NHS no longer allowing scripts for common conditions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHS no longer allowing scripts for common conditions

I am currently suffering from conjunctivitis. This is listed on a leaflet from my chemist as a condition for which I should purchase an item OTC.
    If so, then a few POMs will need transferring to the P classification. I am having trouble with administering drops so prefer a gel for my dry eye and an ointment for an infection. However, both fusidic acid and chloramphenicol gel and ointments only available by script. So, will the DOH transfer a slew of products from POM to P ?
    johnep

Chloramphenicol Ointment is available as a P ! (there was a temp shortage mind you)

It would be good if DOH transferred a bunch of products to P category, as long as the manufacturers don't create really complex protocols for all of them .

Comment

Most areas have a minor ailments scheme too which is of course free if you don't pay for your prescriptions.

Comment

According to this official website, still a POM. Or, did it change recently?

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/3533/smpc

johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
          According to this official website, still a POM. Or, did it change recently?

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/3533/smpc

johnep
          That is probably a POM pack.It also comes as p like
          https://www.optrex.co.uk/optrex-rang...-eye-ointment/

Comment

Thanks for posting that info. Looks as if regs similar to those when we had to have different packs because of Purchase Tax regs. When in industry caused us some production problems. However, in the end we standardised on the "PT " label.
            johnep.

Comment

It's probably because the two products have different licenses. The POM product is licensed for infants of any age but the P product is only licensed for Children over the age of two years.
              [I]Nice information. I like your information very much. It is a perfect information that clears all my doubts and gives a clear idea regarding that. It is really advantageous for me.I would definably take the benefit of it.[/I]

Comment

OK would bre nice now for Fusidic acid to also be available.
                johnep

Comment

Remember that if you have a long term condition which is affected by the rule change you can still get the medication prescribed. An example is Looeramide. There were weepings and wailings and gnashing of teeth on the Crohn’s forum with people saying they wouldn’t be able to buy Loperamide by the bucketful as they normally did but I pointed out that long term conditions would be unaffected and they would be able to get a script from their GP just as they do now.

In your case where you needed a specific formulation then a phone call to your GP or practice pharmacist should be sufficient to get you a script. Or even the community pharmacist if he were an IP, he could do it for you.

Comment

Working...
                  X