head off to usa once you graduate!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• head off to usa once you graduate!

I was wanting to know about the whole usa thing as a job in pharamacy there is better than in the uk. So i contacted some people.

Thank you for your recent e-mail. The following information should assist you in obtaining requirements for pharmacy licensure and practice in the United States.
    In order to practice pharmacy in the U.S., individuals must be licensed by the state in which they wish to practice. Information on the specific requirements for licensure may be obtained directly from the board of pharmacy in the state where you are seeking licensure. All state boards within the United States, Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia, require candidates to pass the North American Pharmacist Licensure Examination (NAPLEX), as part of their assessment of competence to practice pharmacy. The NAPLEX is a computer-adaptive examination developed by the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP). Applications to sit for the NAPLEX may be obtained directly from the board of pharmacy in the state where you are seeking licensure.

Before taking the NAPLEX, states require that candidates provide documentation of appropriate pharmacy education. For candidates who have graduated from a school of pharmacy outside of the United States, most states would require them to demonstrate that their pharmacy education is equivalent to that of graduates of accredited U.S. schools of pharmacy. In most of the states, earning Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Examination Committee (FPGEC) Certification is the approved method to document this educational equivalency. Candidates who earn FPGEC Certification usually go on to take the NAPLEX and other licensing examinations that are required by the state where they intend to practice.

NABP administers the FPGEC Certification program. FPGEC Certification attests that graduates of foreign schools of pharmacy possess education equivalent to graduates of U.S. schools of pharmacy. The FPGEC evaluates only undergraduate pharmacy education - postgraduate education/qualifications are not evaluated. In the process of Certification, candidates must document their educational background in addition to their license and/or registration, pass the Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Examination (FPGEE), pass the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a score of 550 or higher on the paper-based TOEFL or a minimum passing score of 213 on the computer-based TOEFL, and pass the Test of Spoken English (TSE) with a score of 50 or higher or the internet-based TOEFL (iBT) with minimum passing scores of 24 for the Writing, 26 for Speaking, 18 for the Listening and 21 for the Reading on one score report. Awarding the FPGEC Certificate allows foreign graduates to partially fulfill eligibility requirements for licensure in the jurisdictions that accept the Certification.

I then wanted to know whether it mattered where I graduated from

In order to be accepted into the program the courses just need to be accredited it does not matter where you graduated in the UK, if you have further questions please contact Customer Service, thanks.

what do you lot think then?
    3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Have you looked at any sample papers for the FPGEC exams yet? Well it will feel like going through all the university work again! LOL
    I know a UK qualified pharmacist who got the License to work in California. He went there and came back to the UK and said the "suing culture" there is amazing! He never went back. He has got his business now but I guess it’s all up to where you want to practice, isn’t it?

Comment

Originally posted by CptJoshi View Post
      Have you looked at any sample papers for the FPGEC exams yet? Well it will feel like going through all the university work again! LOL
      I know a UK qualified pharmacist who got the License to work in California. He went there and came back to the UK and said the "suing culture" there is amazing! He never went back. He has got his business now but I guess it’s all up to where you want to practice, isn’t it?
      well if its all uni work again then surely it will be easy, im just happy it doesnt matter where you graduate from.

Comment

Are you still at uni then?

Comment

well im about to go into uni next year , i know its a long way off but i really do want to settle in the usa, why u ask anyway??

Comment

Well you seemed very enthusiastic about it and when you said that "it should be easy" after long four years at university and finishing of your pre-reg I personally would not be happy sitting down with the chemistry books all over again for the sake passing an exam. Don't get me wrong, as healthcare professionals; it is a life long learning for all of us but not exactly the university undergraduate studying but if you still have that motivation left then sure worth a try.

Comment

Well you seemed very enthusiastic about it and when you said that "it should be easy" after long four years at university and finishing of your pre-reg I personally would not be happy sitting down with the chemistry books all over again for the sake passing an exam. Don't get me wrong, as healthcare professionals; it is a life long learning for all of us but not exactly the university undergraduate studying but if you still have that motivation left then sure worth a try.
              well all im thinking of is that the money is much much better over there and the job is respected more in the us. Are you at uni?

Comment

It is indeed. I graduated this year. Doing my Pre-Reg year at the moment.

Comment

good stuff which uni you go to mate

Comment

It doesn't matter where you qaulify from, does it? LOL

Comment

It doesn't matter where you qaulify from, does it? LOL
                      lol i asked because if you went to a uni i have applied to i could ask you how it was,anyway this thread has turned into a chat i want peoples opinions on the usa issue.

Comment

Originally posted by giggsy View Post
                        and the job is respected more in the us.
                        Is it?

Jeff

Comment

Giggsy, if you want to be a pharmacist in America it would be far better for you to study there.

If you study in the UK you'll have to repeat a lot of the work again. Why not just move there now?
                          _____

Comment

Originally posted by richtagg View Post
                            Giggsy, if you want to be a pharmacist in America it would be far better for you to study there.

If you study in the UK you'll have to repeat a lot of the work again. Why not just move there now?
                            I was thinking that, but have you seen the tuition fees over there? Why pay more than four times the price to learn the same material you learn here. I think studying here and then moving would be alot cheaper
                            coconn

Comment

Originally posted by coconn View Post
                              I was thinking that, but have you seen the tuition fees over there? Why pay more than four times the price to learn the same material you learn here. I think studying here and then moving would be alot cheaper
                              ...And I suppose the day you're diagnosed with diabetes and can't get health insurance over there any more, you'll be back over here expecting to be treated for free on the Good Old NHS?!?
                              Have you ever heard of the expression "you can't have your cake and eat it"?
                              Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Working...
                              X