Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In house pharmacy for chain of care homes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • In house pharmacy for chain of care homes

    Hi,

    I'm new to this forum and I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

    I work for a Care Home group (approximately 75 homes/ 2,500 residents) We currently have all our prescriptions dispensed through Boots. We are exploring the idea of setting up an "in house" pharmacy to supply our residents initially with just there repeat prescriptions. From what i have read it would seem that the best way to do this would be to apply for an internet pharmacy licence.

    I am looking for advice for the following;

    a) how can we go about working out the gross profit we would make. (difficult to find information on the cost of the prescriptions versus the what we would receive from the NHS)
    b) advice about how to best setting up the pharmacy/applying for the licence etc.
    c) All comments, pitfalls etc that i should be aware of.

    Many thanks in advance!
    Eli

  • #2
    The first question. How do you ensure that the patient freedom of choice in which pharmacy they use?

    Comment


    • Armour12345
      Armour12345 commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe, that patients can (and normally do) allow the care home staff to manage the medication on their behalf

    • dippsy
      dippsy commented
      Editing a comment
      As long as that is the case. The last thing you want to get done for is forcing patients into a particular route. Would possibly suggest that they explicitly consent to it as well just to cover your back.

    • Hello
      Hello commented
      Editing a comment
      In Scotland each care home must use only one pharmacy. This reduces the chances of errors and double dosing of medications from multiple pharmacies. Also makes it easier for the MDS packs to be made up. I can't believe in England care homes are serviced by multiple pharmacies.

  • #3
    Thanks! I will look into what our existing providers do as well as researching the question further.

    I am hoping someone can direct me the easiest avenue to assess the profitability of this idea... We us Med e-care system to monitor the medications etc in a large number of our homes, so i believe i could print off a sample list of existing medications, just i don't know how to find out how much we could buy the medications for versus what we would be compensated as per the drug tariff.

    thanks!

    Comment


    • Racer2
      Racer2 commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you'd be better off employing someone to write a feasibility study for you so that you can see how viable this project is likely to be.

  • #4
    Agreed... can anyone recommend where i can find someone who has the "know how" that i could commission to write up such a study?

    i have been told that one can expect on average a £3 profit per item.... (with 2,500 patients taking at least 5 prescribed medicines pcm this works out to £450k per year of gross profit)
    Do these figures sound correct?

    Comment


    • BrianA
      BrianA commented
      Editing a comment
      More likely £1.10 - 1.20 per item on average

    • Locum X
      Locum X commented
      Editing a comment
      "BrianA commented
      17th, April 2018, 10:07 AM
      More likely £1.10 - 1.20 per item on average"

      With the single activity fee currently at £1.29, does that mean we're currently making a loss on average for a typical dispensed item (in term of purchase profit?). Sadly wouldn't surprise me with the category M clawbacks & generics shortage/price gouging.

      Anyone with updated averages or can point in right direction?

      Thanks.

  • #5
    You could try contacting Brian A on here. I'm a bit out of date with the exact figures now, but assuming 2500 patients generate 5 items per month on average then that's 12500 items per month which would be viable as a business proposition.

    Comment


    • #6
      I know of an independent pharmacy company (I have no personal interest in the company) that only works with care homes. It has several branches providing good coverage. Their USP is the pharmacist professional hands-on support. They are the forerunners of the NHS aim of pharmacists supporting care homes. Maybe a joint venture sharing risk is one of your options. I would be open to working with you as a consultant/adviser/facilitator on such a project/options appraisal. I can also make sure that you do not contravene any NHS Pharmacy, data protection or business regulations.

      Comment


      • #7
        Originally posted by Armour12345 View Post
        Hi,

        I'm new to this forum and I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

        I work for a Care Home group (approximately 75 homes/ 2,500 residents) We currently have all our prescriptions dispensed through Boots. We are exploring the idea of setting up an "in house" pharmacy to supply our residents initially with just there repeat prescriptions. From what i have read it would seem that the best way to do this would be to apply for an internet pharmacy licence.

        I am looking for advice for the following;

        a) how can we go about working out the gross profit we would make. (difficult to find information on the cost of the prescriptions versus the what we would receive from the NHS)
        b) advice about how to best setting up the pharmacy/applying for the licence etc.
        c) All comments, pitfalls etc that i should be aware of.

        Many thanks in advance!
        Eli

        I think the the first thing that you ought to do is decide what budget you have or can allocate to obtain the sort of advice you are after. Such detailed information will not come free on an Internet forum.

        Consultancy advice is not cheap and nor should it be.

        Best of luck.

        Comment


        • #8
          Thank you, of course we would be willing to pay for the information/consultancy we require..at this stage - i am just trying to feel out the main obstacles and peoples thoughts on the concept and all of your comments are very helpful...
          Ultimately we are care home providers not pharmacists and so as you can imagine we need to be very sure of the concept before we even considered proceeding
          please do everyone continue to message me/post here with feedback - it is greatly appreciated!

          Comment


          • #9
            If you set up an internet pharmacy you will need to be able to provide essential services to anyone in the country.
            https://​​​​​​​www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk/news/dh-takes-aim-prescription-direction-distance-selling-pharmacies
            [I]Nice information. I like your information very much. It is a perfect information that clears all my doubts and gives a clear idea regarding that. It is really advantageous for me.I would definably take the benefit of it.[/I]

            Comment


            • #10
              Originally posted by BrianA View Post
              I know of an independent pharmacy company (I have no personal interest in the company) that only works with care homes. It has several branches providing good coverage. Their USP is the pharmacist professional hands-on support. They are the forerunners of the NHS aim of pharmacists supporting care homes. Maybe a joint venture sharing risk is one of your options. I would be open to working with you as a consultant/adviser/facilitator on such a project/options appraisal. I can also make sure that you do not contravene any NHS Pharmacy, data protection or business regulations.
              Are you thinking of one in the Northern Home Counties?

              Comment


              • BrianA
                BrianA commented
                Editing a comment
                They are based in London (S) and Preston (NW)

              • BrianA
                BrianA commented
                Editing a comment
                They currently support 10,000+ patients in different care homes

            • #11
              Originally posted by LeftArm View Post
              If you set up an internet pharmacy you will need to be able to provide essential services to anyone in the country.
              https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk...ing-pharmacies
              I think the internet pharmacy model is not suitable for this. He needs to set up a meeting face to face to discuss his 'vision'/objectives, then agree the support required otherwise what is an interesting idea will never be put into action!

              Comment


              • #12
                Originally posted by BrianA View Post

                I think the internet pharmacy model is not suitable for this. He needs to set up a meeting face to face to discuss his 'vision'/objectives, then agree the support required otherwise what is an interesting idea will never be put into action!
                Agree. I gather the Care Homes are all one company, so some form of ‘intranet’, if possible, is more appropriate. It’s a while since I was involved with such, as I’ve been retired for some time now, but I could maybe offer some suggestions. Happy to attend a meeting, especially if a brown envelope is involved! PM me if interested.

                Comment

                Working...
                X