Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pharmacy Technician Course? HELP!!

Hi

Im new to this and need some serious guidance as i am being given different info by different companies.

I have good science background, GCSE's and A levels and have decided i want to be a Pharmacy Technician.

I have got the following info from City and guilds etc, If i study Pharmacy Services 7356 will this allow me to work as a technician? or will it simply prepare me to complete my NVQ 2and3 when i obtain work as a technician? I think im right in saying i can study NVQ2and3 only instead of 7356? but also it might be worth my while studying the VRQ then the NVQ2and3, i think some colleges offer the 7356 on a full time basis for 6months and then also register you for the NVQ's? so once i have the VRQ i can easily get a job in the Pharmacy so i can get on the job NVQ?

Please help me out?

So if i enroll for the 2 year course NVQ2and3 i go to college once a week for 2 years and complete the course and become a technician (once i have passed) this is correct yes? i think if you go 2 days a week you can do the course in 1 year as working in pharmacy also?

Can i work Voluntarily? or do i need to be employed? also if i do NVQ2and3 i can work full time and complete the course while working?

Its all so confusing to me, i dont want to simply work as a trainee as some pharmacists are so busy and it takes some trainees 5years to complete? this is too long for me as i want to continue to be a ACT?

Some honest help would be great?

Also what price do you guys pay? £1500? £1100? i need some help.

Re: Pharmacy Technician Course? HELP!!

You should be very clear as to what a technician does and what are the career prospect. When I was your age, it was made clear to me that if I did not qualify as a pharmacist, then I should get out. Never go into something where it is impossible for you to reach the top.

If circumstances dictate that being a pharmacy technician is only possible path then you should know that a pharmacist will earn roughly 4 - 5 times as much. Promotion is non existent outside of hospitals and you will be in competition with school leavers who have no qualifications by way of exam whatever.

Depending on what your A levels are, get advice from a careers advisory service. In your situation I would consider science teaching.
    johnep

Comment

I advise you to apply for student technician' jobs in hospitals as you will be paid more than community's techs and the job is more interesting.

Comment

In my humble opinion, doing the two year part time NVQ3 Pharmacy Tech course whilst working is a good way of obtaining the certificate. I trained in hospital and it was much better than the training students receive in some community settings. The pay, once qualified, in hospitals is so much better.
        I would also give yourself plenty of time before you think about the ACT course. You normally have to have been an NVQ3 qualified Pharmacy Tech for two years before you will be considered for the ACT course. There are other courses available to qualified Techs such as diplomas and foundation degrees.

ALL pharmacy staff, no matter what their qualifications work long hours under difficult and challenging conditions that will probably only get worse before they get better. And we could all do with a few more pennies at the end of each month.
        Good luck with whatever career path you do choose.............

Comment

Originally posted by dizzyb23 View Post
          In my humble opinion, doing the two year part time NVQ3 Pharmacy Tech course whilst working is a good way of obtaining the certificate. I trained in hospital and it was much better than the training students receive in some community settings. The pay, once qualified, in hospitals is so much better.
          I would also give yourself plenty of time before you think about the ACT course. You normally have to have been an NVQ3 qualified Pharmacy Tech for two years before you will be considered for the ACT course. There are other courses available to qualified Techs such as diplomas and foundation degrees.

ALL pharmacy staff, no matter what their qualifications work long hours under difficult and challenging conditions that will probably only get worse before they get better. And we could all do with a few more pennies at the end of each month.
          Good luck with whatever career path you do choose.............
          Community pharmacy for technicians does have its advantages...
          You can usually find somewhere very locally.
          Mrs Pharmanauts staff mostly walk to work, or drive in the opposite direction to the rush hour. They also were mates at school with the surgery staff, which really smooths things along.
          Hassle of travel, fuel and parking costs can chisel away at that higher salary.
          Anyway, all these things need to be balanced, especially when you have youngsters at home.
          47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
          2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
          How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Working...
          X