Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FeBRiLe seizuRes

Hi,
    Can ne one of u lemme noe wht is best to be done in case of febrile seizures ??? :idea:
    i mean is pouring cold water d rite thng 2do or hot water should be poured ?? dis is specially in case of infants..

As i gt 2diffrnt answers frm 2 people :? a peadriatician told me that the baby shd b placed in a tub and water should be poured over him and the water of the tub shd be poured over and again.

But neuirologist gave me a different answer.. he said cold water should b poured nt the hot water..
    i personally agree with the neurologist coz in hypothermic state the temperature has to be raisen so hot water does nt work :arrow:
    can any one gve me a justified answer?? :?:

Febrile Seizures

Hi BiRjis

Febrile seizures are caused by a rapid increase in temperature, not by the height of the temperature. Once a child already has a high fever, a febrile seizure is unlikely with the current illness the child has. In any event, febrile seizures are usually over in moments and generally have no lasting consequences. Treating fevers early in these children may prevent further febrile seizures.

A fever does not necessarily need to be treated. If a child is playful and comfortable, drinking plenty of liquids, and able to sleep, fever treatment is not likely to be helpful. Steps should be taken to lower a fever if the child is uncomfortable, vomiting, dehydrated, or having difficulty sleeping. The goal is to bring the temperature between about 100 and 102 degrees F - not to eliminate the fever.

When trying to reduce a fever, first remove excess clothing or blankets. The environment should be comfortably cool (one layer of light weight clothing, and one lightweight blanket to sleep). Two medicines are useful for reducing fever in children: paracetamol and ibuprofen. Paracetamol is given every 4 to 6 hours, and works by turning down the brain's thermostat. Don't use under three months of age without first having the child examined by a physician. Ibuprofen is given every 6 to 8 hours, and helps fight the inflammation at the source of the fever. Don't use this without seeing a physician if the child is under six months of age.

A lukewarm bath or sponge bath may help cool a febrile child (after medication is given - otherwise the temperature bounces right back up). Cold baths or alcohol rubs cool the skin, but often make the situation worse by causing shivering, which causes the core body temperature to rise.

Remember that fever is a friend - alerting us to potential problems, activating the immune system and fighting bacteria and viruses.

So basically, I would say keep the child cooled, but do not pour cold water over him. Luke warm water can gradually cool him down, without making him un-comfortable and cause shivering. Never pour hot water over a child, this could cause burns!

Is this of any help?

Just my opinion, as always.

Comment

Working...
    X