Covid-19 & ACE inhibitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covid-19 & ACE inhibitors

It appears that the virus uses ACE2 in the body as it’s receptor, ACE inhibitors seem to enhance the affects of the virus whereas ARB’s have a protective action (particularly losartan & telmisartan). There was an article in the BMJ at the end of January about it. Shouldn’t Governments / Dr’s encourage switching from ACE inhibitors to ARB’s for most patients during this pandemic?

Haven't yet read the BMJ article but I have read reports from doctors in China saying that people with high blood pressure were most likely to die. This needs urgent looking into. Comments?

Comment

I am at risk from several factors, Diabetic, High BP, Pulmonary Fibrosis and Sleep Apnoea.
      however, at present Cambridgeshire only has one case. They are in isolation. Confinement to home OK if you have an estate and no children. As usual, the wealthy will come off better than those in tenements.
      johnep

Comment

Not enough evidence to advice against the use of ACEIs... https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2763803

This is a position statement from the European Society of Cardiology https://www.escardio.org/Councils/Co...bitors-and-ang ,

from the 13/03 so not sure if there's been any new publications since, but several other organizations have release similar statements. Hope it helps

Thank you

Sara

Comment

Excuse my ignorance, ARBs ?
          johnep

Comment

Angiotensin II Receptor Blockers such as candesartan, losartan etc.

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
            Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
            Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Thanks, I was taking Candesartan but stopped as Dr thought might affect my kidney problems.
              Just take three meds at present. B,C.D (Beta Blocker , Calcium antagonisr, mild diuretic {Spironolactone})
              Had our first Sainsbury delivery today. A few O/S and a few substitutions. Our Toilet rolls also arrived. Now have enough for a year!
              johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                Thanks, I was taking Candesartan but stopped as Dr thought might affect my kidney problems.
                Just take three meds at present. B,C.D (Beta Blocker , Calcium antagonisr, mild diuretic {Spironolactone})
                Had our first Sainsbury delivery today. A few O/S and a few substitutions. Our Toilet rolls also arrived. Now have enough for a year!
                johnep
                We're monitoring our toilet roll paper use. Elderly husband and wife in the house. Put a new roll up on 18th; still got several days-worth left. Ergo, a roll lasts about 10 days. or one person = 3 weeks use. Obviously if there were more people in the house more would be needed. So a family of four should need slightly under one a week.

I should get out more, but I'm in two risk categories!

Comment

• admin
                  admin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Err women have needs and plenty of toilet roll is one of those needs

Yes, we seem to go through two a week. When my daughter comes to stay (in normal times) we go through twice as many plus have to have plenty of fizzy water. I took a pic of our stash to amuse the children.
                johnep

Comment

One man, one woman in this household.

Comment

• admin
                    admin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Same here!
                Working...
                X