Plavix Pack Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plavix Pack Change

The makers of Plavix in their wisdom have decided to change pack size from 28 to 30

99% of our Rx's are for 28 so another pack to snip two off. Phoned Sanofi to complain, their advice was to tell Dr's to prescribe in 30's or just give patient the extra 2!!!!!

Why can't Pharmaceutical manufacturers just do pack sizes of 28 or multiples of that. It's not rocket science or am i completely missing something.

Things like this really p$£s me off about pharmacy in this country.

Rant over

Re: Plavix Pack Change

I agree that this is proper bonkers.
    As this is not calendared then if the script says 28 you get paid 28 so a loss of £2.50 if someone gives out a 30 box.

Our local PCT has a policy of 28 days supply.

Do you think that the price of a box will go up and therefore sales of plavix...

Comment

Originally posted by JonF View Post
      The makers of Plavix in their wisdom have decided to change pack size from 28 to 30

99% of our Rx's are for 28 so another pack to snip two off. Phoned Sanofi to complain, their advice was to tell Dr's to prescribe in 30's or just give patient the extra 2!!!!!

Why can't Pharmaceutical manufacturers just do pack sizes of 28 or multiples of that. It's not rocket science or am i completely missing something.

Things like this really p$£s me off about pharmacy in this country.

Rant over
      Makes you look like a 'jobsworth' - quibbling over a couple of tablets.
      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

this issue has been going on for yonks---the answer is easy blame it on government/mca/dept health they should/could have made it so that only packs of 28 14 7 could be suppplied on fp10 it would not require primary legislation as it could be done by and "order in council" (think thats the way they give us a bashing anyway?) this is they drug industry tail wagging the doh dog!!
        SMITHY

Comment

Originally posted by Smithy View Post
          this issue has been going on for yonks---the answer is easy blame it on government/mca/dept health they should/could have made it so that only packs of 28 14 7 could be suppplied on fp10 it would not require primary legislation as it could be done by and "order in council" (think thats the way they give us a bashing anyway?) this is they drug industry tail wagging the doh dog!!
          ...applying the rules of 'unintended consequences'....
          What you are suggesting will prompt a review of dispensing costs, which will be immediately identified as less and prompt downward pressure on the dispensing fee. The reduction in then need to split containers will give spare capacity to increase prescription throughput and permit more prescriptions to be dispensed. This will impact on the global sum applying pressure to reduce it, and pressure on the NHS due to an increased drugs bill. The following year the dispensing fee will be reduced and the Category M reductions will drive prices into the negative.

The only way to compensate will be to get more efficiencies in dispensing and handling prescriptions.

This will prompt another review of dispensing costs, which will be immediately identified as less and prompt downward pressure on the dispensing fee. The reduction in then need to split containers will give spare capacity to increase prescription throughput and permit more prescriptions to be dispensed. This will impact on the global sum applying pressure to reduce it, and pressure on the NHS due to an increased drugs bill. The following year the dispensing fee will be reduced and the Category M reductions will drive prices into the far negative. The only way to compensate will be to get more efficiencies in dispensing and handling prescriptions.

The only way to compensate will be to get more efficiencies in dispensing and handling prescriptions.

This ....

DoH ... Isn't that what Homer Simpson says?
          How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
            Makes you look like a 'jobsworth' - quibbling over a couple of tablets.
            I take it you were being sarcastic!! We give out over 200 packs of Plavix a month
            So if as Sanofi suggested we just give patients 30 instead of 28, thats £500 a month lost!! If more people in this country got off their backside and complained in general then things might change...... there again who am i kidding

Comment

as i said this has been an issue for at least 20+years. do they still have dispensing cost reviews?? if they do then someone cannot add two and two.....
              SMITHY

Comment

Originally posted by JonF View Post
                I take it you were being sarcastic!! We give out over 200 packs of Plavix a month
                So if as Sanofi suggested we just give patients 30 instead of 28, thats £500 a month lost!! If more people in this country got off their backside and complained in general then things might change...... there again who am i kidding
                The jobsworth comment was really one that reflects the situation we all find ourselves in. To the patient and prescriber we look like 'jobsworths' as we appear to quibble over a few tablets. Thanks to the buffer of the NHS the public are not aware of the real cost of medicines, and the way we are paid means that if we give out even an extra tablet we end up wiping out our dispensing fee and purchase discounts. The government stopped the patient pack initiative almost on the verge of deployment which causes us to break EU law every time we break a container. I don't like being a jobsworth, but the system we work under fosters this attitude and continues to do so with every new ruling and regulation.

The government gets a personalised, localised, highly efficient, highly resilient and very cost effective means of distribution of medicines in the UK. The problem is that they don't realise it.
                How times change.

Comment

Working...
                X