Is the worth switching

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the worth switching

I will like to ask a few people opinions about switching to Pharmacy if it is worth it
    i did complete a Bsc (Hons ) in Pharmaceutics 12 years ago and a MSc and I have worked in the pharmaceutical industry for the past 12 years moving around various roles from QC to QA. I am 40 years old now.
    but of recent I have been nursing the ambition to go back and do pharmacy considering the fact that I have 3 young children and I always thought with pharmacy locum ( community practice) the hours could be flexible
    is it worth it stwiching to study to pharmacy?
    it will be a massive paycut for another 5 years if I take that decision ? I am reasonably paid well now but I really love the community practice but I will like others that have taken to go back to pharmacy after a degree if it is worth it and please can any pharmacist out there tell me their own experience

I'd advise staying where you are. Locum rates have been stagnated or falling for the past 10 years in community pharmacy.

Could you work towards your QP qualification in industry?

Great flexibility and incredible remuneration for a contract QP and you would continue to be paid for the 2-3 years it took to qualify.
    I remember when a blog was an individual boot.

Comment

I could write about the reality of life as a CP. No one believes us anyway.
      [Details of the reality have been deleted - all reports that contradict a 'bright clinical future' are pure heresy and are not to be read, listened to or thought about.]

You have a dilemma but working to get your QP in the pharma industry is the best suggestion and you should have the contacts to do this.

So here are a few quotes from Douglas Adams to lighten the mood.

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/544...like-this-when

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/679...-that-everyone
      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

I am considering going for the QP route but it will take take same amount of time for training (4 years ) ( 2 years do the MSc and at least another 2-3 years working as Trainee QP) but with the pharmacy degree you have more options career wise
        but is it worth it?

Comment

Approximately 5 years while being paid in a full time role to get your QP versus 5 years (MPharm +Pre-reg) to become a pharmacist with no finances except for student loans. Locum rates as a pharmacist between £20 and £25 an hour, QP salary equates to at least £30 to £35 per hour without considering contractor day rates of £1k to £2k per day.

Work-life balance in community pharmacy is absolutely shot. Stay in industry where you can garner respect with your experience and develop your career there.
          I remember when a blog was an individual boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Nimrec View Post

Work-life balance in community pharmacy is absolutely shot. Stay in industry where you can garner respect with your experience and develop your career there.
            If you were in industry what time would you finish on christmas eve?***
            When would you go back to work?

(*** insert alternative religious events if you follow another religion).

Also in industry you might have more employee benefits than you will ever have in community pharmacy.

How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Absolutely, In industry I would finish around 21st Dec and go back about 4th Jan. Sometimes volunteered to work the week after Christmas just answering the phones. In later years the week off at Christmas became standard.
              In retail you just got the two days.Christmas week always mad. The community pharmacy you remember now vanished. The other thing was Easter when could never go away as had to work Easter Saturday. One horrendous Christmas Eve when I got home at 9 pm was the when I decided to get out and get into industry. I never regretted although pay less at first but at the end earning far more than retail without all the agro.
              johnep

Comment

How about branching out...
                A pharmacist owned generics company so that when we dispense one of our generics we are making an income!
                Lack the knowledge to do it but I'm sure we can scrape up some funding together?
                How times change.

Comment

Unichem was a cooperative but sold out eventually. The fate of most mutuals.
                  johnep

Comment

Originally posted by DANDY1 View Post
                    I am considering going for the QP route but it will take take same amount of time for training (4 years ) ( 2 years do the MSc and at least another 2-3 years working as Trainee QP) but with the pharmacy degree you have more options career wise
                    but is it worth it?
                    It really depends on what you want to do afterwards. If it is simply for the money then no. But if you want other options in case your QP role ever is made redundant then it is most definitely useful. There are so many options out there if you are willing to look and/or take a risk.

community pharmacy however is on the end of a huge series of funding cuts
                    so these have to be factored in. However, there have been rimblings of pharmacist shortages coming (brexit / students going for other courses instead) so there is a possibility of increased Locum need in the future.

Difficult to say what will happen in 5 years time though.

You will need to be very committed to the course (not easy in the slightest) but as you have a huge amount of experience already then you should be ok.

just do your sums first.

Comment

Originally posted by dippsy View Post

just do your sums first.
                      Both financial and age sums!
                      Personally I would go for the QP and then leverage that role within the pharmaceutical industry.

Plus - have you thought how professionally isolated the job of community pharmacy actually is?
                      How times change.

Comment

Have you spend much time in community pharmacies, e.g shadowing pharmacists etc? If not, get as much exposure as you can and then see how you feel.
                        Unless you have fallen in love with the pharmacy profession and what pharmacists do, then my advice is don't it. There are many reasons I say this, from the uncertain state the profession is at the moment to working life in general (currently).

If the job you're in now is stable, then I would frankly focus on progressing in your own field. But, only you know how you feel. if you really want to do it, then go for it, don't let yourself have regrets 10 years down the line.

Comment

Working...
                        X