Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal College?

Hi Everyone

I just wondered within the members of the site, whats the general feeling about this Royal College idea?
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Re: Royal College?

I'm still unclear as to what a "college" is really, in this case?!?
    Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
      I'm still unclear as to what a "college" is really, in this case?!?
      Trouble is Zogs, so is everyone else.

Will try to keep everyone posted as to what we're told at the board meetings but it's still very early days yet.

The first review should have been received last week and we may get a heads up on it tomorrow. Will let you know.
      Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
      pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
      eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Is it going to be one of yer "English-only"-type Clubs, or will Pharmacists hailing from the Celtic Homelands (i.e. Wales & Scotland) be allowed to join in?
        Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by Linnear View Post
          Will try to keep everyone posted as to what we're told at the board meetings but it's still very early days yet.
          I thought you were elected to do the telling - not to do as you were told - gdrvvf

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Linnear View Post
            Trouble is Zogs, so is everyone else.

The first review should have been received last week and we may get a heads up on it tomorrow. Will let you know.
            Thanks, I just want to know if you have to join, and how much will it cost!
            Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
            Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
            Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

The Carter working party has had its last meeting and has reported to Lord Hunt.

We should get his repsonse in the next few weeks. (Or so they say)

The EPB has made it a priority to come up with and put ideas into the mix.
              The Scottish and Welsh Boards are apparently thinking of doing the same and the chairs of the boards are in good dialogue over this.

At the moment the 'Royal College' idea is a completely blank sheet of paper. Of course the only person that can grant RC status is Her Maj and it was pointed out that this would only happen if the RC would be viable and sustainable.

The EPB would really like to know what you expect of a Royal College. Please note I am only saying RC because that's the only name being floated and it's easier than typing:

"Pharmacists', and probably technicians', support and reperesentative body of unknown name and quantity"!

The VP of the Council was the first to actually mention a voluntary body! But then someone floated the idea that it would be voluntary but you'd need to be validated to work.

So you could join voluntarily or not work! (I believe Australia's setup is similar to this idea. May not be Australia but I know one country set their College up this way.)

There is a big meeting of several pharmaceutical bodies on 30th. Our Chair will be going and I'll let you know who else will be represented when I get the details of the meeting.

Jeff, as we are the English Pharmacy Board, how a UK wide RC is setup would be outside of our remit. If a number of RCs are setup then an English RC would fall more into our jurisdiction.
              At the moment all that is going on is a lot of meetings to try to get some form of concensus on what everyone would want.
              After all if it is voluntary then the RC will have to give the people what it wants.

We have tasked ourselves with coming up with major input and so would be grateful if any ideas could be forwarded to me. Yes I know I can read all of your views here but what if I was busy and missed the best idea that anyone had had?

Take the chance out of it and send me your ideas. I will pass them on.

Apparently this 1st article is quite good. Gives background on some other RCs and also views on how a RC may work for us. Please don't flame me if it's crap I haven't had a chance to read it myself yet. Was only informed of it yesterday.

King's Fund - Search
              Last edited by Linnear; 14, April 2007, 09:50 AM.
              Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
              pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
              eloquent-e-tales

Comment

We should have some sort of college....it would enhance our standing as professionals.. it should mirror the Royal college of Physicians, Royal college of Nursing etc
                The college of pharmacy practice might be able to fill this gap as they would not need to re-invent the wheel ...I think it should be called the Royal College of Pharmacists and Pharmacy technicians or Royal College of Pharmacy professionals.....
                members should be required to pass an exam before joining, those who don't pass should be associate members.

Pharmacists and techs should sit the same exam....only joking, but I think senior techs with post grad qualifications should.!
                Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

Originally posted by kemzero View Post
                  We should have some sort of college....it would enhance our standing as professionals.. it should mirror the Royal college of Physicians, Royal college of Nursing etc
                  The college of pharmacy practice might be able to fill this gap as they would not need to re-invent the wheel ...I think it should be called the Royal College of Pharmacists and Pharmacy technicians or Royal College of Pharmacy professionals.....
                  members should be required to pass an exam before joining, those who don't pass should be associate members.

Pharmacists and techs should sit the same exam....only joking, but I think senior techs with post grad qualifications should.!
                  No!! It should be for pharmacists only. The RC will be a representative body and technicians already have APTUK. Does the RC physicians let nurses join as members? Can a health care assistant join the RCN? No and No. Techs are important and we need to work closely with them, but they should not be allowed to join our representative body.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve G View Post
                    No!! It should be for pharmacists only. The RC will be a representative body and technicians already have APTUK. Does the RC physicians let nurses join as members? Can a health care assistant join the RCN? No and No. Techs are important and we need to work closely with them, but they should not be allowed to join our representative body.
                    I think that would make a good letter to the ed in the PJ

Comment

Working...
                    X