Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dr. Drug Rep

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dr. Drug Rep

    Here is a link to an interesting article just published in the NY times (titled Dr. Drug Rep). It is lengthy, but gives insight as to the power and tactfullness that the drug companies in the U.S. have. Not sure they go to these lengths in the UK, but I bet probably to some degree...

    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/25/ma...=1&oref=slogin

  • #2
    Re: Dr. Drug Rep

    Don't worry, I'm sure in this area Britain is only lagging behind the USA by about 10 years... Just like if you want to know what proportion of the UK population will be clinically obese in 2017, you just need to look at the present US population...
    Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Dr. Drug Rep

      Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
      Don't worry, I'm sure in this area Britain is only lagging behind the USA by about 10 years... Just like if you want to know what proportion of the UK population will be clinically obese in 2017, you just need to look at the present US population...
      In 10 years the U.S. may very well be non-existent due to the obesity in our population. It's probably better that we don't have a national health system as we couldn't afford it with all of the comorbid conditions people have...

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Dr. Drug Rep

        Originally posted by pharout View Post
        Here is a link to an interesting article just published in the NY times (titled Dr. Drug Rep). It is lengthy, but gives insight as to the power and tactfullness that the drug companies in the U.S. have. Not sure they go to these lengths in the UK, but I bet probably to some degree...

        http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/25/ma...=1&oref=slogin
        Interesting report. One of the reasons why medicines info pharmacists and PCT practice pharmacists have developed in the UK. Generally, in my experience, they are more critical of Big Pharma's statements.
        Some years ago, when advising a Family Planning Unit I was invited to a very pleasant session, similar to that described in the NYT. We had a presentation from an FP consultant in a neighbouring area, extolling the virtues of whatever the OC being promoted was. However, I'd had some prior notice so was able to ask a couple of questions and we didn't take it on. There was no advantage over what we had already, and it was a lot more expensive. I also found out the sort of money paid to the consultant.

        A few years later I was doing some work in a GP Practice close to the consultant's area, and found that this OC was frequently used. Apparently the consultant had contacted GP's in the area and "advised it's use".

        I don't that practice has used any more!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Dr. Drug Rep

          Attended PCT organised meeting on implementation of a PGD for EHC. Dr giving talk said Cerazette was now preferred oc, but did not say why.
          johnep

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Dr. Drug Rep

            Of course the drug industry go to such lengths in this country. Pharmacies sell data to IMS here as they do in USA. True it is anonymised re patients but I am sure that prescribers will be identified. Wholesalers also sell information about which pharmacy buys what quantities of which drug.

            That has been the case for at least 10 years.

            As for doctors prostituting themselves to endorse products, there is no shortage of volunteers. However the endorsement of a medicines management lead would be valuable if short lived once the P45 had been picked up!
            http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Dr. Drug Rep

              Originally posted by Tony Schofield View Post
              Of course the drug industry go to such lengths in this country. Pharmacies sell data to IMS here as they do in USA. True it is anonymised re patients but I am sure that prescribers will be identified. Wholesalers also sell information about which pharmacy buys what quantities of which drug.

              That has been the case for at least 10 years.

              As for doctors prostituting themselves to endorse products, there is no shortage of volunteers. However the endorsement of a medicines management lead would be valuable if short lived once the P45 had been picked up!
              Depends on who massages the statistics I guess.
              47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
              2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
              How times change.

              If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Dr. Drug Rep

                I was rep for many years. We received monthly stats on our meds and those of our competitors that the co paid for. Info was down to main post code, ie LU6, SG5 etc. Also worked in pharmacies where had to send regular info via invoices to IMS. Now done direct from cptr.

                IMS started in the 60s and used to send a Dr an LP for giving 5 min interview over 'phone. now much more sophisticated. Has been talk of PPA selling data for mkt research.

                If your index was good then likely the head hunters would start calling.If not then likely to be shown the door.
                johnep

                Comment

                Working...
                X