Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remote supervision and dispensing errors

Dear Members

just want to get the general consensus on remote supervision,The PDA (Pharmacy defence Association) and a few other camps seem to be against it.The PharmSoc,Multiples & the NPA seem to be all for it .

I think it's the only way forward for pharmacists (but there has to be a few limits and defined roles for techs )....what are your thots..especially as the pharmacists will still be legally liable..vicarious liability is not an option!
    Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Originally posted by kemzero
    Dear Members

just want to get the general consensus on remote supervision,The PDA (Pharmacy defence Association) and a few other camps seem to be against it.The PharmSoc,Multiples & the NPA seem to be all for it .

I think it's the only way forward for pharmacists (but there has to be a few limits and defined roles for techs )....what are your thots..especially as the pharmacists will still be legally liable..vicarious liability is not an option!
    What roles are we going to do Kem? Today I got two scripts from nurses, one for a seretide inhaler, the other for erythromycin. I was told the two nurses could prescribe anything. That's prescribing covered then!

The NPA represent the multiples, who will need fewer pharmacists - so of course they want it. The society are the police to us, so I don't know why they do or don't want it as I don't follow the politics of it.

I personally don't want to work any closer with GP's, so where does that leave us all? I'm thinking of selling up and living on a boat..........
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Remote supervision must be resisted. For me the main selling point of community pharmacy is that you can walk in off the street and speak to a highly trained professional with a minimal wait. Remote supervision downplays the importance of pharmacists and could seriously inconvenience patients.

Comment

You are right Steve,but some might argue that well trained registered techs can provide a good service if working within agreed protocols.Most pharmacists want to prescribe and they can only do this if they allow remote supervision to go ahead.It will be all smiles for multiples,I don't think the PharmSoc would be too miffed so long as they can hold someone accountable.....Although I no longer practice as a community pharmacist,I believe supervision should be relaxed but not to the extent the govt is proposing

Comment

Originally posted by Steve G
          Remote supervision must be resisted. For me the main selling point of community pharmacy is that you can walk in off the street and speak to a highly trained professional with a minimal wait. Remote supervision downplays the importance of pharmacists and could seriously inconvenience patients.
          Steve

I agree. The advantage of a proper pharmacy over a dispensing Dr's is that there is a trained pharmacist you can talk to, virtually immediately (within reason). If pharmacies don't have a pharmacist there then what makes a pharmacy any different to any other shop? If people have to come back to see the pharmacist, they won't bother. They'll just phone their own GP or ring NHS direct.

I personally think it could be the start of the slippery slope to the death of the job. I just don't see what jobs we could all do, that the government aren't happy to give to other cheaper workers.

Just my opinion

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
          Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

The PDA is against it too and they are currently lobbying a few Lords (in parliament) We need to unite and speak out with one voice ..a protest? .. historically pharmacists have been known to be placid when it comes to political matters..but if we sit back and do nothing it will be at our own peril.
            I want the law regarding the sale of GSLs from pharmacies relaxed as well as giving out bagged prescriptions in the absence of a pharmacist etc

Comment

Originally posted by kemzero
              The PDA is against it too and they are currently lobbying a few Lords (in parliament) We need to unite and speak out with one voice ..a protest? .. historically pharmacists have been known to be placid when it comes to political matters..but if we sit back and do nothing it will be at our own peril.
              I want the law regarding the sale of GSLs from pharmacies relaxed as well as giving out bagged prescriptions in the absence of a pharmacist etc
              As I see it, and this is only my opinion - NOT an advert to join anyone, but people like the PDA are the only ones who seem to be on OUR side.

In a lot of ways, and I'm probably no different, we are our own worst enemies. Of course the public have to be protected from bad pharmacists etc, but I get the feeling that it's gone so much the other way, that if someone threw a punch at you, you'd think twice about ducking your head in case they hit their hand against the wall and sued you!

Comment

The Belgian Government's idea of Pharmacist supervision was that no single pharmacist could be expected to exercise adequate supervision over more than two non-pharmacists at any one time; then I moved to the UK, and all of a sudden I was expected to be responsible for what eight non-pharmacists got up to?!?
                What am I doing here?
                Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by admin
                  I'm thinking of selling up and living on a boat..........
                  I know a member of the GMC who lives on a Canal Boat in Brum who would be pleased to offer advice on the practicalities.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                  X