• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPSGB Fees 2008 £395

Just been announced

http://www.rpsgb.org.uk/pdfs/pr071101a.pdf

Re: RPSGB Fees 2008 £395

Call me cynical but I think this was perhaps the intention all along. Tell us that they're thinking of charging near 500 to shock and then charge 400 so it doesn't seem so bad. The actual increase is still a despicable amount.

Comment

Originally posted by ferretmanabu View Post
      Call me cynical but I think this was perhaps the intention all along. Tell us that they're thinking of charging near 500 to shock and then charge 400 so it doesn't seem so bad. The actual increase is still a despicable amount.
      Usual government trick at budget time isn't it.
      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

I fail to understand how they can budget effectively when they don't know what the premises registration fee is likely to be.

Jeff

Comment

Was flabbergasted that there were only two letters about this outrageous increase in last week's PJ. Apparently the £395 is double what we paid (in real terms) in 2001. It's about time someone really looked at our finances and how they are being spent.

Also, those of you whose employer picks up the tab - remember that this may not always be the case. In ten, twenty, thirty years you'll be propping up a poor pension with a couple of locums a week and working until July to pay Mr Darling AND Mr Gush! Staged payments - beware! It may rise to £125 a quarter...

Comment

Originally posted by shaggy-dog View Post
            Was flabbergasted that there were only two letters about this outrageous increase in last week's PJ. Apparently the £395 is double what we paid (in real terms) in 2001. It's about time someone really looked at our finances and how they are being spent.

Also, those of you whose employer picks up the tab - remember that this may not always be the case. In ten, twenty, thirty years you'll be propping up a poor pension with a couple of locums a week and working until July to pay Mr Darling AND Mr Gush! Staged payments - beware! It may rise to £125 a quarter...
            Yeah it stinks doesn't it. I notice the form is also red - I thought it was a final demand when I first looked at it!

I'm not surprised they only printed two letters - makes it look like most people are ok with it. How many people signed that on-line petition in the end?
            Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
            Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
            Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

After the General Pharmaceutical Council is formed to regulate pharmacists the remaining representative RPSGB rump will presumably become voluntary.?

One wonders how many will freely cough up after fee increases like this.?

I happen to think that this rump should be liquidated and a totally new and truly representative organisation for pharmacists should be established to replace it. In my opinion the RPSGB has failed miserably in its representative role

Comment

Originally posted by ymdawd View Post
                I happen to think that this rump should be liquidated and a totally new and truly representative organisation for pharmacists should be established to replace it.
                You mean the PDA?

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by ymdawd View Post
                  After the General Pharmaceutical Council is formed to regulate pharmacists the remaining representative RPSGB rump will presumably become voluntary.?

One wonders how many will freely cough up after fee increases like this.?

I happen to think that this rump should be liquidated and a totally new and truly representative organisation for pharmacists should be established to replace it. In my opinion the RPSGB has failed miserably in its representative role
                  I agree. I will need the PDA and the council - why would I join whatever is left? If it gave us protection and representation like the PDA does it might be worth joining, but it would have to compete with the PDA and I trust them more. Maybe they will merge in some way - what do others think?
                  Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                  Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

Possibly the PDA, who knows.? All I want is an organisation that looks after our interests, someone in our corner for a change.
                    The only thing Lambeth has looked after is its own interests. Why should I be forced to contribute to their over-inflated pension funds.? Who is going to contribute to the pensions of rank and file pharmacists.? Yes. Nobody.!
                    No wonder so many in the RPSGB membership are disillusioned.

Comment

I'm hoping that with regulatory matters stripped from it Lambeth may learn to look after pharmacists.

Look at what has happened since this split was foisted on us.

Open days at Lambeth, personal emails from Mr Patel.

I know they shot themselves in the b*ll*cks with this retention fee debacle but maybe it would be worth listening to Lambeth, if that's where the new body stays, for a little while.

They're not all completely brainlesss up there.

(When I say Lambeth I mean RPSGB council and employees, not other wonderful elected bodies! )
                      Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
                      pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
                      eloquent-e-tales

Comment

It is often said that there is nothing like an imminent execution to concentrate the mind of the " condemmed ".

So it is with the RPSGB which has suddenly realised that with no compulsory membership base its future viability may well be in doubt. Will the apathetic majority (approx. 80% ) continue to support ( albeit by default ) an organisation that has acted so arrogantly, when they have a choice whether or not to join it.? No I think not.

It begs the question " What would be a suitable replacement for the representative side of the RPSGB.? " , one which the vast majority of pharmacists would WANT to join.

Comment

Answer: THE PDA.
                          johnep

Comment

<<Answer: THE PDA.
                            johnep>>

Having just recently joined the PDA after much deliberation it does seem the logical choice.
                            At least it will not be quite so ready to prosecute its members, something for which the RPSGB may well rue the day.

Comment

Having just recently joined the PDA after much deliberation it does seem the logical choice.
                              I thought we had to have professional indemnity insurance - unless you own a pharmacy, because then you have the NPA . If you are an employee or self employed do you have another choice other then the PDA? On the "declare" section at the back of retention form for 2008 part 3 has on it "....and having in place appropriate indemnity arrangements". If you have recently joined the PDA what did you have before - some other type of insurance?

If you make an error (etc etc) and your employer won't support you, you are on your own, completely. The NPA helps pharmacies, not pharmacists. I'm just wondering what people not in the PDA are getting instead.
                              At least it will not be quite so ready to prosecute its members, something for which the RPSGB may well rue the day.
                              The PDA can't prosecute anyone. They are paid to be on your side, a thing the society has never done. The society are the police of pharmacy - they aren't there to help you - they are the ones who nick you! That's their function, basically.

Whenever I pay my annual fees, I feel like I am funding the Gestapo.........

Comment

Working...
                              X