GP prescribes exorcism - GMC only give six months suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GP prescribes exorcism - GMC only give six months suspension

A doctor prescribed exorcism to a patient who came to see her about contraception advice. She then read to her from a battered Bible, said prayers over her stomach and gave her wooden crosses and stones to ward off evil.
    (See the full story here: GP prescribed exorcism to patient | Metro.co.uk)

The punishment handed out by the GMC was only a SIX MONTH SUSPENSION for this.

Contrasts drastically with the punishments handed out by the RPSGB doesn't it? For example, the the striking off of a pharmacist for theft to a total value of approx £120. See here: PJ Online | The Society: Statutory Committee (8 November 2003)

Now really, what's worse: a pharmacist who steels some medicines or a Doctor who reads from the Bible rather than conducting further medical examination?

Re: GP prescribes exorcism - GMC only give six months suspension

Originally posted by N.T View Post
    A doctor prescribed exorcism to a patient who came to see her about contraception advice. She then read to her from a battered Bible, said prayers over her stomach and gave her wooden crosses and stones to ward off evil.
    (See the full story here: GP prescribed exorcism to patient | Metro.co.uk)

The punishment handed out by the GMC was only a SIX MONTH SUSPENSION for this.

Contrasts drastically with the punishments handed out by the RPSGB doesn't it? For example, the the striking off of a pharmacist for theft to a total value of approx £120. See here: PJ Online | The Society: Statutory Committee (8 November 2003)

Now really, what's worse: a pharmacist who steels some medicines or a Doctor who reads from the Bible rather than conducting further medical examination?
    Do you remember the signalysis case?
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

No, what was that about?
      Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
      pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
      eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Surely the point is not that pharmacist are badly treated by their professional body but that doctors are too leniently treated! And that is why the Government has brought in the new regulations about professional discipline, precisely to ensure that medics were treated with the same rigour as pharmacists and nurses.

Years and years ago I recall a case where a GP alleged that someone had been "miraculously" cured of diabetes. Can't recall what eventually happened, but the NHS took quite a dim view.

Comment

Originally posted by the old merlin View Post
          Years and years ago I recall a case where a GP alleged that someone had been "miraculously" cured of diabetes. Can't recall what eventually happened, but the NHS took quite a dim view.
          What view did the GMC take?

Comment

Generally it appears GMC is reluctant to strike off which would deprive the Dr of his job, home and marriage. RPSGB has no such scruples.
            johnep

Comment

Originally posted by Linnear View Post
              No, what was that about?
              http://duncan.gn.apc.org/spag.htm

Hokum and quackery.
              How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Do you think its time to revive interest into "Rhyming Remedies". So far they have an excellent safety profile.
                How times change.

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                  Generally it appears GMC is reluctant to strike off which would deprive the Dr of his job, home and marriage. RPSGB has no such scruples.
                  johnep
                  I think the society has always tried to put the message "we are very tough on pharmacists" in an attempt to keep control of regulation.

I've said before why isn't there more steps in the punishment ladder? My dentist told me his friend got addicted to morphine (another dentist) and got caught. He wasn't struck off, but had to work supervised for a couple of years. Even Shipman didn't get struck off when he got caught doing the same thing. We need something like that in my opinion, as all we seem to have now is: -

1. Not guilty - nothing
                  2. Reprimand - equals nothing in reality
                  3. Struck off - your life ruined

We need a least another step in this process. The gap between 2 and 3 are all or nothing.
                  Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                  Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                  Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                    3. Struck off - your life ruined
                    ...or....

'3. Struck off - your life saved' - as you can no longer practice pharmacy and therefore HAVE to turn to alternative means of employment and are likely to find something you enjoy doing more.

Comment

Working...
                    X