Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pharmaceutical calculations

Hi all!
    Can anyone recommend any really helpful books on calculations for trainee techs?
    I am looking for books that tell you how to work things out in such a way that even a 5 year old would understand as mathematics is far from being my strong point!!!! Seen plenty on the internet but I don't know what the best ones are. Thanks.

Why not post questions you are struggling with on this forum? You will find several members have taught or are teaching 5 year olds maths. As a starter, you may wish to ask yourself what you feel a 5 year old should be capable of doing?

1. Count forwards in sequence (addition and doing things in order)
    2. Count backwards in sequence (subtraction and doing things in order)
    3. Adding any 2 single digit numbers

If you can do the above in your sleep, you have only gone and cracked it. Rest is confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by viru219 View Post
      Why not post questions you are struggling with on this forum? You will find several members have taught or are teaching 5 year olds maths. As a starter, you may wish to ask yourself what you feel a 5 year old should be capable of doing?

1. Count forwards in sequence (addition and doing things in order)
      2. Count backwards in sequence (subtraction and doing things in order)
      3. Adding any 2 single digit numbers

If you can do the above in your sleep, you have only gone and cracked it. Rest is confidence.
      Probably percentages and mg or mcg per ml to percentages too!

By all means post the problem on here...
      Include your attempt to solve the problem too.
      This shows us two things.
      1. As if you would even do this - trawling the internet and getting everyone to do your calculations for you.
      2. Shows your thinking processes to understand and how you are trying to solve the problem.

Don't be scared!
      Join in the banter as well.

Most people in and around pharmacy can be sarcastic.
      With practice you can be too!
      Most of the time the internet is full of daft opinions and views that you should not take seriously let bother you at all.
      Note : If this posting contains personal views or opinions every endeavour is made to ensure they stay within social media guidelines.
      If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Hello Pharmanaut. Genuinely not being sarcastic. My son has a first in maths and was taught this at the age of 4. He swears by it.

Comment

I found this website useful: https://www.khanacademy.org/

Comment

Thanks guys for all your help! Viru291, would you like to send your child up to a snowy Scotland?!!!
            Seriously, I will probably be on the forum 24/7 for the rest of my life, ha ha!

Comment

Originally posted by Secret squirrel View Post
              Thanks guys for all your help! Viru291, would you like to send your child up to a snowy Scotland?!!!
              Seriously, I will probably be on the forum 24/7 for the rest of my life, ha ha!
              He is 22! Ask away. He is an excellent teacher. Guiding his young cousins through 11+ & GCSE's at the moment.

Comment

I taught Maths in the 80s. Consider pharmacy mainly ratios,proportions,percentages. Post any problems here.
                johnep

Comment

Originally posted by viru219 View Post

He is 22! Ask away. He is an excellent teacher. Guiding his young cousins through 11+ & GCSE's at the moment.
                  Oops.

Comment

Originally posted by Secret squirrel View Post

Oops.
                    No problem! Look, you have just got a kind offer from johnep who has official teaching experience.

Comment

Help! Can anybody please explain how to work out dilutions? I have a question that I think the answer might be one ml (probably wrong). I need to make 10mls of a 0.5% solution and the stock solution is 5%. I need to explain how I got the total amount of stock solution for the dilution. This is cracking me up and I can't get my head around these.

Comment

Stock soln contains 5 grm per 100ml, wanted is 0.5grm/100ml. Ie a ten fold dilution. Take 10mls of the stock and make up to 100 mls. You cannot accurately make just 10 mls to start..
                        I failed a dispensing exam at uni because tried to do this.
                        johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                          Stock soln contains 5 grm per 100ml, wanted is 0.5grm/100ml. Ie a ten fold dilution. Take 10mls of the stock and make up to 100 mls. You cannot accurately make just 10 mls to start..
                          johnep
                          Yes, you have to look at what you can measure accurately with the equipment you have got (either for the pen-paper exercise or in real-life). (or is that vitual or real-time now!)
                          For example the lower limit of dispensing scales was 50milligrams, and the smallest measure is 5ml or 10ml.

Most of the time the internet is full of daft opinions and views that you should not take seriously let bother you at all.
                          Note : If this posting contains personal views or opinions every endeavour is made to ensure they stay within social media guidelines.
                          If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                            johnep
                            Interesting... would you not just use a 5ml oral syringe to measure out 1ml of the stock and then another 5ml syringe to measure out 4ml + 5ml of the diluent? Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong

Comment

No, you are not wrong. I was just thinking the way to do it with very basic equipment. Ie I could do it at home. Does the question say what to be used for and if it has to be done aseptically, Also in what sort of situation. Could be in a mud hut in Africa!
                              johnep

Comment

Working...
                              X