Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Responsibility & Litigation(Pharmacists beware)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Responsibility & Litigation(Pharmacists beware)

February 2007

Part of a series of articles on important recent disciplinary cases handled by the Charles Russell Healthcare team

The Royal Pharmaceutical Society’s Statutory Committee recently had to make significant rulings on disciplinary complaints in a case involving a dispensing error and the responsibility of a pharmacist who did not make the error, but who was present in the pharmacy when the incorrect medicine was handed out to the patient’s carer.
    Charles Russell - View Articles

I am too that techy....sure you can tell from above , but above article written in Feb 2007 is worth taking a look at.......Pharmacy is a RISKY business!
    Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Re: Responsibility & Litigation(Pharmacists beware)

All depends where legal liability taken to be. If CCA succeed in remote supervision then presumably will be pharmacist at other end of video link or possibly the 'responsible pharmacist'
    johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
      All depends where legal liability taken to be. If CCA succeed in remote supervision then presumably will be pharmacist at other end of video link or possibly the 'responsible pharmacist'
      johnep
      This is a catch-22 situation.

It seems an SOP for handling patient queries about a dispensed medication is required.
      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

I don't like the bit where the pharmacist is responsible for something dispensed by another pharmacist. That is truly pathetic.

What really went wrong here was the 2nd pharmacist didn't get all of the details while on the phone.

Any queries regarding meds on the phone I always get the patient to read the box to me especially the strength. Bollock her for that not for not opening every bag that has been put away by another pharmacist.

Pharmacy: Latin for crap, crap and more crap!
        Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
        pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
        eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Originally posted by Linnear View Post
          I don't like the bit where the pharmacist is responsible for something dispensed by another pharmacist. That is truly pathetic.

What really went wrong here was the 2nd pharmacist didn't get all of the details while on the phone.

Any queries regarding meds on the phone I always get the patient to read the box to me especially the strength. Bollock her for that not for not opening every bag that has been put away by another pharmacist.

You have just had trouble, you are in trouble or there's trouble coming.
          I think is the polite version.
          47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
          2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
          How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Linnear View Post

i have been told it is the pharmacist who did the final check and bagged the medicines up responsible for the script/s, may be not..... to be honest, in today pharmacy practice, lots of scripts are checked the day before e.g. for deliver, for calling back patients, i don't see this will be changed in near future, progress are being made to the controlled drugs but it disrupts pharmacy operations e.g. delivery driver has to wait, patient has to wait, and you know patients do not like to wait and patients put pressure on you (making noise with their keys)

better to ask patient bring everything back to let you examine them, every other things have to wait, best if can find the script/s out
            i am telling you about pharmacy life in practice, together with my personal opinions i think might be better for pharmacy practices

Comment

even better, you've checked off a few prescriptions for deliveries which are ready to be bagged up and then ask a member of staff to bag them up. (A relatively simple task)

You later realise that the staff member who was bagging up, put two different patients medication in to the same bag and then taken on the delivery round.

Ladidar!
              [SIZE="5"][B][COLOR="Red"]ENVY is a Plant That NO Man Should Water!!![/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
              X