Errors in Hospital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Errors in Hospital

Just reading all previous threads, one question popped into my head. Do dispensing mistakes ever happen in hospital pharmacy. I have never heard of it, only ever hear of errors in community. It seems ridiculous the number of times someone is getting prosecuted within community pharmacies for dispensing errors.
    3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Re: Errors in Hospital

Very less likely as it's very slow paced and checked by lots of different people. I couldn't believe how slow it was when I did my pre-reg there. Patients were taking up a bed for a further night just because pharmacy hadn't got the meds TTA ready for when transport were due to take them home. Absolutely crazy. I could've done it in less than 5 mins in community.

Comment

Originally posted by PinkGlitter View Post
      Very less likely as it's very slow paced and checked by lots of different people. I couldn't believe how slow it was when I did my pre-reg there. Patients were taking up a bed for a further night just because pharmacy hadn't got the meds TTA ready for when transport were due to take them home. Absolutely crazy. I could've done it in less than 5 mins in community.
      is the pharmacist to be blamed if a mistake does happen as he/she could be on ward rounds know. Surely checking it that slow is good too right?
      3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

Originally posted by Asterix View Post
        It seems ridiculous the number of times someone is getting prosecuted within community pharmacies for dispensing errors.

How often are pharmacists and technicians being prosecuted for errors? Are you saying that the prosecution is ridiculous or the volume of prosecutions? I am not aware of a great increase, do you know something I don't?
        http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

in alot of hospitals, pharmacist's arent involved with the checking process, they have ACTs doing all that, and I think recently there's been a surge in the negative media the pharmacy sector has got but I dont think there has been any surge in prosecutions or striking off of pharmacists, in fact i'm surprised that certain pharmacists are still practicing, with regards to legal aspects to their pratice. e.g. I know of this one pharmacist, a story I heard from the pharmacy staff, basicly the pharmacist stole about £1000 from the pharmacy aswell as large quantities of schedule 4-5 drugs. He even admited to it by writing a letter of apology, which I found really funny, last time I checked maybe a week ago this person was still on the register.
          We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Originally posted by SolomonQ View Post
            in alot of hospitals, pharmacist's arent involved with the checking process, they have ACTs doing all that, and I think recently there's been a surge in the negative media the pharmacy sector has got but I dont think there has been any surge in prosecutions or striking off of pharmacists, in fact i'm surprised that certain pharmacists are still practicing, with regards to legal aspects to their pratice. e.g. I know of this one pharmacist, a story I heard from the pharmacy staff, basicly the pharmacist stole about £1000 from the pharmacy aswell as large quantities of schedule 4-5 drugs. He even admited to it by writing a letter of apology, which I found really funny, last time I checked maybe a week ago this person was still on the register.

That is one hell of an allegation Solly. For one who has been on the register as long as you have I would have to question how you can say what actually does go on in "a lot of hospitals" other than heresay.

Why would this "person" not be on the register? Unless he/she was prosecuted why would the RPSGB know anything about his case? How long do you think these things take to process?

Is the person being prosecuted? Did they actually steal what you believe they stole?

The NHS takes no prisoners when dealing with people at that level of the food chain. Unless this person is prosecuted I don't believe the story you relate.

Comment

Have you worked in ‘a lot of hospitals’….how can you make such comments?

Yes, I agree you have many ACT’s in hospital, but every hospital is different.
              However, there are FOUR stages in the dispensing process at hospital

1. Screening the prescription (always done by a pharmacist) who will endorse the script with any additional labeling directions, quantity, and product to help speed up the process and reduce errors.
              2. Labeling
              3. Dispensing (having a robot does help to minimise errors)
              4. Checking – can be done by the ACT or pharmacist.

A different person is needed for each stage to minimise errors

Errors are still possible, but there many stages and ppl involved preventing this.
              I have not come across an ACT who is clinically screening prescriptions in the dispensary
              Lazy Lady...
              [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

[QUOTE=Tony Schofield;19548]That is one hell of an allegation Solly. For one who has been on the register as long as you have I would have to question how you can say what actually does go on in "a lot of hospitals" other than heresay.
                QUOTE]

firstly, i'm talking about the ACCURACY CHECKING in a hospital pharmacy, and i'm sure all hosiptal pharmacist's here can confirm this. My own sources of information are: all the hospital pharmacists I talked to during hospital visits from uni, friends who have done hospital pre-reg and are in hospital, my own one week placement where I was shown and told what was going on i.e. the Rx came in which was clinically checked by the pharmacist on duty then the dispensers and ACTs took care of the rest.

to say the least, you don't need 10 years of experience in hospital pharmacy to make a claim about who does what, all you need is a few friends in hospitals in the relevant positions to tell you they dont have to do any checking, and that is sufficient, isn't it???

Unless he/she was prosecuted why would the RPSGB know anything about his case? How long do you think these things take to process?

Is the person being prosecuted? Did they actually steal what you believe they stole?

The NHS takes no prisoners when dealing with people at that level of the food chain. Unless this person is prosecuted I don't believe the story you relate.[/
                the case was actually reported to the police and the RPSGB, who both came down to take statements. I first heard of the case indirectly but then had to locum in the pharmacy for a week and I heard about the story from many different sources, I don't wanna reveal more about the case but my sourecs include more than just dispnsers and counter staff, but I think my sources about what you call "allegations" are quite reliable, and the pharmacist actually wrote a letter of apology, stating that his actions were caused by his addiction to a substance of misuse. That pharmacy doesn't really store many CDs so all he had his hands on were the schedule 4 barbiturates.

