Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hospital pharmacy

Hi all,

Im currently a pharmacy student, and I haven't been on many pharmacy placements. In some of our things that we are tested in at uni, are scenario-based questions, whereby how would we react to a certain scenario from our point of view. I was wondering if anyone would be able to explain the roles of the various pharmacists in hospital pharmacy (are there on-call pharmacists?), and how for example as a pre-reg student/ pharmacy student, who the various different roles in a hospital pharmacy you could go to, and what help they would be able to provide you with- if that makes any sense?

And the same with a community pharmacy, so for example this is one of the scenarios ive come across in a community setting- whereby a patient has come into the pharmacy, with the wrong medication that had been dispensed from another pharmacy thats now closed - and this patient is going on holiday tomorrow, what would you do? and what would you do with the medication they had come in with?
    In this case would it be appropiate to do an emergency supply- if they arent a regular patient of the pharmacy, how would i confirm the dosage of the medication? would contacting their gp be appropiate in this case i.e. for me to confirm the medication their patient is on and the strength of it etc.? Is faxing over a prescription necessary here (what are the cases when you do fax over a prescritpion?)
    As well as this, would i put the medication in patient-returns, and then the next morning call up the pharmacy and let them know of the issue that's happened? or because this pharmacy has dispensed the wrong thing - wouldn't i have to let them know and return the medication so they could complete an error log?
    I'm not entirely sure on the in's and out's of this.And so im finding it difficult to answer questions.

thanks for any help.

If a GP is contactable, then best course of action. I have had similar from pts on way to Heathrow to catch a flight. An EHS is in order but "Oh, I don't pay" is frequent response.
    If demand is for insulin in pens you could loose over £70. I have sometimes advised that they call into the airport medical centre. Great majority of airports would have pharmacies and Drs on call.
    johnep

Comment

• ashk8
      ashk8 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, thanks for responding to my post! I appreciate it. I dont understnad your answer - so are you saying that i should contact the gp for a prescritpion, or is emergency supply best?
      However, Im not sure if you read the rest of post, but i said I was a pharmacy student, and there was some other questions that I had on the post, about certain things in pharmacy that i dont understand. If you do have a chance, please do you mind reading it again, and providing answers (if you can!), for some of the other questions.
      Thanks again. help is much appreciated.

The problem facing any pharmacist in making an EHS is that majority of such pts will expect it for free. Pharmacies only get paid by DOH against a valid script. No script, no payment to pharmacy.
    The other questions I leave for your tutor or other posters to help you. I have even had pts coming in with a completed script from another pharmacy asking for us to put in daily dosage packs " as the other pharmacy wanted to charge".
    johnep

Comment

There certainly used, twenty years ago to be on-call pharmacists. Where I worked we got as many as possible of the pharmacists above Grade B, Basic Grade or whatever it’s called now to ’volunteer’. We didn’t get paid, we got Time Off in Lieu (Aka TOIL) and dealt with any pharmaceutical emergencies that might arise after about 5.30pm on a weekday, after 12.30pm on a Saturday and all day on Sunday.. We also made neo-natal I/v feeds on a Sunday. Calls included information ....... what’s the neo-nataldose of Gancyclovir is one I recall ........and sometimes supply...... on a Sunday when Christmas Day was a Tuesday a ‘kindly’ consultant decided to write up pretty well all his patients for TTA’s on a Sunday ‘so that they could get home in good time for Christmas”. Most of the supply requests were a lot more urgent than that, of course!
      Last edited by Merlyn; 12th, September 2018, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X