Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• out of date

Hi
    can ppl share experiences about going in to store and finding a number meds out of date.

Re: out of date

Erm, check carefully?

Some places are better than others, plenty of places I only check anything which looks 'old' but some I need to check every pack of aspirin and bendro 2.5!

Comment

i check methotrexate 10mg everywhere i work, ppl keep it in stock and don't sell, or sell once in a blue moon.

Comment

Aren't pharmacists and dispensers meant to check the dates on all meds dispensed?
        Where I work we highlight a pack even if it has six months date on it (mostly slow movers I admit) which alerts us to be even more careful when dispensing these items.
        We also have a book in which to log soon out of dates which is checked regularly and the out of dates removed.
        This with regular shelf cleaning keeps the out of dates off the shelf before they go out of date.
        What I don't like is the obscurity on packaging of the date code especially when it is embossed rather than printed on the box.
        Make some one smile today.

Comment

Originally posted by jaymags View Post
          Aren't pharmacists and dispensers meant to check the dates on all meds dispensed?
          Where I work we highlight a pack even if it has six months date on it (mostly slow movers I admit) which alerts us to be even more careful when dispensing these items.
          We also have a book in which to log soon out of dates which is checked regularly and the out of dates removed.
          This with regular shelf cleaning keeps the out of dates off the shelf before they go out of date.
          What I don't like is the obscurity on packaging of the date code especially when it is embossed rather than printed on the box.
          Most places are so busy that time for cleaning and sorting is practically non-existent.
          Or A to C are usually OK, but the staff run out of time. Next time they start at A and get to C again.
          Used to happen a lot at B**ts as the manager insisted that it was started at A all the time.
          Last edited by Pharmanaut; 29, November 2008, 10:09 AM. Reason: grammar
          47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
          2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
          How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Most cptrs will list items dispensed in chronological order. These are likely to be the most popular items and should be checked as priority. Otherwise, ideally check as dispense.

When really quiet I go into pts file and start at Aa to find duplicates and then merge, except on compass where have to keep.
            johnep

Comment

It is scary that i had to remove 3 tote box of out of dates, and that was from a to c, never had enough time to check the other drugs. I informed the manager, i hope something was done about this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by s1qbal View Post
                It is scary that i had to remove 3 tote box of out of dates, and that was from a to c, never had enough time to check the other drugs. I informed the manager, i hope something was done about this issue.
                Could you elaborate on "3 tote box" not sure what this is?
                47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Standard green or blue plastic box used by wholesalers for transport.
                  johnep

Comment

It doesn't take that long to check a date when dispensing, I do on my way from the shelf to the dispensing basket. A quick glance is alkl it should take.

Comment

It doesn't take that long to check a date when dispensing, I do on my way from the shelf to the dispensing basket. A quick glance is alkl it should take.
                      i doubt it! this is not proper checking in any way....... you better have some SOP in place covering date checking, and make sure your staff check the stocks 'at least' monthly. otherwise, expect to be blamed for a dispensing error( not that you are not blamed anyways).

i hope there aren't any inspectors on this forum reading all the odd posts!
                      [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
                      [/COLOR]

Comment

ok jay, sorry i forgot you are not a pharmacist.
                        my point still valid, not sure if your pharmacist is happy with the current situation!
                        [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
                        [/COLOR]

Comment

What makes you say that? Apart from the dates that are embossed on the boxes reading a date is not rocket science. We have good sops inplace for this, we are always checking dates;
                          1. On recieving stock
                          2. Double check before going on the shelf.
                          3. Dispenser to check before giving to the pharmacist
                          4. Check date when replenishing from excess stock.
                          5. Check all dates when cleaning.
                          Granted there may only be two or three times a year when it's quiet enough to clean but a cleaning log book should be kept of all shelves containg goods with dates on not just the medicines.
                          We did have an inspector in once whilst I was dispensing and I clocked her watching me check dates.

Comment

Apology accepted Raoul, but in all the years I have been a dispenser I can honestly say that I have never given anything to the pharmacist that has been out of date. I have seen more out of date stock still marked a full price in supermarkets, and pointed it out to staff.(It was Snack -a -Jacks that were two months past their sell by date). I'm not perfect but out of dates are a bug bear of mine.

Comment

What makes you say that? watching me check dates.
                              the lack of information you provided initially. now it seems you guys follow a great procedure in practice.
                              [/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X