Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Placebo Inhaler

I wonder if any of you might be able to help:

The son of a friend (aged 6) has just been diagnosed with asthma after a massive asthma attack which required a 36hr stay in hospital - he has never displayed any symptoms of asthma before this week. He has been sent home with an inhaler (I presume salbutamol - not spoken to mother myself as yet) and a spacer device ... however, the school he attends has said that they cannot administer medication to him and he will not be allowed back to school until he can self-administer: bearing in mind he is aged six and hence has poor co-ordination skills at present.

My question then is this: where can I get hold of a salbutamol (aerosol type) dummy/placebo inhaler that he can practice with?

Thanks

Laura
    wake up and smell the 1,3,7-trimethyl-1H-purine-2,6(3H,7H)-dione

Re: Placebo Inhaler

With a spacer, just spay into spacer, aerochamber more practical then ventolin one. Then breath from spacer. Practice with the genuine, they are cheap enough.
    johnep

Comment

Re: Placebo Inhaler

Have spoken to the mother this evening: for the first 48 hours he is taking becotide morning and night (2p) and ventolin every 4 hours (5p) then after that becotide morning and night and ventolin prn. He has been given two spacers and an aerochamber device from the hospital.
      Will it be okay for him to practice with the genuine inhaler? Also, what words / instructions would you give to a child so that he could identify when he needed his ventolin? The asthma nurse at the hospital ran through it with the mother but nobody spoke to the child.
      wake up and smell the 1,3,7-trimethyl-1H-purine-2,6(3H,7H)-dione

Comment

Working...
      X