Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BrianA
    replied
    The state pays for nothing unless you are unemployed/on benefits. For patients it is individual private insurance or individual and employer to state insurance scheme. Hospitals and homes pay for the service.

Leave a comment:

• hibernia
    replied
    Originally posted by BrianA View Post
    In Germany I am witnessing them becoming very positive about the benefits of MDS in Rehab hospitals and Nursing homes. They have staffing problems just like the UK therefore they are looking at ways to ameliorate them and associated medicines management issues.
    Do you know who pays for them? The home, the patient or the state/ insurance system? I don’t imagine German pharmacies would provide them for free.

Leave a comment:

• BrianA
    replied
    In Germany I am witnessing them becoming very positive about the benefits of MDS in Rehab hospitals and Nursing homes. They have staffing problems just like the UK therefore they are looking at ways to ameliorate them and associated medicines management issues.

Leave a comment:

• Mutley
    replied
    Have Lloyds and Boots stopped MDS's? This topic seems to have gone very quiet.

Leave a comment:

• squonk
    replied
    Original packs IMHO are safer the carers have the opportunity to check the box, contents and expiry date. Carers cannot assume that a single medicine MDS or a community MDS do not require a check at the point of administration. How many backing sheets on nomads etc accurately give a correct description with variable use of generics?

Leave a comment:

• squonk
    replied
    This confirms the suspicion I have.
    How many community pharmacists truly understand the NICE guidance regarding Managing Medication in Care Homes and for adults receiving social care in the community.

For example care workers in the community can give medicines from OPs. Care workers can administer medicines in care homes. Appropriate training updating and assessment needs to be in place.

Here’s a question or two

A care home calls to say a client is refusing to take their medication is it OK to mix it with some food eg yoghurt?

A carer assists a client with a community MDS. Do they need to complete a medication record? Do they need to have been trained to administer from a community MDS?

Leave a comment:

• mcitr
    replied
    Originally posted by Merlyn View Post
    According to the Pharmaceutical Journal both Boots and Lloyds are discontinuing dispensing into MDS. I get the impression that Care Homes and Carers organisations are not too happy about it. Official story is that now everything is OP there's no need for MDS.

Interesting thought.
    Hurray. Fantastic news if it's true.

Leave a comment:

• Nimrec
    replied
    Originally posted by Mutley View Post

This surely was the whole point from the Care Home's p.o.v.

MDS were just beginning to get established when I sold up in 1996. I refused to do them as I did not see why I should be peremtorily instructed to carry out a litigation prone procedure, f.o.c., the aim of which was to put nurses out of business.

Boots introduced them iirc late 80's early 90's and started doing them f.o.c., thinking that the Gov't would realise how lovely they are and start paying, with an outcome that we have all seen.

In the ROI pharmacists get a proper rate for doing them, iirc about 5 Euros per tray.

You're right about the reimbursement in Ireland but as always seems the case the multiples took the proverbial and almost ruined it for everyone.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/heal...fees-1.2387612

Leave a comment:

• hazeleyes
    replied
    Care workers yes,in the community. I think they would still be offering community MDS, it's guaranteed script figures as pharmacy can now only order meds for vulnerable patients, mostly those who require an MDS. In nursing homes only nurses are allowed to give meds, carers can only give topical non medicated creams/ointments. We have several homes on OPD and no problems, so much quicker to dispense. But now we are poaching the ones that want to stay on MDS too as a lone independent in a town full of multiples we need all the scripts we can get.

Leave a comment:

• johnep
    replied
    The company I was working for started offering MDS FOC and put an advert in the window. In came a care worker with several packs dispensed elsewhere and asked us to put into MDS. She said that we offered a free MDS service and they were only allowed to give meds via MDS. The other chemist wanted to charge. I explained that no way could we redispense someones meds as would then be legally responsible for any errors.
    I believe care workers not allowed to give meds from OPs so forecast problems. Often they only have 15 mins allowed for each call.
    johnep

Leave a comment:

• Mutley
    replied
    Originally posted by johnep View Post
    Oh dear! They will now have to employ skilled staff to supervise meds. Boots and Lloyds will be able to reduce staff hours.
    johnep
    This surely was the whole point from the Care Home's p.o.v.

MDS were just beginning to get established when I sold up in 1996. I refused to do them as I did not see why I should be peremtorily instructed to carry out a litigation prone procedure, f.o.c., the aim of which was to put nurses out of business.

Boots introduced them iirc late 80's early 90's and started doing them f.o.c., thinking that the Gov't would realise how lovely they are and start paying, with an outcome that we have all seen.

In the ROI pharmacists get a proper rate for doing them, iirc about 5 Euros per tray.

Leave a comment:

• hazeleyes
    replied
    Yes I believe that OPD is becoming 'best practice' and the cqc will be going with that advice too. We have just acquired a nursing home from boots who are in denial about the whole thing so when OPD becomes mandatory hopefully we will have retained a few hundred items.

Leave a comment:

• johnep
    replied
    Oh dear! They will now have to employ skilled staff to supervise meds. Boots and Lloyds will be able to reduce staff hours.
    johnep
    Last edited by johnep; 25th, June 2019, 03:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Merlyn
    started a topic The end of MDS?

The end of MDS?

According to the Pharmaceutical Journal both Boots and Lloyds are discontinuing dispensing into MDS. I get the impression that Care Homes and Carers organisations are not too happy about it. Official story is that now everything is OP there's no need for MDS.

Interesting thought.
Working...
X