Why would this "person" not be on the register?
                beause of the nature of the incident(s), I thought he would atleast be suspended until the hearing happens, and he is found guilty or not guilty.
                We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Originally posted by SolomonQ View Post
                  in alot of hospitals, pharmacist's arent involved with the checking process, they have ACTs doing all that,.
                  This is incorrect, Pharmacists check a great number of prescriptions too.
                  Dispensing errors happen at hospitals, but mainly picked up on the ward by nurses giving patients their meds, by other pharmacists or techs on ward level, or are discovered after a few days if patient is not improving or getting worse.
                  Maybe mistakes are less than in community because as mentioned before the preocess is much slower.
                  You would only hear about an error if it caused a agreat harm or death to a patient.

Comment

dispensing errors are less in hospital compared to community, simply because 80% of the pharmacists work in community! this is around 30000 pharmacists compared with 7000-8000 pharmacists working in hospitals ( if not less).........
                    [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
                    [/COLOR]

Comment

This is incorrect, Pharmacists check a great number of prescriptions too.
                      did you read the key first two words "in alot of....", so abviously not all, why dont you explain your statement, so if a hospital is employing 30 pharmacists how many are in the dispensary checking each day. What grades are doing the checking e.g. newly qualified band 6, or highly qualified band 8c or a mixture of both?

Raoul wrote:
                      dispensing errors are less in hospital compared to community, simply because 80% of the pharmacists work in community! this is around 30000 pharmacists compared with 7000-8000 pharmacists working in hospitals ( if not less).........
                      it sounds like you are implying (but I know your not) that dispensing errors happen because of pharmacists, lol :P, dispensing errors are brought to light mostly if the patient was administered the medicine. In hospital the medicine goes through many "qualified" hands, and if an error has occured it is picked up somehwre along the way, and also in hospital they have a no blame policy, if something goes wrong no one is supposed to pint fingers at another HCP, the blame is taken as a team, atleast in public. Also whatever has happned the suing person would sue the hospital and not the pharmacist.

Comment

[QUOTE=SolomonQ;19571]did you read the key first two words "in alot of....", so abviously not all, why dont you explain your statement, so if a hospital is employing 30 pharmacists how many are in the dispensary checking each day. What grades are doing the checking e.g. newly qualified band 6, or highly qualified band 8c or a mixture of both?

I can explain…..

If a hospital is employing 30 pharmacists…they will not all be dispensary based, but will have a day shift in the dispensary to help with the workload.

Let me make one thing clear…..hospital is not slow! You have inpatients to deal with and outpatients (scripts should be completed less than 10 mins…….why do ppl think staff in hospital have hours……come to London

Who’s involved in checking – can be a mixture….

And Ray, its wrong to suggest there are less errors because there are less pharmacists.....errors occur mainly because of a 'poor system' in place....
                        Lazy Lady...
                        [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

[QUOTE=SolomonQ;19561]
                          Originally posted by Tony Schofield View Post
                          That is one hell of an allegation Solly. For one who has been on the register as long as you have I would have to question how you can say what actually does go on in "a lot of hospitals" other than heresay.
                          QUOTE]

firstly, i'm talking about the ACCURACY CHECKING in a hospital pharmacy, and i'm sure all hosiptal pharmacist's here can confirm this. My own sources of information are: all the hospital pharmacists I talked to during hospital visits from uni, friends who have done hospital pre-reg and are in hospital, my own one week placement where I was shown and told what was going on i.e. the Rx came in which was clinically checked by the pharmacist on duty then the dispensers and ACTs took care of the rest.

to say the least, you don't need 10 years of experience in hospital pharmacy to make a claim about who does what, all you need is a few friends in hospitals in the relevant positions to tell you they dont have to do any checking, and that is sufficient, isn't it???

the case was actually reported to the police and the RPSGB, who both came down to take statements. I first heard of the case indirectly but then had to locum in the pharmacy for a week and I heard about the story from many different sources, I don't wanna reveal more about the case but my sourecs include more than just dispnsers and counter staff, but I think my sources about what you call "allegations" are quite reliable, and the pharmacist actually wrote a letter of apology, stating that his actions were caused by his addiction to a substance of misuse. That pharmacy doesn't really store many CDs so all he had his hands on were the schedule 4 barbiturates.

beause of the nature of the incident(s), I thought he would atleast be suspended until the hearing happens, and he is found guilty or not guilty.
                          Pharmacists have a high rate of drug addiction, hence we have Birdsgrove. This pharmacist is to be helped not judged, and if he gets rehabilitated he will be in a greater position to understand the problems faced by many patients.

When I locum, I try not to gossip about other pharmacists, as ten to one, if the dispensers are gossiping about him, as soon as you finish your week they will be doing the same about you. Take that advice from an old pharmacist!
                          MUR

Major Underestimation of Resources

Comment

If you say so Solly. I await the outcome with interest.

Comment

the dispensers are gossiping about him, as soon as you finish your week they will be doing the same about you
                              I dont normally do that anyway, but this was an exceptional case where everyone was talking about it.

I await the outcome with interest.
                              i've checked against his name in the register just now, he's got suspended from the register for 18 months, under the fitness to practice and disqualification rules), it would be wrong to reveal his identity.

Comment

Working...
                              X