NVQ3 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVQ3 question

I'm trying to help two of my staff with their NVQ3 unit on pharmacy IT. One of the questions they have is "Describe the range of problems that may occur when you are maintaining file structures." I consider myself to be reasonably computer-literate but I don't even know what that means, let alone how to answer it. Can anyone help?

Re: NVQ3 question

basic problems:

data corruption through hardware failure (eg hard disk failure, computer crash etc) - partially mitigated through use of backup devices (eg CD-RW, DVD-RW, RAID arrays, tape backup etc)

software problems - not allowing you to access the system - mitigated by having regular software updates and robust IT support.

Intrusion by hackers / malicious software - mitigated by having security software eg firewalls and antivirus software.
    “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Wonder if it means file structures as in keeping a hard disk organised with folders with further nested sub-folders?

This approach makes it easy to find stuff, easy to backup and easy to spring-clean when deletion time arrives.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u.../filemgmt.mspx
      Last edited by Pharmanaut; 4, October 2008, 07:16 PM. Reason: added link to example
      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
        Wonder if it means file structures as in keeping a hard disk organised with folders with further nested sub-folders?

This approach makes it easy to find stuff, easy to backup and easy to spring-clean when deletion time arrives.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u.../filemgmt.mspx
        This makes sense, thank you - so what problems could arise?

Comment

Working...
        X