Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locum pharmacist

Hi,
    I am new to community locuming so had a couple of questions.
    1) When do I inform HMRC I am planning to work as a locum? I read I can inform within 3 months of working, the reason being I am only covering the days other locums can't do, max 5 days a month or so. I have two little ones just want to keep myself in the field, nothing more than that for now.

2) Do I need an accountant for that or is it easier and less costly to do myself?

3) if I do find a permanent role what happens then? Do I inform hmrc of change of situation

Sorry if these sound like silly questions but I'm a little confused from what I've been reading up.

I informed HMRC when I started locuming and like you only did a couple of days a month. I got an exemption from NI contributions form as I wasn't earning enough. At the time the limit was <£5k per year. I got an accountant as I had no knowledge or interest in doing this myself, and I keep very careful and thorough records, and just send a summary email to her to submit my tax return. If you get a permanent job then you would I presume inform them and go on the payroll at work. I have a permanent job now plus some self employed locum work so I still have the accountant. It is tricky at first but your records should be easy if you only do a few days. Keep on top of your invoicing and devise your own record keeping system - we pharmacists are good at that! Hope you enjoy it.

Comment

Open a savings act (I actually had a Nationwide business acct , paid 4% interest in those days). put your earnings in that. Like you I was working full time, but as a rep, I just did every other Saturday morning for the coop and One hour Sunday rota for two weeks out of three. By the time I had deducted mileage and other expenses, made a loss each year that I could set against PAYE.
      johnep

Comment

Thanks. So you suggest having a separate account as well.
        i can claim back Gphc fees, public transport costs and course attendance fees? I recently did the CPPE Mur, I can claim that as expense, right?

Comment

• Dragonlady
          Dragonlady commented
          Editing a comment
          You can claim anything that is a legitimate business expense. That includes legitimate CPD fees. However you probably could NOT claim costs for doing a prescribing course since it is not necessary for your job.....It may be necessary for your career progression but it is not mandatory. Where fees for MUR accreditation come in I am not sure since you can be a pharmacist without being accredited to MUR's.....as I am not.

I claimed for every course I attended. Some included an overnight stay as taken some distance from home. No problems in claiming at all. I would consider that prescibing course will be essential in future if you wish to be a practice pharmacist. I would most certainly claim. After all as a self employed person, if you are responsible for NI, then that has been unilaterally increased by govnmt.
        johnep

Comment

• Dragonlady
          Dragonlady commented
          Editing a comment
          But it's not essential for the current role....and becoming a prescribing pharmacist is not essential for any pharmacist. Its possible to be a pharmacist without be a prescriber......Its the kind of area I would run by my very competent accountant. Of course it can be claimed....whether the taxman will take it into account is another matter. IMO it would be disallowed.

Agree with Johnep. It could reasonably be claimed that this was a natural career progression.

Comment

The problem with doing locum work on top of your job these days...
          Is that you work the morning 'for the taxman'.
          Most of the time the internet is full of daft opinions and views that you should not take seriously let bother you at all.
          Note : If this posting contains personal views or opinions every endeavour is made to ensure they stay within social media guidelines.
          If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Spoke to an accountant today about the expenses i can claim. IP definitely isn't one of them. what a shame!

Comment

Maybe get a second opinion as I'd see that as on going training so an expense.
              Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
              Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
              Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Working...
              X