Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pay in pharmacy isnt as bad as made out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay in pharmacy isnt as bad as made out!

I know theres been a lot of debate about how much people earn and some people on here being unhappy with their pay. Found this and its quite accurate and it shows a pharmacists pay is decent

3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Very interesting, Giggsy; I felt quite smug until I saw where "medical practitioners" were in this list... Now I feel pig-sick again!!!!
    Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Where did the daily mail get these saleries from?

Originally posted by giggsy View Post
      I know theres been a lot of debate about how much people earn and some people on here being unhappy with their pay. Found this and its quite accurate and it shows a pharmacists pay is decent

Where did the daily mail get these saleries from? I not sure the average hospital pharmacist earns £37k (approx 10k less usually). Also my friend is a teacher and only earns £24K (a bit different than on this list)

Whitecoat

Comment

Pay

Hi

I am quite happy with my salary, and find I earn more then most people I know. I find that 35k is enough to give me quite a good life, and for money to drastically change my life I would have to get enough to retire and spend my days playing golf! If I earned 100k a year I would still have to go to work, I'd just have a better car and a bigger house - probably with rooms in it I'd never use anyway!

What annoys me is the time I spent studying for a job that could be done with the qualification time of a nurse - two years post "O" level. I feel cheated that I spend years qualifying to do what I do.
        Last edited by admin; 8, December 2006, 10:27 PM.
        Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
        Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
        Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
          Hi

I am quite happy with my salary, and find I earn more then most people I know. I find that 35k is enough to give me quite a good life, and for money to drastically change my life I would have to get enough to retire and spend my days playing golf! If I earned 100k a year I would still have to go to work, I'd just have a better car and a bigger house - probably with rooms in it I'd never use anyway!

What annoys me is the time I spent studying for a job that could be done with the qualification time of a nurse - two years post "O" level. I feel cheated that I spend years qualifying to do what I do.
          are you saying that studying pharmacy was a big mistake?

Comment

Mistake?

are you saying that studying pharmacy was a big mistake?
            The grass can always look greener.

So giggsy, my good friend, here is some insight into my mind.

The green pastures of pharmacy have the following weeds growing in there.
            We have been saying that the hours are long and the public expectations are raised for us to be open even longer. If you are an employee you are under pressure to cover these hours. Look at the PJ. We have reached the situation in the 21st century where people have to write letters about having a break at work. Its shambolic.

The busiest times in a normal pharmacy are first thing in the morning, and last thing in the evening. Staying bright and sharp with 100% concentration takes a lot out of you.

Public expectations of what you can do are raised. Medicines are consumer goods and the public get very aggressive if there is someone asking them questions that temporally separate them from their goods. However, they are then equally aggressive if they suffer harm because of your 'negligence'.

Policing the prescription exemption system makes you very weary. Keeping up with all the allowances and rules in that area means that your time is used as a public resource. In the meantime your other paid work is piling up higher and higher.

The roles are extending, the weight of responsibility is increasing. Sometimes it can be crushing.... why is this?... here's the next section.

Rules and regulations are being heaped on with a new load being heaped over the old before you get the chance to sort out the first lot. Now everyone has a say in how you have to do even the smallest thing.

So from a bright young pharmacist --- you slowly morph into a Jobsworth.
            You are then perfect for the system.

However, in the meantime this thinking has become part of your psyche.

You then hate what you have become. That's what I hate about it.
            47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
            2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
            How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
              The grass can always look greener.

So giggsy, my good friend, here is some insight into my mind.

The green pastures of pharmacy have the following weeds growing in there.
              We have been saying that the hours are long and the public expectations are raised for us to be open even longer. If you are an employee you are under pressure to cover these hours. Look at the PJ. We have reached the situation in the 21st century where people have to write letters about having a break at work. Its shambolic.

The busiest times in a normal pharmacy are first thing in the morning, and last thing in the evening. Staying bright and sharp with 100% concentration takes a lot out of you.

Public expectations of what you can do are raised. Medicines are consumer goods and the public get very aggressive if there is someone asking them questions that temporally separate them from their goods. However, they are then equally aggressive if they suffer harm because of your 'negligence'.

Policing the prescription exemption system makes you very weary. Keeping up with all the allowances and rules in that area means that your time is used as a public resource. In the meantime your other paid work is piling up higher and higher.

The roles are extending, the weight of responsibility is increasing. Sometimes it can be crushing.... why is this?... here's the next section.

