Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surprise Consultation on the Introduction of Pharmacist Apprenticeship in England

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnep View Post
    When I first applied to the shoe back in 1950, I was told that they preferred people with Higher Schools Certificate (A levels) for their healthcare counters.
    johnep
    You're from the 'greatest generation ever' though JohnEP.

Interesting though, because in 1950 when A-levels were invented the year after, presumably that was worth quite a lot.

Comment

Probably yes. Although being born during the slump of the 30s meant that my parents could not afford a great deal and also the war years were frugal. Just after the war, I queued for 3 hours just to buy an ice cream. I had no idea what a banana was. At a friends party we had a "banana" sandwich made from mashed parsnips and banana essence. With no TV we often queued to see the latest Norman Wisdom film at the cinema. Usually until a performance was playing and we waited for the next one. However, had a choice of 6 Grammar Schools and really no problems in getting a job at any time. My first locum was £20 for the week.
      All uni fees were free so no debt.
      The "no graduate" year when the course became 4 years meant I was besieged with locum requests on retiring from industry and this continued until I finally ceased to be a pharmacist on Dec 31st 2009.
      johnep

Comment

I think it's worth noting that even though the consultation was only widely publicised with 3-4 days left 6,000 people responded (as reported by C+D)

I know as pharmacists we frequently label ourselves as generally apathetic as a profession. Seeing this level of mobilisation from the profession in such a short timeframe has given me a bit of hope for the future. Whether for or against at least we're clearly taking an interest.
        I remember when a blog was an individual boot.

Comment

Working...
        X