Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACT qualified dispensing checking technician

hi,

Im a pharmacy graduate with a Masters Degree, I also have alot of retail experience. Im exploring other options available to me at the moment. Ive seen jobs been advertised for

'ACT qualified dispensing checking technician'

I was wondering how you would actually get this qualification, do you have to study a course or start on the job training. If you have any useful contacts please let me know here.
    ECDR.UK

Re: ACT qualified dispensing checking technician

Originally posted by rafhelp View Post
    hi,

Im a pharmacy graduate with a Masters Degree, I also have alot of retail experience. Im exploring other options available to me at the moment. Ive seen jobs been advertised for

'ACT qualified dispensing checking technician'

I was wondering how you would actually get this qualification, do you have to study a course or start on the job training. If you have any useful contacts please let me know here.

If you have a MPharm degree ( is that what you have ?) you should be thinking of registering as a pharmacist ie Pre-reg , then pre-reg exams
    Have you attempted /failed the pre-reg exams ?
    Not sure how many chances you've got,but my guess is 3 Fs and you're out...but don't know how long for.....being an ACT might be the next best thing in community pharmacy but IMHO, you will be better off using your MPharm in another setting such as industry, drug information, working in a prescribing support team, working in a UNI, teaching chemistry to secondary school kids ----there are loads of stuff you can do, that'll be more rewarding and commensurate with your MPharm degree.
    Don't get me wrong ACTs do a brilliant job, but you could do better with an MPharm.

Good luck
    Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

but you could do better with an MPharm
      yes i have an MPharm but it is difficult to find good uses for it apart from in pharmacy, i.e. being a pharmacist. Dont get me wrong ive attempted three six month placements and only really managed to pass one. but now i have to repeat the whole 12 months and its difficult to find independents who are willing to take me on due to this record. So rather than wandering around im looking at other options available to me.

if there are other jobs like you say where a Mpharm would be really beneficial/advantageous where abouts should I be looking for these? Because I spent a lot of time and effort getting this.
      ECDR.UK

Comment

the way u get the qualification is you have to do all these counter-assistants courses, dispensers courses, all these NVQ1,2 and 3 and finally I think u can start on the ACT course, when you've pass this you are basicly an ACT, thats all i know at the moment,

it's funny how pharmacy staff expect you to know about al this, when I got told zilch about this at university, they try telling you all this malarky about healthcare teams i.e. nurses, doctors etc... but they never mention the role of technicians etc... with whom the pharmacist is most likely to work with.
        We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Originally posted by rafhelp View Post
          yes i have an MPharm but it is difficult to find good uses for it apart from in pharmacy, i.e. being a pharmacist. Dont get me wrong ive attempted three six month placements and only really managed to pass one. but now i have to repeat the whole 12 months and its difficult to find independents who are willing to take me on due to this record. So rather than wandering around im looking at other options available to me.

if there are other jobs like you say where a Mpharm would be really beneficial/advantageous where abouts should I be looking for these? Because I spent a lot of time and effort getting this.
          Sorry to hear about your misfortune re your registration exams --
          If you are looking for alternative pharmacy placements (degree) check out the New Scientist website/Pharmajobs/google science graduate jobs//Teaching---

Personally I don't think you have to go back to basics NVQ1-3 (GCSE/1 A-level ) to get an ACT qualification.
          I am sure the PharmSoc would register you with a MPharm degree (surely..) once on the voluntary tech register then seek re ACT qualifications from APTUK

Good luck
          Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

Working...
          X