Accuracy Checking Tech rate of pay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accuracy Checking Tech rate of pay

I've just been qualified as an ACT and i'm currently on under the market rate. I'm not sure if thats good or bad in community but I know the rate is higher in hospital.

I've been trying to research what the other pharmacy chains offer i.e. boots, lloyds but can't find anything. Surely i'm worth more than what i'm currently on. Can anyone please help ?
    Last edited by PT-1; 28, August 2008, 08:26 PM.

Re: Accuracy Checking Tech rate of pay

"I've just been qualified as an ACT and i'm currently on 8.50 per hr"
    not bad for a recently qualified, but i believe it should goes up to 13-18 pounds/hour in 2 years.
    i know one ACT who been practising for 2 years, she gets 14/hr. i believe she replaced an expensive p'cist in a pharmacy that does 20 000 items/ month.
    something i would not like to hear once i am qualified...
    [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
    [/COLOR]

Comment

Hi Ray

Thanks for the reply, so I guess i'm not on my own. Been told to get the full ACT rate you would need to work in a pharmacy which is doing 10,000+ items a month. Perhaps the rate varies from one chain to another. But 8.50 hr is pretty low for an ATC as I know technicians getting this rate in lloyds.

Comment

yea i believe its a bit low, some summer students at boots working in busy branchs are getting 6.75/hour. have a talk with your head office, question when will it be raised, and how much they will top it. check what other companies can offer you.
        then make a decision based on financial issues and how satisfied you are with your current employer.
        cheers
        [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
        [/COLOR]

Comment

Working in lds this week, the girls were discussing pay and to them £8/hr seemed a dream.
          johnep

Comment

"Working in lds this week, the girls were discussing pay and to them £8/hr seemed a dream"
            yea john, but he is an ACT, not a dispenser :P
            [/COLOR]

Comment

Dont know where you got £13-18 from but...

........hospital technicians who are better paid than community technicians are mostly band 6 which works out to be about £10/hr, technician supervisors etc... earn more in hospital, but thats the rate.....

.....£8.50/hr works out to be 18-19K, to me thats a very good wage for a ACT, slightly low, but I wouldnt expect anything higher than £10.....

...working out the rates certain pharmacies are offering PHARMACIST MANAGERS, its like 35-40k per annum, thats not even £18/hr, assuming 37k 9-6 mon-fri with an hours break (which are the best hours possible ,more or less). more realistic 9-6:30, no break, mon-fri, 9-1pm sat,(atmost 40k)=<£16/hr, that's for a pharmacist, my friend.............

.....and not being unfair or nasty to any ACT, there is not much difference between an ACT and a dispenser, both do the same job, the ACT just has a qualification saying they have OFFICIALY proven they can do accuracy checks..............

....also about the ACT replacing a pharmacist...i'm sure you know they still need a pharmacist in the branch to do atleast the clinical check on the Rxs, and for the pharmacy to be even open, the presence of a full member of the RPSGB pharmacy register is required.

peace out!!
              Last edited by SolomonQ; 2, August 2008, 09:34 PM.
              We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Originally posted by SolomonQ View Post
                Dont know where you got £13-18 from but...

........hospital technicians who are better paid than community technicians are mostly band 6 which works out to be about £10/hr, technician supervisors etc... earn more in hospital, but thats the rate.....
                Band 6 is more than £10 an hour isn't it? I've just finished a band 5 job and I'm pretty sure the hourly rate for that was something like £10.30

Comment

"....also about the ACT replacing a pharmacist...i'm sure you know they still need a pharmacist in the branch to do atleast the clinical check on the Rxs, and for the pharmacy to be even open, the presence of a full member of the RPSGB pharmacy register is required"

yea but now they have a pharmacist manager, ACT and some dispensers rather than 2 pharmacists for a busy shop.
                  [/COLOR]

Comment

hmmm, understood, but that means the one pharmacist is having to do their own aswell as the ACTs clinical checks, putting extra work on the one pharmacist.

