Methadone Addict Caught Stealing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Methadone Addict Caught Stealing

We caught one of our regular methadone patients stealing on CCTV. What are the legal implications of us providing police with name and address? Does it breach data protection? Could i get in trouble with Society?

Have any of you had any experience with this?

Re: Methadone Addict Caught Stealing

Phone the society and ask them. They were really nice with me when I called them.

Comment

Was going to do that in morning. It all happened after they shut today.
      Just wanted to see what others had done in similar circumstances.

Comment

phone the clinic and get them banned from the pharmacy
        i have done this three times in the last year
        i also reported a 24 stone addict who came in one morning in her sagging pygamas but that is another story

Comment

We have a couple of pts who have to wait outside for their methadone.
          Local police circulate confidential photos of convicted shop lifters.
          johnep

Comment

Tell the police and show then the CCTV - They will probably recongnise them anyway and have an address of where to actually find them rather than the address on the PMR!

If you need to, just happen to leave the CD register open and let the officer happen to see it etc etc. I have done this several times - Police know the score.

Comment

Rang society and they said data protection doesn't apply in cas like this as it is involving criminal activity! Addict banned from shop, drug team notified, she admiitted offence to police and is due in court. Will probably get slap on wrist and told not to do it again!!!

Comment

I'm not sure if that advice from the Soc was correct.

Seem to remember a pharmacist being attacked by an addict, he got the addict's details off the computer and gave them to the police.

I believe he was reprimanded by the Stat Comm. Can't find the bloody article now. Anyone help?
                Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
                pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
                eloquent-e-tales

Comment

I remembered about that case, hence my original question!

Comment

Some common sense would be welcome.

You have video footage of a personal committing criminal activity against you. You know their identity? Go figure. I have no recollection whatsoever of a Sat Com hearing in such circumstances.

Myself, I would just ban them. Whenever I have prosecuted it has meant hassle in doing a statement and once having to attend a court hearing. Sentences are miniscule as the sector of society you are usually dealing with have nothing to lose or to give in terms of fines. Also you could well be singled out for reprisals.

Just ban them
                    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

Finally found the story, it never got to Stat Comm as Police wouldn't accept evidence that had been found by contravening the DPA.

null
                      Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
                      pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
                      eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Political correctness gone mad. I would have been astounded if the stat
                        com would have charged him should a prosecution have ensued.

We know our patients. We get asked to sign passport applications for them and gladly do so. Are we breaching the DPA in such circumstances?
                        http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Schofield View Post
                          Some common sense would be welcome.
                          Totally agree, i just didn't want a visit from Lambeth. In this day and age it pays to cover yourself!

For everyones info. Addict was banned and CCTV images given to police. Police didn't need statement as CCTV evidence was good enough. Addict admitted offence goods were returned and went to court and was given slap on wrist
                          Last edited by JonF; 18, November 2007, 05:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by JonF View Post
                            Addict admitted offence goods were returned and went to court and was given slap on wrist
                            My experience on this kind of thing................

I have been to court three times as a witness. The last time I sat there all day and they didn't even turn up.

On a previous occasion, a girl was found guilty of shop lifting, breaking her ASBO and assault - on me - she threw several punches at me. I had to drag her into the back and restrain her for 15 minutes while the police arrived - using minimal force of course because if I returned the favour she would have sued me. She was fined £40.

My honest advice is don't bother to go. If you are self employed you won't get paid anything near like what you earn. If they are found guilty they will get a fine that they won't even pay. It's just a big waste of tax payers money.

Sorry to sound negative, but that's how I feel.
                            Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                            Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                            Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Originally posted by JonF View Post
                              We caught one of our regular methadone patients stealing on CCTV. What are the legal implications of us providing police with name and address? Does it breach data protection? Could i get in trouble with Society?

Have any of you had any experience with this?

caught someone today, police came and took him. thanks for the CCTV.
                              we were discussing whether to ban him from the shop or not, some pointed that we get around 3 pounds for his daily dose ( 90 +1.29 + some more from the addiction centre) which makes around 1100 every year. is it still worth banning him?
                              still waiting a reply from the head office.
                              we are entitled to cancel his contract, but i believe as far as " positives outcome the negatives" then why to ban him? maybe keep an eye on the CCTV when he enters is a better idea.
                              [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
                              [/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X