Hep B job for pharmacy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hep B job for pharmacy?

Hi everyone, I looked into doing a Mpharm a while ago but couldn't get any concrete answer on the Hep B jab visit. I saw on another forum, some universities requested it before commencing the course?

Obviously the issue is - there is a lack of this vaccine? I know for sure you would need one if you worked in a hospital pharmacy, but what about a retail pharmacy? A nursing home? Under what circumstances do you definitely need it?

I also looked into becoming a physican associate - Would I need it to work in a surgery?

Are you in the UK?
    johnep

Comment

Yes I am from the UK.

Comment

OK I queried because "physicians associate/assistant " unknown to me. I thought He[p injections for students was because of their lax moral behaviour. When running a needle exchange I did consider the Hep risk and eliminated contact as much as possible. Returns were put into doop bins by the client. You could certainly work in a GP practice if you have the IP qualification and hep would depend on practice policy.
        johnep

Comment

The reason for requesting it is the inccreased hands 9n clinical role offloaded onto pharmacists and physic8an associates. What ever field you go into now you will be expected to do the nurses jobs and the bits the gps do not want ro do hence the requirement to have hep b vacvines prior to commencement inline with nursing degrees.

Comment

It's about risk and money.

As the Hep B vaccine is required on the job it should be organised and fully funded by the employer. It isn't. The costs and responsibilities are slyly passed onto the employee.

It's needed for everyone that works in pharmacies even the counter assistants because of the nature of medicines returns. If you look at internal company stats there are a scary number of sharps injuries in pharmacies.

If you watch colleagues you will see how the risk isn't mitigated. People not following SOPs, patients lying when questioned, needles sticking out of bags, not wearing gloves, not using tweezers, not correctly referring and questioning, all of that stuff. Then there is the people that turn up at pharmacies wanting to dispose of their sharps as they cannot be arsed/do not want contact with the GP surgery. People being told sorry we can't take them and referred exactly to where they can take them then become abusive, then when that doesn't work they sneakily dump them outside the premises for you to sort out. Also some pharmacies get quite a few needles dumped around the back anyway.

Comment

Working...
            X