Errors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Errors

Hi im new do the forum and need some encouragement. Have u ever made an error or given wrong advice as a pharmacist which in hindsight seems so avoidable? Ultimately the pt is ok but made a complaint to gphc. Feeling disappointed in myself and can't get past it. Wondering if I will get struck off. Any advice is appreciated.

That is why you should belong to the PDA. Remember the NPA protects the owner of the pharmacy NOT the individual pharmacist. You will find all the blame is heaped on you. Search the forum using the search box to see what has happened before. If you do belong to the PDA, then tell them immediately.
    johnep

Comment

worst thing you can do it let it affect your current work. It happened, no harm came to the patient, it's done. See it as an learning opportunity and do a CPD entry about what happened.

Never be afraid of looking something up. If your 99% sure of something - look it up.

Comment

Thank you both. Yes I like the 99% rule and hence forth I will adopt it. Check even if I think I'm sure that's the best way.

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
          That is why you should belong to the PDA. Remember the NPA protects the owner of the pharmacy NOT the individual pharmacist. You will find all the blame is heaped on you. Search the forum using the search box to see what has happened before. If you do belong to the PDA, then tell them immediately.
          johnep
          Or other more effective unions than the PDA, but yes should be a member of a union.

Comment

The question to ask is what are the circumstances that led up to the error?

Comment

Yes if single handed, cramped dispensary etc. The Responsible Pharmacist regs will be used by the company to avoid any fault on their part.
              johnep

Comment

Hello Heather. You will be fine. My time at University was peppered with the mantra, "Pharmacy is about standards". You have shared yours: "Feeling disappointed in myself". You will be fine. Do your best, as it seems you have done so far and always remember that it is not about you but the welfare of your patient. All the best.

Comment

Every pharmacist in practice for more than a few weeks has made errors. Usually we aren’t even aware of them. Many others result in no consequences except that feeling of disappointment in yourself.
                  As a complaint has been made you do need support, from colleagues, friends, a union or a professional advisor. They will help you to see the situation more clearly.

Comment

Thank you. Will try and move past it once resolved and learn from it. It's all I can do

Comment

Working...
                    X