Pharmacy Technician from USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pharmacy Technician from USA

I am certificate of Phar Tech from USA. I have no experience of Pharmacy. I am 54 yrs old. How can I start NVQ and all that. Is there any place which will train me volunterly( with out Pay) and I finish my course as dispenser or assistant. In USA all you have to do is study and pass the exam.

Re: Pharmacy Technician from USA

Are you saying that you can pass an exam to be a qualified tech without practical experience in a dispensary?
    johnep

Comment

Yes , I have passed my exam May 2007. No experience whatsoever. I liked the way things worked out for me. The termology, calculations, doses, medicines and their action with body.
      I think I got knowlege of assistant if not of dispenser. Customer services .. I had my own shop for 25 year in LONDON

Comment

You will be very welcome as shortage of techs here. You would probably have a months training period to learn computer etc and then be on your way.

At store I worked this week only help was the Saturday girl working in the holiday. Anyone with any training at all would be grabbed right away. However, must warn you that pay in community pharmacy not wonderful, probably just above minimum wage to start.
        You certainly could not support yourself.
        johnep

Comment

Thanks.
          It's nice to know that my knowledge will come to some use in UK. Now where to start is QUESTION. I do not want to just stick to dispenser/ assistant job. I want to progress and want to qualify as Pharm Tech.Please guide me who will employ me and also train me at age of 54. Hospital Pharmacy will be ideal place to work for me, Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury, Boots etc do they have trainee posts.
          I tried their web sites but no luck. Commuity Pharmacy do not want to know old man.

Comment

Ageism is against the law, but if two candidates, one 54 and other 24 guess who will get the job?

If you had a successful business for 25 years, why not open a drug store or health store where your training would be useful.
            johnep

Comment

I know 54 and 24 concept. But one have to try their luck.
              Opening own business is one option but I don't want to go back to retailig it's very tough. Criminals do not hesitate to hurt you for few quids. I have plenty of bad experience.
              Where to start dispense/assistant is first step or what?
              Thanks for response

Good site to keep in touch.

/

Comment

OK, Only job you might get in a hospital would be pharmacy porter to start as they mainly want NVQ3 qualifications for dispensers. You could try a few of the agencies in the Pharmaceutical Journal (pjonline). You may even have to be prepared to do anything at first. Male assistants on the counter in pharmacies used to be common 50 years ago, now very rare but you could find work in 100 hour pharmacies doing the hours no one else wants ie late nights. At these times a mature male would have an advantage over a young girl.

Crinimal raids on pharmacies rare in UK, mainly in the grotty areas in old industrial towns.
                When I worked for Boots we once had an elderly musician who had worked on the cruise ships. Knew nothing about pharmacy, but a lot about life. I was impressed as only 18 at time.
                johnep

Comment

It sounds like there is not much options left for me. And the knowledge I gained will not be of any value or use.
                  Only option is go to USA and make a use of knowledge and gain experience of pharmacy there. It is hard to live there on my own too. The starting salary will be minimum wages and it's hard to live on that.
                  Other option is now to work for supermarket at a checkout or petrol station attendtant or some kind of mannual work. Labouring at building site etc is out of question.
                  Or work at pharmacy as shop assistant.

Comment

'go to USA'. Sorry, I thought you were already there. If resident in UK, then try writing to local chemists. Vacancy in Superdrug Bury St edmunds at moment. manager there would love someone honest consciencious and reliable.

Five minutes to learn till, you already have retail experience and maturity should be appreciated on the healthcare counter. Once in, rest up to you. There is chronic shortage of dispensers or pepole willing to learn.
                    Good Luck.
                    johnep

Comment

Johnep
                      I am in UK and resident of UK. I have right to work in USA. I also have USA qualification which have no use or value in UK. I will try your suggestions and see what happens. I only thought of working in pharmacy after certified and thought that it will be easy to get in pharmacy field in home country. I was offered job as Pharmacy Technician in CVS Pharmacy on basis of my retail experience and Pharm Tech certificate in USA. Now I got in to this mess. Nonumployable,old and of no use.
                      Thanks for your guidance and support.

Comment

Never! You have showed more gumption than others half your age. If you are near a shopping mall then pharmacies here often need staff and sometimes mall has list of vacancies. One reason why suggested take anything is that it is always easier to find work when you are already working. Believe me, I have been there.
                        johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                          'go to USA'. Sorry, I thought you were already there. If resident in UK, then try writing to local chemists. Vacancy in Superdrug Bury St edmunds at moment. manager there would love someone honest consciencious and reliable.

Five minutes to learn till, you already have retail experience and maturity should be appreciated on the healthcare counter. Once in, rest up to you. There is chronic shortage of dispensers or pepole willing to learn.
                          Good Luck.
                          johnep
                          There seems to be a chronic shortage of everyone!
                          47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                          2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                          How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

If shortage of skilled or qualified staff than why I am struggling. There is all red tape caused by this registration. It's not protecting the cause of Pharmacy Staff but frightening off the people who want to come in to the trade. Well I will keep trying and see how far my experience and knowledge take me.

Comment

Originally posted by pyare1108 View Post
                              If shortage of skilled or qualified staff than why I am struggling. There is all red tape caused by this registration. It's not protecting the cause of Pharmacy Staff but frightening off the people who want to come in to the trade. Well I will keep trying and see how far my experience and knowledge take me.
                              Yes, that's exactly what it does do in a lot of cases.
                              47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                              2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                              How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Working...
                              X