a good weekend dude, maybe see if you can get to a spa or something... chill out.

Comment

• admin
                  admin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I suppose I’d say the obvious and tell you to put it back into stock? It can be reused as long as it’s not left the hospital and the expiry dates and batch numbers are still on it I think.

Those schemes sometimes seen of sending drugs off to the 3rd world never really work out for a variety of reasons.

I agree with Sparky's comments but decided to hold my tongue.
                johnep

Comment

I wasn't rude at all, just saying it how it is... two unhelpful responses. You seem to have an attitude problem, sorry to hear that.

i for one think it is admirable that you are thinking in the way that you are. Please do not take any notice of someone who tells you that it is not your job to think.
                  I certainly agree that band information is not what you required. There is often a mind set of “ we have always done it that way so it must be right”. New people without that staid mindset is to be welcomed. It maybe that the present way is the best but you should never stop thinking or questioning.
                  Hope you continue to enjoy your role.

Comment

How patronising. Leave the thinking stuff to your superiors! Really how old fashioned. I hope the OP continues to think and make a contribution to the profession and the forum if they come back after the responses given

Comment

Classic example of someone given charge without any experience in the field was Dr Beeching.
                      johnep

Comment

James, I am guessing you are well on your way to your NVQ so keep going. That's a good time frame.

It is shocking the amount of waste, but it's something that the NHS and contractors struggle with.

I don't agree on the already implemented thing, although various people will have spent a great deal of time thinking it through, there are a variety of reasons why in large organisations change doesn't happen. If you keep having ideas some of the small ones will get implemented if you have the right team environment.

I was a support member of staff and have left pharmacy now as I think community pharmacy doesn't have a very rosy future. I never got into hospital, I was stuck in community with nowhere to go. So it's great you are living the dream.

Comment

Working...
                        X