Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foundation Degree In Pharmacy

Hi
    Is there anyone out there currently on this course, about to start it or thinking about applying for next year???

Thanks
    Jules

Re: Foundation Degree In Pharmacy

Just for info, I started the course yesterday. It does seem very intense but also interesting. I think it's going to help all of us with our respective jobs. If there are any other Techs out there who may be interested in doing the course or just finding out any more info, just pm me and i'll send you the web link for the University.

Comment

great stuff

Just out of curiosity ...do you work for a pct or in a hospital ( would be very useful in these organisations)

do you think its a course worth doing if you a community pharmacy practitioner?
      Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

Hi
        I'm a community Tech and I think this course is definately worth doing from our point of view. There is a wide mix of Techs from varied backgrounds on the course with me. After finishing my NVQ 3, and knowing that the ACT course is more of a practical one, i was wondering what would be the next step and i think this is it. Hopefully.............

Comment

I'm trying to find a list of universities/colleges which offer a foundation degree.

These are the places listed on a 2006 document from the APTUK website:

De Montfort
          Aston
          Medway
          Kingston
          Portsmouth
          Huddersfield

Do you know of anywhere else?
          sunny

Comment

Birkbeck Uni in London. Have a look at their website for some detailed info

Comment

How is the course going dizzyb?

Comment

Not good RBK.....

I've had health probs and need an op (hopefully this year)....got very behind but hoping to catch up. The course itself is ok but not what I was looking for really. Shame but I don't want to give up on my education.

Comment

I am due to finish this course in April and can say have found it great but hard work. I am not academic minded in anyway and struggle with exams, so had my doubts if I could do it. It has been a challenge and its a huge commitment to give 3 years sudying. You have to do a lot in your own time. The benefits I have personnaly gained is vast however I have to say I doubt if it will benefit my chances of promotion as I work in a hospital and its still stuck in the old way of being a member of the click if you know what I mean. To me is about making sure that I am able to do my job well and with the confidence that I actually know the reasons why I can and cant do certain tasks. It gives you a sense of pride in knowing that you are not just following orders blindly. I now have the skills and confidence to feel part of the ward staff ( I work on wards with a pharmacist as a medicince management tech) You do get to learn a lot of new skills and have access to information which you might not have had and it certainly makes you question a lot of things about pharmacy practice. Its still in its infancy as a course and there are certain elements which may not apply to techs. If more techs had access to this course then it will only help in our fight to be respected as a profession, ( a formal qualification is always a boon) I would say go for it but be prepared for hard work. its worth it in the long run.

Comment

I agree with some of the things you've said takerrose but i'm now of the opinion that this course is good for folk looking to progress to a more management role as a tech. I was sincerely hoping to increase my Pharmacological knowledge but the first year was all basic stuff most people over the age of 30 have already done in various other jobs. It was like being back at school again and when I was well enough to go, I really felt as though i'd wasted my money and time.
                    I financed myself entirely and have not had value for my money at all. When I became very ill, I regularly asked for support from the various tutors and other uni staff and received none whatsoever!!!!!!!!!! I think i've just had a very negative experience from this course to be honest and i'm p***** off at the amount of money it's cost me and for what???

I've done other courses since starting and have found them much more appropriate to my job and educational needs. How this course is going to progress, i'm not sure but it REALLY does need to.

Other Techs reading this thread and considering their education, read both Taskerrose's post and mine for a balanced view which may help you see the good and bad sides and assist you in making your mind up if you are interested in this course. Obtain as many details from the uni as poss, consider the uni that does this via distance learning (not sure if there is one) and see if you can be financed. If you have to pay for yourself, I would say honestly that it really is not worth it at this stage. Sorry, i'm moaning again...........

Comment

You may be able to claim training costs against tax even on PAYE. Ask the INR.
                      johnep

Comment

I am really sorry and surprised you didn't get any support from the uni, I had to miss a large chunk of my course due to dislocating my knee and my uni couldn't have been more supportive, yes I had to make up a lot of work at home but they gave me indefinate extentions to allow me to send in completed work when done, I am still making up one module, I would agree that the course is tailored towards management and that some aspects are hard to relate to and how it would apply to my role, however the clinical aspect such as drug preformulation, and pharmokenetics whilst hard to understand has some merit. As I said its still in it infancy and where I am sudying they have asked for feedback to see what can be altered, It has both good and bad points, I really do think that it will soon be part of the registration package (and when we become classed as professional with a protected title)to undertake this training, especially if you are hospital based due to the new roles such as drug history taking which we are now being asked to do. After all nurses, physio's etc all have to have a uni education to qualify, just think of it as trail blazing the way for techs in the future. After all if you had said 6yrs ago techs would be performing extended roles apart from labelling and dispensing, not to mention being stuck behind the till selling hair colours, most techs and pharmacists would have laughed at the idea, who knows what we will be doing in the very near future.

Comment

They will have to change this course drastically to make it an appropriate part of the registration package for techs......but i'm hopeful that it will be improved and make it actually aimed at the jobs Techs do and will do in the future. In principle, this course is a fantastic idea. And because its in it's infancy their will be teething probs.

I'm glad that you received plenty of support when you had your injury. I hope you are on the mend.....

Comment

yes had to have a small op to stop it locking all the time, should have been done straight away but thats the NHS for you, due to the damage and having found out that I actually have patella alta (think thats how you spell it) and was extremely lucky to have got to 40 with out a problems as such ( have always had pain in knees now after playing sports now I know why) had to adjust my lifestyle as it could pop out again very easily, on the mend, boy do I hate the physio department would be glad never to see the inside of one again, now working like hell to complete the final part of the course and have the dreaded presentation to look forwards too. On the plus side at my Uni graduation could have Patrick Stewart (star trek fan here) presenting my diploma only reason I agreed to do the course (joking). On reflection I would have to say aside from personal gain cant see what benefit at work I will get, no chance of being given a higher band still think Its a good thing. Know what you mean about the fees lucky my trust is paying for it, we have had a couple of people who have had to drop out as their work will not continue to pay and they can't afford to pay for themselves. Would like to think that this would change in the future but in my experience its too new an idea still. Only time and registration will tell. Good luck in completing the course.

Comment

Hi guys im a newbie on this website and i found it very helpful i hope to do Mpharm this year at reading or Herts University I am not doing foundation but I will do Mpharm 4 year

I read this thread and i think I am in the same situation with Dizzy I suffer from recessice dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa a skin blistering disorder I understand this course of VERY INTENSE but I still think I can do it it sounds like these lecturers are not very nice people evil in some ways since they never helped dizzy even when he had legitimate health issues (and not just minor headaches) my skin blisters upon light friction and i cant stand for longer than 2 hours I wanted to ask any experienced people if I will get ANY support in my course if i fail to attend lectures (i plan to miss none but health can be a issue) and if one day I do manage to become a pharmacist will I be able to ask for a seat to sit down on or will it be a obstruction since i know pharmacists are alyways on there feet during the day I am very concerned about this I just dont want to live on benefits but I havent seen any pharmacists with disabilitys to be honest is all hope lost (btw i got good a levels like AAB so my grades are not a issue)

I hope someone can give me a honest opinion should i just cancel my ucas application or stick to it i have received conditional offers already but the intensity of this course may break me i fear

regards Bilal

Comment

Working...
                              X