Rules and regulations are being heaped on with a new load being heaped over the old before you get the chance to sort out the first lot. Now everyone has a say in how you have to do even the smallest thing.

So from a bright young pharmacist --- you slowly morph into a Jobsworth.
              You are then perfect for the system.

However, in the meantime this thinking has become part of your psyche.

You then hate what you have become. That's what I hate about it.

1. This forum has put me right off pharmacy although i have offers
              2. This is exactly why i want to work in the us

Comment

Put Off....

1. This forum has put me right off pharmacy although i have offers
                2. This is exactly why i want to work in the us

I have told it like it is, but it is my point of view.

Obviously, if you have the potential to study pharmacy you must be quite a bright person. Its a critical decision that you have to make.
                How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

£35K- not enough for the younger generation of pharmacists

Originally posted by admin View Post
                  Hi

Hi Admin

£35K may be enough for the older generation of pharmacists who mortgages are probably around £200pcm with zero debt but £35K very average for the younger generation of pharmacists.
                  I think the younger generation will probably feel much more 'cheated' after completing a four year degree, a year's pre-reg (with a 70% pass mark), average 20K in debt and are now totally priced out of the housing market and don't earn anywhere near £35K

Whitecoat

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post

Policing the prescription exemption system makes you very weary.
                    That's why I can't wait for April 1st 2007, when Rx charges will be scrapped in Wales!
                    Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Opticians

From Giggy's table...
                      The opticians salary surprised me, being about the same as a pharmacist.

Probably a good alternative for those examining career choices?
                      How times change.

Comment

Originally posted by whitecoat View Post
                        Hi Admin

£35K may be enough for the older generation of pharmacists who mortgages are probably around £200pcm with zero debt but £35K very average for the younger generation of pharmacists.
                        I think the younger generation will probably feel much more 'cheated' after completing a four year degree, a year's pre-reg (with a 70% pass mark), average 20K in debt and are now totally priced out of the housing market and don't earn anywhere near £35K

Whitecoat
                        The day after registration you start earning - and probably more than 35k - it's the older generation of pharmacists - with paid off mortgages working part time that brings the average down to £35k (That and the altruistic pharmacists who work in hospital) - Long hours of community locum work (10 hour days, 6 days a week at £25/hr) can see you not only earning more but also keeping more of what you earn.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                          The day after registration you start earning - and probably more than 35k - it's the older generation of pharmacists - with paid off mortgages working part time that brings the average down to £35k (That and the altruistic pharmacists who work in hospital) - Long hours of community locum work (10 hour days, 6 days a week at £25/hr) can see you not only earning more but also keeping more of what you earn.

Jeff
                          Of course if you cut out the lower paid the average goes down dhhaa. Whats you point? To get 35K in pharmacy in Hospital you need to have been working for about 10 years. Locum work in hospitals has dried up and community jobs I have seen pay average about 32K. The average house price is 180K or a monthly repayment of about £1100 per month. Monthly income about £1400 mortgage £1100 council tax £100 the incovience of eating £200 per month and not forgetting thos debts. Not much left. Before you tell me to share a shoe box in the middle of a guetto. Ask yourself this, when you first started pharmacy could you afford a small house on your wage. Even with a partner, I factually can't.

Whitecoat

Comment

Originally posted by whitecoat View Post
                            Of course if you cut out the lower paid the average goes down dhhaa. Whats you point? To get 35K in pharmacy in Hospital you need to have been working for about 10 years. Locum work in hospitals has dried up and community jobs I have seen pay average about 32K. The average house price is 180K or a monthly repayment of about £1100 per month. Monthly income about £1400 mortgage £1100 council tax £100 the incovience of eating £200 per month and not forgetting thos debts. Not much left. Before you tell me to share a shoe box in the middle of a guetto. Ask yourself this, when you first started pharmacy could you afford a small house on your wage. Even with a partner, I factually can't.

Whitecoat
                            stop whinging, for gods sake everyone hates their job, which profession doesnt have problems, pharmacy is a good job, its saving people. I dont get why one person cant earn more than 37k if they put their mind to it.

Comment

stop whinging, for gods sake everyone hates their job, which profession doesnt have problems, pharmacy is a good job, its saving people. I dont get why one person cant earn more than 37k if they put their mind to it.
                              Saving people
                              Yes prehaps we can earn over £37K by working 10 hour days, 6 days a week. There goes by social life!!!!

Whitecoat

Comment

Working...
                              X