The frightening thing about all this ACT business is, ive seen a pharmacy model proposed where the pharmacist is at the COUNTER, as the scripts come in they get taken in by the pharmacist who does all the checks, if everything is ok, Rx gets handed into the dispensary, "manned" by atleast one ACT. and the pharmacists doent see the script again or the dispensed items. abviously this way the pharmacist has more time to do other stuff (MURs ), when there are no Rxs to clinically check but this format is quite indignifying.
                    We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Originally posted by Emmz View Post
                      Band 6 is more than £10 an hour isn't it? I've just finished a band 5 job and I'm pretty sure the hourly rate for that was something like £10.30
                      to be honest, i was thinking of band 5 which is for pre-reg pharmacists, that starts at £10/hr, and abviously there's always a few 10ps on top of that per hr because of experience, extra work or the nature of position as the pay is based on the NHS agenda for change, but my point about not expecting >£10/hr in community still applies

Comment

Originally posted by SolomonQ View Post
                        hmmm, understood, but that means the one pharmacist is having to do their own aswell as the ACTs clinical checks, putting extra work on the one pharmacist.

The frightening thing about all this ACT business is, ive seen a pharmacy model proposed where the pharmacist is at the COUNTER, as the scripts come in they get taken in by the pharmacist who does all the checks, if everything is ok, Rx gets handed into the dispensary, "manned" by atleast one ACT. and the pharmacists doent see the script again or the dispensed items. abviously this way the pharmacist has more time to do other stuff (MURs ), when there are no Rxs to clinically check but this format is quite indignifying.
                        I don't see that as indignifying. The question is what do you think community pharmacists should be doing. Should we be hiding away in the dispensary, doing things that could be delegated to appropriately trained staff, or should we be doing what no one else can and talking to patients about their meds?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                          "....also about the ACT replacing a pharmacist...i'm sure you know they still need a pharmacist in the branch to do atleast the clinical check on the Rxs, and for the pharmacy to be even open, the presence of a full member of the RPSGB pharmacy register is required"

yea but now they have a pharmacist manager, ACT and some dispensers rather than 2 pharmacists for a busy shop.
                          There are times when I'd rather have my ACT than a second pharmacist. We work very well together, and there are some locums who are a complete pain.

Comment

I don't see that as indignifying.
                            Standing at the counter like a sales assistant taking in Rxs, that would be indignifying to me, alot of the counter assisstants are actually trained to look out for things required on a valid Rx, so there there would be nothing to differentiate between a pharmacist and a counter assistant to alot of patients.

How many GPs do you see at the counter/reception during open surgeries, assessing patients needs so more serious cases can be treated before non-urgent ones (and refering the cold/cough/headache etc... sufferer to the nearest pharmacy), If they do, it means better care for patients, lower waiting time, quick access to a doctor, compared to a normal first come first serve basis generaly used at the moment.

GPs dont because it because it puts them out there infront of the public, and in this consumption based society, people value things depending on how easy they can get access to them, the easier the access lower the value. Thats why majority of the people overlook pharmacies as a place of healthcare provision and treat them like shops. maybe the pharmacy profession should learn the value of self-respect from some of the other professions.

It is easier, i think, to talk to a patient about their medicines while handing them out to them, unless there is some other query or interaction that needs to be taken care of first. This way patients get good advice/info and at the same time, if there is delay in the dispensing of a Rx the patient would generaly leave happier.

Comment

The problem with speaking to patients when giving meds out is that this only really applies to waiters, many of which are short term prescriptions for things like abx. By being on the counter we can still speak to these people, as well as seeing patients picking up surgery scripts which provide the vast number of rx items. Managing patients with chronic diseases is the future for community pharmacy and it will be easier to do if we already know our patients and speak to them regularly.

As for people treating pharmacies as shops, I think this is due to the fact that our premises are often presented as shops, and not as practices. I hope this changes in the future and we improve the presentation of our premises and stop stocking some of the tat we do at the moment. I certainly have a very clear view of what my own pharmacy would look like, and it wouldn't include hair care products, toys, toiletries, nappies, homeopathic preparations, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X