Pharmacy union - i think we need an effective one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pharmacy union - i think we need an effective one

Apologies for being so negative, but I feel we need make some action now and no later. Pharmacist have never really been very together and we are often the victim of any changes imposed by the nhs, we need representation that will be heard. The society have done a poor job to protect us, the PSNC is pretty useless and the multiples have pushed us with contracts (eg imposing x amount of MURs per week) or face disciplinery from them

With all these changes happening in terms of substantially increased registration fees, the start of remote dispensing,etc, etc the individual pharmacist needs better representation that will be heard by the the society and the nhs, otherwise we may potentially be in a situation in a couple of years time where pharmacies no longer require a pharmacist, and we are left with no jobs and paid substantially less than we already do to provide a professional service. We need to take action now, before its to late. We need protection for our futures and livelihood. Please post a reply in agreement (or not if the case may be)

http://www.unions.org/resources/FormingaUnion.pdf this is an american link
    anyone know a uk equivalent?

Re: Pharmacy union - i think we need an effective one

The PDA
    johnep

Comment

Does anyone have any experience of Pharmacy unions in other Countries; seeing how these associations are effective in their own Countries would be a good start to getting ideas on what we need here.

As someone who enjoys the hobby of sporting shooting (clay and target) I often see parallels running between it and Pharmacy. Lots of small or disipline specific bodies with little to no interest in each other banded under a vague and inneffective organisation called the British Shooting sport Council. For example; the BASC is a member body with the largest membership and political clout; but they cater very little for target shooters.

That job is left to other bodies like the Sportman's Association or the CPSA for clay shooting. This disunited front means the Government can walk all over the shooting community even whilst the police are saying that imposing further restrictions on responsible, law-abiding, licensed and vetted firearms owners will have no impact on gun crime. Could it be that criminals don't apply for Firearms certificates?

Go to the USA however and the shooting community there are united under the banner of the NRA. Very little legislation or regulation that would have a negative and unjust impact on law-abiding firearms owners ever gets passed as a result.

In my opinion Pharmacy is not different in its representation. If Pharmacy had a representative body in the united style and size of the NRA; the Government would take our opinion and needs a lot more seriously.

I'd love to hear some comments on this observation.

mr_colt.
      Last edited by mr_colt; 26, September 2007, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_colt View Post
        Does anyone have any experience of Pharmacy unions in other Countries; seeing how these associations are effective in their own Countries would be a good start to getting ideas on what we need here.

As someone who enjoys the hobby of sporting shooting (clay and target) I often see parallels running between it and Pharmacy. Lots of small or disipline specific bodies with little to no interest in each other banded under a vague and inneffective organisation called the British Shooting sport Council. For example; the BASC is a member body with the largest membership and political clout; but they cater very little for target shooters.

That job is left to other bodies like the Sportman's Association or the CPSA for clay shooting. This disunited front means the Government can walk all over the shooting community even whilst the police are saying that imposing further restrictions on responsible, law-abiding, licensed and vetted firearms owners will have no impact on gun crime. Could it be that criminals don't apply for Firearms certificates?

Go to the USA however and the shooting community there are united under the banner of the NRA. Very little legislation or regulation that would have a negative and unjust impact on law-abiding firearms owners ever gets passed as a result.

In my opinion Pharmacy is not different in its representation. If Pharmacy had a representative body in the united style and size of the NRA; the Government would take our opinion and needs a lot more seriously.

I'd love to hear some comments on this observation.

mr_colt.
        simple we need collaboration of some sort and momentum, it was amazing to see that 10,000 people signed the petition against fee increases, well if they realise these new changes happening now could me mean a lot more that £425 in the future we are almost there, question is how to make the masses realise this potential outcome.

This also highlights the problem we as pharmacist inhernetly have. We are concerned for 5 minutes than forget about it. What action have pharmacist taken since the petition?????

Comment

Trouble is its difficult to know what action to take if there isn't a decent union/association in existance to coordinate such moves.

Comment

answer may lay with PDA if they were just more proactive!! They are really good at advising members, and have rallied to some degree but just not enough though!!

Comment

Working...
            X