Measuring and fitting a truss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measuring and fitting a truss

Has any one out there ever measured and fitted a truss?

I had a request this morning, Ive never done this before or ever been trained how to do it? My patient is coming back on monday morning for the measurement.

From the PJ article on it the measuring bit is a bit vague.

From what I understand is the measurement goes around the top of both hip bones and then down towards the pubis (base of penis)

Am I correct, any helpful sites or references (not the PJ one ive seen it?)

Any advice for either measuring or fitting?

Re: Measuring and fitting a truss

In my community days (long time ago now) I did quite a lot. Can be very rewarding, as discomfort usually relieved almost immediately.

Basically you are right; the elastic band is going to sit around the hip bones, but it then depends on where the hernia is; inguinal is the most common, and is either to the left or right of the root of the penis and about 2.5cm above it. You may need to adjust the position of the pad.
    Make sure the hernia is reduced before fitting. You'll need to have the patient lying down to do that.

The current NPA handbook (from the web http://www.pharmacists-handbook.co.u...acyLow-res.pdf) says
    ** FOR INFORMATION ON ENDORSEMENT/PRESCRIPTION CHARGES/GRADUATED
    COMPRESSION HOSIERY/ TRUSS FITTING AND SUPPLY/STOMA APPLIANCES/
    RESTRICTIONS TO PRESCRIBED MEDICATION PLEASE REFER TO OUR 2005/06
    HANDBOOK.

Hope that helps. As I say, it was a long time ago that I did any fitting, but I used to do at least one a week, on average, for some years

Comment

I had never measured for a truss when one day at BTC in Milton Keynes was told gent coming in and I would have to do it. One of the girls tried to explain by draping the measure round herself then collapsed in giggles. Fortunately BTC had several consulting rooms upstairs with couches and I managed after a fashion You do have to ask them to lay on couch and lower their trousers and pants. Pass the tape under them and measure round and down to pubic bone. After a couple of times all embarassment vanishes. Trouble is that the consulting rooms now in pharmacies do not have space for a couch.
      johnep

Comment

One pharmacy that I used to cover holidays for always seemed to organise a truss fitting for my first day there.

Measuring sounds correct, the biggest problem I found was getting the pins of the truss to pierce the webbing on the first fitting.
        Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
        pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
        eloquent-e-tales

Comment

I relied on the NPA guide to the DT and followed the pictures last time! (about 4 years ago).
          Not my area of expertise.

Mmmnn now I have discovered a gap in my knowledge do I now have to CPD it or something. Plan, study, err review err, err...

Comment

Thanks for the advice, the chap came in today, managed the measuring bit, I found the NPA guide to the drug tarrif very useful.

I ordered one a few days ago to see what it looked like,

1. Am I correct in thinking the thick strap goes aroung the waist and there is one thin strap that goes under the groin? I imagined it to have two thin straps to go either side of his nuts.

2. Can you clarify the problem with the pins? Do the pins make perminant holes like a belt hole?

3. Silly question but: when does he take it off? Ive read they leave it on over night if he has a cough, if not does he take it off at night? What about showers? Sorry for my ignorance but I want to get this right first time.

Any help would be well received, thanks again for the advice.

Comment

One large strap as belt and one (or two) straps to secure pad dependent on whether single or double truss.

On first fitting the belt pins have to be pushed through the belt to make permanent holes (this was the bit I always had trouble with)

As far as I remember trusses should be kept on at all times and only removed for washing.

I think that's it anyway.
              Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
              pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
              eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Take it off at night, as I recall. Danger of strangulation (trapping the intestine).

They've obviously moved on since my day. Then they used to have pads attached to the belt by screws, with three or four screwholes in the belt. You adjusted the position of the pad by undoing the screws and choosing the best position. Taking out a screwdriver when the chap had his trousers down used to make the eyes widen sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                X