Sigma Pharmacy Conference 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sigma Pharmacy Conference 2018

Just arrived at this years event ,currently listening to Sir Kevin Barron chair of the all party commons pharmacy committee. A man who talks a lot of sense . Why can't more of our professional leaders take a leaf from his book ?

Comment

So where is it being held....somewhere tropical?
      johnep

Comment

Kota Kinabalu, Borneo

Comment

Richard Thomas from Pharmacy Magazine , explains the role of the trade press in supporting pharmacist

Comment

Comment

Does it do the profession any favours having these elaborate overseas conferences?

I know a lot of it is covered by manufacturers but when the government is clearly aware that contractors are going to Borneo or Rio for a conference the argument that we are at breaking point financially starts to look weak.
              I remember when a blog was an individual boot.

Comment

Nice place Kota Kinabalu. Especially if the weaher's like it is in Thailand, where I am at the moment.. I do agree with Nimrec, though.

Comment

It can all be claimed against tax as part of CPD. Started to get Drs to company sponsored conferences.
                  johnep

Comment

Hemant Patel has just spoken about his vision for the future of Pharmacy. He is so insightful,its time the leaders of our profession especially the RPS ,PSNC and NPA wake up and start seeing the reality, the NHS is changing and Pharmacy must change . Hemant was spot on , we must get him back to the top table .If he stands for the RPS board we must elect him and we must get rid of the luddites currently managing the profession.

Comment

• Locum X
                      Locum X commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well...I look forward to reading an article about his presentation, I guess. From what I've read previously he appears to be a decent sort and not have his head in the clouds (or rectally self-inserted) but personally I've found his published commentary rife with corporate doublespeak ( http://www.atrixnet.com/bs-generator.html ) and actual insights or specifics on the way forward few and far between.

Here's the only quote I could find from his speech at the conference, “If pharmacy doesn’t fit into the new system it will be rejected. If it is not part of the new solution, it is part of the old problem. Pharmacists need to act, think and invest differently.”

Having said that, there's so many unknowns in pharmacy I doubt anyone can realistically guide the way forward so I'll give him credit for at least not towing the standard multiples and government line.

Realistically, in a profession at high risk of automation in a country where the end user doesn't want to pay and the sole paymaster is intent on a slash and burn mentality, there is little upside to be gleamed.

The safest way is probably to get out if you can. I'm likely to go down with the ship, however, being the sentimental and stubborn sort.

Finn Mcaul , another great orator with good ideas

Comment

Dear Pharmacist,

My name is Muaz Ashraf and I am a fourth-year pharmacy student, looking for participants for my dissertation on CPD preferences. I would greatly appreciate if you could complete my short survey, found here https://goo.gl/6a4Wej.

The data is to be presented to the GPhC, to hopefully make life easier for us.

More information on the project, my contact details and further information, can be found in the Participant Information Sheet here: https://goo.gl/71zrgZ

Thank you,

Muaz Ashraf

Comment

These survey requests come up every year. It is understandable that students choose a survey as a means of doing their dissertation. However, let us hope that they ask admin permission first.
                        Perhaps w could have forum rules/suggestion as a sticky.
                        johnep

Comment

• admin
                          admin commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I agree John but to be honest nobody reads the rules. I don’t mind the odd survey but a flood often follows.

Originally posted by muazashraf12 View Post
                        Dear Pharmacist,

My name is Muaz Ashraf and I am a fourth-year pharmacy student, looking for participants for my dissertation on CPD preferences. I would greatly appreciate if you could complete my short survey, found here https://goo.gl/6a4Wej.

The data is to be presented to the GPhC, to hopefully make life easier for us.

More information on the project, my contact details and further information, can be found in the Participant Information Sheet here: https://goo.gl/71zrgZ

Thank you,

Muaz Ashraf
                        Hello Muaz. Perhaps you can seek approval from admin? Once you have done this, I am sure many will help you.

Comment

Originally posted by Nimrec View Post
                          Does it do the profession any favours having these elaborate overseas conferences?

I know a lot of it is covered by manufacturers but when the government is clearly aware that contractors are going to Borneo or Rio for a conference the argument that we are at breaking point financially starts to look weak.
                          The cost to the delegates is considerably more than if you had sorted a holiday out for yourself at the same venue. Having said that, it would be tax deductible.

Comment

Working...
                          X