Salbutamol POM-to-P switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salbutamol POM-to-P switch

I have been following with great interest the continuing comments in the PJ about the possible reclassification of salbutamol mdi's; indeed, it is the most common item that is requested as an emergency supply in my pharmacy, averaging 5.32 requests per bank holiday monday...
    Whilst I have no idea WHEN the POM-to-P switch is going to happen- nor even IF it ever will!- I am however willing to stake my reputation on the following prediction: its RRP will be at least £9.95, more likely £14.95, and the pharmaceutical industry will attempt to justify this price in the same manner that Schering did when they hiked up the price of Levonelle from £19 to £25 a few years ago:I quote:
    "Our Consumer "willingness-to-pay" research has demonstrated that such a price increase is sustainable"
    In plain English:"We've got you over a barrel and we're gonna fleece you, after all, this country isn't known as "Rip-off Britain" for nothing!"
    Am I right or am I right?
    Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

You're just so cynical!

You would never catch me defaming the good name of big pharma as if they didn't really care about the general public but only about their own profits!

Of course there is that letter I've written to the journal about all the leaflets from Rosemont that I found in our local surgery suggesting that everyone who ahs trouble swallowing a tablet has life threatening dysphagia and should therefore ask their Dr to write a Rx for liquid bendroflumethiazide at only £50 a bottle!

Apart from that I'm as pure as the trodden snow! Did I mean trodden? Yes, I do believe I did!
    Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
    pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
    eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggite
      I have been following with great interest the continuing comments in the PJ about the possible reclassification of salbutamol mdi's; indeed, it is the most common item that is requested as an emergency supply in my pharmacy, averaging 5.32 requests per bank holiday monday...
      Whilst I have no idea WHEN the POM-to-P switch is going to happen- nor even IF it ever will!- I am however willing to stake my reputation on the following prediction: its RRP will be at least £9.95, more likely £14.95, and the pharmaceutical industry will attempt to justify this price in the same manner that Schering did when they hiked up the price of Levonelle from £19 to £25 a few years ago:I quote:
      "Our Consumer "willingness-to-pay" research has demonstrated that such a price increase is sustainable"
      In plain English:"We've got you over a barrel and we're gonna fleece you, after all, this country isn't known as "Rip-off Britain" for nothing!"
      Am I right or am I right?
      Yes you are dead right. When I worked in a hospital we could buy becloforte inhalers for a staggering 69p. Yes, thats how much the company would sell them to us. Thats only because once on them, the patients GP has to pay a hell of a lot more for the same inhaler.

Everything in this country is a rip-off, including health.
      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
      Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Re: Salbutamol POM-to-P switch

"Salbutamol POM-to-P switch "

wondering what stopped the process of re-classification?
        [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
        [/COLOR]

Comment

bugger off
          [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
          [/COLOR]

Comment

Not really amusing posting stupid senseless links. Tosser.
            http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...snroses2-1.jpg

”We are real. We are not glam sh*t or anything else. We are Guns N’ Roses.”

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul View Post
              bugger off
              Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
              Not really amusing posting stupid senseless links. Tosser.
              The spam post has been deleted, and the spammer banned.
              While I agree with the sentiment behind your posts, it's best if you just click on "report to mod" and leave it be, as otherwise the poor mod has to chase up all your posts as well, which is much more difficult and time-consuming!
              ....just my opinion

Comment

Ok David will keep in mind for future.
                http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...snroses2-1.jpg

”We are real. We are not glam sh*t or anything else. We are Guns N’ Roses.”

Comment

how can we go on reporting a post? can't see the report option.
                  [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul View Post
                    how can we go on reporting a post? can't see the report option.
                    The red and white triangle thing in the top right corner of the post.

Also, I think a reclassification of Sulbutamol from POM to P would be great news. However, if the price goes up surely that just counteracts the reclassification? People would be less likely to pay for the supply and thus the reclassification would not ease access to health - which i am sure is one of the main points of doing it.
                    I like beef and i like liver, meow mix meow mix please deliver.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerSwift View Post
                      The red and white triangle thing in the top right corner of the post.
                      Exactly...click on that and admin and mods receive an instant email with the details of the reported post. One of us will take action on it asap.

Fleeg.
                      Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

I dont think it will happen because of the potential for abuse. Its something that can increase the potential surface area of the lungs ie more room for absorbance. Drug abusers who inhale their drug of choice could use this to their advantage, think about smoking heroin, crack and marijauna...

Comment

Every system is open for abuse, no matter what it is. People are able to abuse OTC Paracetamol limits. And outside of pharmacy more things get abused.

I think it would be selfish to restrict reclassifications because of the potential for drug users to 'abuse' the product. If this change would allow a pharmacist to assist a potentially large group of patients, who used these medicines, more than they can now then this is an even stronger case for reclassification. I also do not beleive many drug users would know to use inhalers for this effect either - though correct me if i am wrong.
                          I like beef and i like liver, meow mix meow mix please deliver.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
                            I think OTC salbutamol would be useful but it wouldn't be appropriate for the 200 dose inhalers to be sold OTC - some people would inevitably use them as an alternative to getting proper medical assistance.

A 20 dose inhaler would be useful because it would be enough to tide someone over in an emergency. A sensible price for a 20 dose inhaler would be about £5 (in my opinion). If it was too cheap it would probably be misused on a large scale. The price would need to be affordable but must also be high enough to discourage misuse and to provide a reasonable return to the pharmacy. They could call it Ventolin-P.

Bobbin

Comment

Working...
                            X