Are pharmacists guinea pigs for covid19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are pharmacists guinea pigs for covid19

With an open door policy and welcome to the consulting room with no triage or any form of screening. I am expetiencing extreme increase in queries and workload over the Covid 19 pandemic. Are we the test subjects for this virus?

No protection of any substance has been implemented a few masks and gloves too little too late and offer no real protection. Whilst surgeries closed their doors and asked for phone Triage we as the Guinea pigs are cannon fodder for all to abuse and cough at. Not to mention the increase in verbal abuse and the coughing at us with dont worry I dont have it hehe. Annoys me and shows the lack of respect to our profession. I conclude as a famous pharmacy publication that indeed we are Guinea pigs after all and the cesspit of healthcare!! Discuss.

Have a bit of common sense and restrict access to pharmacies now otherwise there will be mass closures soon due to infected staff. Stop using the consultation room and only allow one or two people in at a time, that way your conversation will be private anyway.

I did that last week (in Ireland) but still wasn’t happy at how close people were coming to staff so today, like many others, I put a table in front of a locked door with a sign for people to knock and wait. We put a notice on Facebook asking people to phone for regular prescriptions. It was mad busy but far more efficient and as safe as is possible.

Protect yourselves whatever way you can while your government is out of step with the rest of the world. The death toll will be huge and will include many healthcare workers.

Comment

Happens every year with every flu outbreak. Yes, this is more contagious and deadly, but stopping sick workers coming in and bad hand hygiene will reduce the risk. Do the sort of stuff gordon proposed on the other thread.

3300 Chinese health workers got the virus, but only 13 died. Given the circumstances it is surprising it wasn't higher.

Comment

There are several points about health and hygiene in modern pharmacies that I have never liked:

1) The use of floor level fan heaters. These circulate a mixture of exhaled droplets, floor and street dust, shed skin cells and positive ions (which deplete the immune system) all heated to an ideal temperature for microbial replication.

2) The use of open plan dispensaries which allows the ingress of the above. Also people can see straight in and hear what is said, which can allow lapses of patient confidentiality.

3) Patients standing around waiting which except in accute cases is rarely necessary and is just an added stress factor.

Comment

Originally posted by Mutley View Post
          There are several points about health and hygiene in modern pharmacies that I have never liked:

1) The use of floor level fan heaters. These circulate a mixture of exhaled droplets, floor and street dust, shed skin cells and positive ions (which deplete the immune system) all heated to an ideal temperature for microbial replication.

2) The use of open plan dispensaries which allows the ingress of the above. Also people can see straight in and hear what is said, which can allow lapses of patient confidentiality.

3) Patients standing around waiting which except in accute cases is rarely necessary and is just an added stress factor.
          The open plan dispensary is cheaper and patients want to see in and employers wants them to see you incase you are eating a cake and having a good laugh.

Comment

Oh for the good old days when sometimes the dispensary was on a different floor and away from prying eyes. Took me some time to get used to an open dispensary where I sometimes felt like an animal in a zoo.
            johnep

Comment

Update, medical practices closed their door shut, now everybody coming to us for queries not relating to Pharmacy, such as will my op get cancelled? I feel anxious! My waterworks appointments has been cancelled what do I do????? Honestly amy film directors out there I can make you millions if you record in my pharmacy the queries are awesome lately. Guinea pig is I lol

Comment

Originally posted by Primrose View Post
                Update, medical practices closed their door shut, now everybody coming to us for queries not relating to Pharmacy, such as will my op get cancelled? I feel anxious! My waterworks appointments has been cancelled what do I do????? Honestly amy film directors out there I can make you millions if you record in my pharmacy the queries are awesome lately. Guinea pig is I lol
                Seriously you have to stop talking face to face with these people, and everyone else NOW.

This is St Patrick’s Day, our national holiday in Ireland. Usually it starts with a church service, then standing in the rain and cold at a parade followed by a nice meal and a visit to the pub to celebrate our music and culture. Not today. None of those are possible (unless you cook for yourself). It has just taken myself and a tech four hours to clear the backlog from yesterday. The pharmacy is completely blocked off with nobody getting past the front door.

Waken up. You have to get real.
                Oh and contrary to what some people spouted on TV, Ireland DOES have a health service but we still closed our schools.

Comment

Originally posted by hibernia View Post

Seriously you have to stop talking face to face with these people, and everyone else NOW.

This is St Patrick’s Day, our national holiday in Ireland. Usually it starts with a church service, then standing in the rain and cold at a parade followed by a nice meal and a visit to the pub to celebrate our music and culture. Not today. None of those are possible (unless you cook for yourself). It has just taken myself and a tech four hours to clear the backlog from yesterday. The pharmacy is completely blocked off with nobody getting past the front door.

Waken up. You have to get real.
                  Oh and contrary to what some people spouted on TV, Ireland DOES have a health service but we still closed our schools.
                  Are you serious our bosses stopped us wearing gloves! Claiming it upsets customers, do you think closing the door will be allowed?

Comment

• Mutley
                    Mutley commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Are you serious? These oiks should be reported and 1) have their asses sued off if any staff contract Covid-19 2) Barred from ever owning, directing, managing or working in any pharmacy ever again

Originally posted by Primrose View Post

Are you serious our bosses stopped us wearing gloves! Claiming it upsets customers, do you think closing the door will be allowed?
                  Many shops, cafes and so on have stopped taking cash for a week now. Pretty much everywhere is wearing gloves.

Comment

Watched Pandemic 1918 last night. Had to stop after some time as too graphic. No good diuretics in those days and people drowned in their own blood and secretions.
                    Glad I have some diuretics in my drug stash.. Suggest you watch this prog to see what could happen and why isolation is best preventative. The ship carrying troops from USA to Europe became a death coffin for many soldiers. No A/C on ships in those days so conditions at night were dreadful. (Leviathan). This flu is similar. In 1918 flu was carried by ships and trains. Now death comes on the wings of aviation. Far more efficient for Nature's last attempt to reduce the population.
                    johnep
                    Last edited by johnep; 19th, March 2020, 10:16 AM.

Comment

I'd be wearing a half face mask fitted with P3 filters personally, this is better protection than what most medical staff are using and at £25 is pretty cheap, or at least was before the pandemic. The primary method of transmission is droplet infection not surface contamination so I would say masks are better than gloves at preventing infection.

Comment

I will get my son to 3D print a face visor top bar. Cheap sheet of plastic and bingo!. As in isolation will use for eye protection when sharpening tools on my grind stone. If in a customer facing role, then you can make out of 2 ltr water bottles. Several videos on Utube.
                        johnep
                        Last edited by johnep; 29th, March 2020, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Really shows how Pharmacists are down the pecking order when they’ve only just been publicly praised by the Prime minister for their service...yet Doctors, Nurses even supermarket checkout staff have all been lauded for their work from the very start.

Comment

Oh! We did get a clap as well or were we the ones applauding others?
                            johnep

Comment

Working...
                            X