This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Risan View Post
    hello everyone, I`m a trainee pharmacy technician and I need help with few questions.

I have to prepare W.S.P/Liquid paraffin 50%
    mtte 300g
    I cannot find the formula for this, can anyone help me please?
    150g WSP + 150g liquid paraffin
    Mix them together and there you have it.

Comment

• Hi I'm 37 I qualified as a Medicines Counter Assistant in October, I'm currently deciding I work for a big pharmacy been there 15 months, I'm in my notice period deciding on two jobs one as a Medicines Counter Assistant but with better days and a chance to go on the dispenser course after my probation and a smaller business than what I'm in now and the second job for a Trainee Dispenser job but with Rowlands not bad hours either both part time. I've heard lots of changes are happening in Rowlands and not always for the better.

Any advice welcome, thanks.

Comment

• Hallo all :-)

I've been offered a job as an Assistant Technical Officer in a hospital. There's also the chance of a completely different job in the pipeline.

I'm curious as to what opportunities there may be for me if I do take the ATO job. The Pearson Spec for the job is bafflingly low, though I would be expected to complete an NVQ L2 in Pharmacy Services. Obviously I'm aware that I could progress to become a Technical Officer, but beyond that, and perhaps laterally?

I'm sure this sort of thing is explained elsewhere, but I thought I might as well mention it when introducting myself.

Comment

• admin
          admin commented
          Editing a comment
          Well done and please keep us all informed of how it goes.

• huxley
          huxley commented
          Editing a comment
          For anyone interested: I have accepted the offer and am just waiting for pre-employment checks before confirming a start date.
          It looks like I may become a regular around this forum.

• admin
          admin commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice

• Originally posted by huxley View Post
        Hallo all :-)

I've been offered a job as an Assistant Technical Officer in a hospital. There's also the chance of a completely different job in the pipeline.

I'm curious as to what opportunities there may be for me if I do take the ATO job. The Pearson Spec for the job is bafflingly low, though I would be expected to complete an NVQ L2 in Pharmacy Services. Obviously I'm aware that I could progress to become a Technical Officer, but beyond that, and perhaps laterally?

I'm sure this sort of thing is explained elsewhere, but I thought I might as well mention it when introducting myself.
        The person specification is low because the position is an entry level position. So it’s for someone with little or no previous pharmacy experience. Effectively you are going to be a pharmacy assistant and will have the appropriate tasks for that role. In the community you would be a medicine counter assistant or a dispenser. You need to do the NVQ l2 for that role. In addition you may be required to work in the stores receiving and distributing goods.

So far as progression is concerned, you can either remain in that job indefinitely, or you can become a pharmacy technician and study for the NVQ L3. There are several options for this. One, you could do a distance learning course similar to that carried out by community pharmacy assistants. This could either be self funded, or your employer could pay for it. Alternatively your hospital could second you to a local college for one day a week theory and the remainder of your time based in hospital. This way to train is very competitive and you would need to compete with not only internal applicants but also external applicants. It is very worth the effort though.

Once you are a pharmacy technician you are only bound by your own ambition and ability. You will almost certainly become an Accuracy Checking technician and probably a Medicine Reconciliation technician both of which are needed for band 5 jobs. If you want to progress further you can take courses to become a mentor to student techs, and do management training. This will result in band 6 jobs as a supervisor. If you are really interested in management and want to move out of patient contact virtually completely then you would be looking for further management level courses and a degree to qualify you for band 7 or 8 jobs.

Laterally, I don’t think there is anything in pharmacy, but you could go into other jobs in various specialities, though all of those jobs would also be at band 2 or 3 level.

Heres a link to someone who started as an ato and his pregression.

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...y-thomas-james

You could also do a search on this forum for ato as your questions have been covered several times before.

Comment

• huxley
          huxley commented
          Editing a comment
          Excellent! Thanks for this info/link.

I'll look-up the ACT and MRC roles and read the link you sent.

I'll have a nosy around different parts of the forum too, for sure.

• hello all my name is sadeq
        am community pharmacist graduated from Pakistan and having my own pharmacy in my home land Palestine and hopping to enrich my knowledge background

Comment

• admin
          admin commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome. It would be nice to learn how Pharmacy operates in your part of the world.

• Well done and good luck in your venture.
        johnep

Comment

• Hi All,

I am new here and quite new in the UK too (a little less than 3 years) I am eager to pursue my career as a pharmacist with the first step of successfully registering in the UK. I will hopefully be joining the OSPAP in September 2019.
          My little one will just turn 2 right before I start.
          I have no family support here in the UK.

Anyone here have any suggestions/tips for the best OSPAP provider alongwith ( most affordable) childcare facilities? I was looking at Aston University. I would appreciate all suggestions and advice.

Thanking in advance.
          Fatima Eva

Comment

• Hello everyone, I'm new, I'm still studying for a dentist and I really like everything, I try to learn more about all this! Glad to see everyone!

Comment

• Welcome. Nice to have you on board. Are you studying to be a dentist? I didn’t quite understand your phrase “still studying for a dentist “.
              Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
              Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
              Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Working...
              X