100 hour pharmacies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100 hour pharmacies

Are 100 hour pharmacies , responsible for current locum shortages ?

Today some multiple-branches were running with virtually no pharmacists ...only 2 hour pharmacist cover.....although shop claiming P meds or prescriptions weren't being dealt with.....shop not closed or shut down entirely when no pharmacist present..........dread to think what will happen when remote supervison kicks in !
    Last edited by kemzero; 7, August 2007, 03:57 PM.
    Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Re: 100 hour pharmacies

Did you see C&D a few last week?

100 hour pharmacy in London withdrew its tender due to local pressure on the PCT!
    Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
    pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
    eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Originally posted by kemzero View Post
      Are 100 hour pharmacies , responsible for current locum shortages ?
      No

Today some multiple-branches were running with virtually no pharmacists ...only 2 hour pharmacist cover.
      If they cannot get pharmacist cover at the rates of pay that they offer and with the working conditions that they impose then the blame is entirely theirs.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
        No

If they cannot get pharmacist cover at the rates of pay that they offer and with the working conditions that they impose then the blame is entirely theirs.

Jeff
        Careful with this - might be some hidden agenda...
        Such as making good the case for remote supervision with checking technicians....
        They only have to put the right spin on it to gain public acceptance.
        47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
        2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
        How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
          Careful with this - might be some hidden agenda...
          Such as making good the case for remote supervision with checking technicians....
          They only have to put the right spin on it to gain public acceptance.
          Yup, and pharmacists need a representative organisation with teeth.

Jeff

Comment

There is no shortage of locums.
            There is only a shortage of pharmacists willing to work at low rates.

Pay a professional fee and then the perceived shortage will vanish.

I don't know what locum rates are, but if they are a mere £22/hour (hardly a professional rate) pay £30 and many will flock to do the work.
            Opticians easily get £300/day and they don't have contract limitation.

Contract limitation is unfair, and anti-competetive and the reason for low rates.

What is wrong with opening next door to a existing pharmacy?
            Are they scared of free open competition? Do they have such poor service that they cannot cope? The world has competiton.

Contract limitation resulted in lower rates and third world conditions and slave labour. Aspirations and dreams of young pharmacists were destroyed.
            Greed of contractors prevailed.

Eg A major chain forcing people to work 10 hours a day without a break and without a stool to sit on. Pathetic. I remember those days.

With contract limitation there should have been safeguards for employees/locums and a minimum rate or FULL DISPENSING FEE as a locum rate, which ever was the greatest.
            There has to be a cost to contractors. They cannot be immune from
            competition.

Remeber, pay peanuts, get monkeys!

Comment

Originally posted by Kemzero
              Today some multiple-branches were running with virtually no pharmacists ...only 2 hour pharmacist cover.....although shop claiming P meds or prescriptions weren't being dealt with.....shop not closed or shut down entirely when no pharmacist present..........dread to think what will happen when remote supervison kicks in !
              I spoke to a solicitor about this and she tells me: The terms of 100 hour pharmacies are simple. They must be open for 100 hours or they loose their registration.

Originally posted by Cherrypicker999 View Post
              What is wrong with opening next door to a existing pharmacy?
              Are they scared of free open competition? Do they have such poor service that they cannot cope? The world has competiton.
              The consumer in me agrees wholeheartedly with this statement. Why should I have to choose a pharmacy because it's the only one available in my area? I should be able to choose the one with the best service.
              Opticians for example often have rival practices a few doors down or even next door. The only problem is that its very difficult to make a decent margin in pharmacy as it is and supermarkets will set up 100 a week pharmacies as a loss making venture at first to attract more business to their stores, making it very difficult for small independents to compete.

Originally posted by Cherrypicker999
              Opticians easily get £300/day and they don't have contract limitation.
              Damn, I knew I choose the wrong career!
              _____

Comment

100 hour pharmacies

But if you cannot accept competition why do you expect to earn any margin.

Is competition dirty? If so, so is a margin.
                If any pharmacy expects to make a POR then they must accept full open competition.

Comment

how much does a typical locum pharmacist earn in a month and how many vacations do they a year

Comment

how long is a piece of string? Standard locum pay from multiples is £22/hr.

Holidays are unpaid so it is upto you how many you have.

One locum had a flat in Spain and worked six months in Uk and had rest of year off. As only six months, no UK tax.

One of our posters spends winters in a ski chalet.

Joy of locuming ,if you have no mortgage, is doing as you please.
                    johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                      how long is a piece of string? Standard locum pay from multiples is £22/hr.

Holidays are unpaid so it is upto you how many you have.

One locum had a flat in Spain and worked six months in Uk and had rest of year off. As only six months, no UK tax.

One of our posters spends winters in a ski chalet.

Joy of locuming ,if you have no mortgage, is doing as you please.
                      johnep
                      How about being an 'unsociable hours locum' - these can be premium rate jobs. You can quickly pay off your student-debt, add to your bank balance or simply get the income you need for your lifestyle in a few days and take the rest of the week off, depending of what stage of your career you are in.
                      The latter is part of my master plan.
                      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by pharm5 View Post
                        how much does a typical locum pharmacist earn in a month and how many vacations do they a year
                        I think it also depends where you live in the country, and how good your reputation is. If you do a good job people always want you back.

As for holidays, it depends how much you want to earn. The more holidays you take, the less you earn.

As for hourly rate, where I live (East Yorks) I charge £25 per hour all year round, but occasionally get the odd Saturday morning for £150 for four hours. I never seem short of work, but do often travel a bit - the furthest I go is about 40 miles each way.

I keep my earnings below the 40% tax band, as I don't want to work two in five days for the government! So I do a four day week (Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri) but if you're young, fit and keen you could work a 5 1/2 or six day week and soon save up some decent cash, or pay off those student debts.
                        Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                        Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                        Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

100 hour pharmacies

"How long is a piece of string?"

Don't you know the answer to such a stupid question?

It's simple.

Twice the distance from the centre to one end.

Please remember this and give the answer when you hear such a stupid question again.
                          It's the same nonsense as saying "I will give 110% effort". Don't these people know the maximum
                          one can give is 100%? Poor education!

Comment

Don't you know the answer to such a stupid question?

It's simple.

Twice the distance from the centre to one end.
                            Just a thought over coffee...
                            That would depend if it was ordinary string composed of normal baryonic matter or superstring which may not exhibit supersymmetry.
                            How times change.

Comment

"I will give 110% effort". Don't these people know the maximum
                              one can give is 100%? Poor education!
                              I always give 100% every week

20% on Monday
                              25% on Tuesday
                              30% on Wednesday
                              15% on Thursday
                              10% on Friday

Comment

Working...
                              X