X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview please help

Hi
    I have an interview next week for an Assistant Technical Officer - Band 2
    in a hospital and I was wondering if anyone can tell me what sort of questions they ask you and the literacy test exactly what you write.
    Thank you.

Interviews are a perennial posting and the posters seem to think they are the first to ask the question. Search the forum using the search box. The literacy test is a new question and would expect would be tailored to the specific job of which you have given us no details.
    johnep
    Last edited by johnep; 13th, June 2018, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Badminton View Post
      Hi
      I have an interview next week for an Assistant Technical Officer - Band 2
      in a hospital and I was wondering if anyone can tell me what sort of questions they ask you and the literacy test exactly what you write.
      Thank you.

Hi!

I recently had the same interview.

Here is what I recall, assuming you will be taking the same test that I did:

The numeracy/literacy was actually far more challenging than I expected. I think they allow 90mins to complete it, whereas I was expecting something much simpler. Still, I was offered the post so I must have done alright.

I've never been hugely confident with grammar, but I'd say that if you're reasonably well-read and don't tend to struggle with spelling or grammar you should be fine. Parts of the test included selecting the correct spelling of a word, spotting and correct grammatical errors, showing understanding of short articles and so on.

The numeracy section included from basic arithmetic, scaling-up measurements, fractions, using mixed-measurements simultaneously (eg, finding the total sum of measurements in MM, CM, and M; also, the sum of a fraction plus a percentage) , calculating area, calculating perimeters, and so on. It's the sort of stuff we did day-in, day-out in school. I don't think there was any algebras, but I'm sure that if there was it must have been very simple. They do state that you are allowed to use a calculator for the test (only once sat at the desk was I told this, so I used the desktop one included with Windows).

They weren't the sorts of questions one can really prepare for, but if you are worried/a little rusty you might want to run over calculating area and some of the basic maths that many of us don't necessarily use every day.

The interview was really quite standard STAR-type unterview (https://www.theguardian.com/careers/...ased-interview (apologies, I appear to be too dim to create a hyperlink)):

"Where do you see yourself in 5 years?"

"Can you give an example of when you have had to work under pressure/ as part of a team/ use your initiative?"

"In this situation... which would you prioritise?"

"If you were walking around the hospital doing something urgent and a member of the public asked you for directions what would you do?"

"If you were walking around the hospital and found medicines left unattended what would you do?"

If you read about and practice with the STAR technique questions/answers mentioned above (that might not be the best link, but you can search elsewhere for examples of the technique), think of examples, and possibly brush up on some GCSE-level maths I'm sure you will be fine.

Let us know how you get on, and good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
        Interviews are a perennial posting and the posters seem to think they are the first to ask the question. Search the forum using the search box. The literacy test is a new question and would expect would be tailored to the specific job of which you have given us no details. Hospital, industry perhaps retail?
        johnep
        Hi John,

The original poster did specify that the job they are applying for is in a hospital.

And while it may be frustrating to see the same posts cropping up, I doubt there is any harm in using a little more tact when replying to posts from new members, who may well become long-term members of this community, frequent posters in the forums. As such, it might be better to set an example and encourage them to use the board in a more efficient and effective way, rather than having their very first communication with another member being one in which they are chastised.

Comment

My apologies to all. A bad hair day. I will try to be more helpful in future. However, new posters should always search the forum using the search box. Perhaps we could have a thread "Frequently asked questions".... with answers.
          johnep

Comment

• huxley
            huxley commented
            Editing a comment
            Very gracious of you. And a good suggestion on the FAQs. It might make it easier for new people to find the answers and members of long-standing can avoid the exasperation of the same topics being started repeatedly.

I was thinking the other day that an FAQ might be useful, but then experience shows that few would bother reading them. I’m sure that everyone has seen on Facebook where someone is selling something, giving the price in the initial post, and virtually every subsequent post is asking how much the item is. Though it might just be that I have thick friends!

Congratulations on getting the job, huxley, I hope that you have great success in it. Thank you for coming back to the forum to help someone else too.

And good luck to Badminton, hope that you too are successful in your interview. The main advice that I would add is to be keen and show that you want the job. A job interview is not the place to play it cool and act as though you don’t care whether or not you get it. If they show you round the department, smile at people, talk to them and ask questions. Part of the interview is to see if your face will fit in the department so let everyone see what a nice person you are - even if you aren’t normally! Good luck.

Comment

Thanks, Sparkybw!

It's entirely possible that people might ignore FAQs if there were there, but if they're not there they don't have the option of using them. It might reduce some of the repetitive posts. It may simply just concentrate repetitive posts in one area.. or it may have no effect whatsoever.

As for FB, I swore of it long ago.

Oh, and Badminton, one of the best pieces of advice I ever received was: If you are invited to an interview, you are good enough for the job. An employer would not waste their time other wise.

So as Sparkybw said, show that you are keen, take your time, and just do your best.

Feel free to PM if you like.

Comment

Working...
            X