What makes a 'good' pharmacist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes a 'good' pharmacist?

Just wondering as I keep reading "if you're good" on these boards. I've got a superficial idea from working with various pharmacists what I think makes a 'good' pharmacist but I'd like to know what thoughts are from qualified pharmacists.

Re: What makes a 'good' pharmacist?

Originally posted by snowy View Post
    Just wondering as I keep reading "if you're good" on these boards. I've got a superficial idea from working with various pharmacists what I think makes a 'good' pharmacist but I'd like to know what thoughts are from qualified pharmacists.
    You can get on with people, be polite, friendly but assertive when needed. You turn up, get on with the job efficiently and you keep up to date with all the legal, ethical and pharmacy knowledge. The latter can be quite a task. Also knowing your limitations is important.
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

I'd say: -

1. Turn up on time
      2. Actually work - don't read the paper all day!
      3. Keep up to date on drug knowledge etc
      4. Be nice to the staff
      5. Be nice to the customers
      6. Be prepared to go out of your way to help someone

I guess there are more, I just can't think of any right now. Here's an example of what I'd call a bad one.

You turn up at a place and the place is full of baskets with unchecked prescritions in them. You ask if they were busy the day before. The answer is no, but yesterday's pharmacist wouldn't check them - he was reading his book all day.

You'll soon get the idea...........
      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
      Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Do the work that needs doing.
        Be knowledgeable.
        Do the best for the business (accurate endorsing etc).
        Do the best for the patients.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
          The answer is no, but yesterday's pharmacist wouldn't check them - he was reading his book all day.

You'll soon get the idea...........
          Must be a complete nutter.
          My ulterior motive for wanting to be busy is that time passes much quicker and then you can go home again!
          How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
            Must be a complete nutter.
            My ulterior motive for wanting to be busy is that time passes much quicker and then you can go home again!
            Me too - I'd always rather be busy as the day goes quicker. However, this guy is not alone - far from it. I often follow people with this attitude. So in my part of the world there either are a lot of nutters, or a lot of lazy pharmacists!
            Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
            Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

There aren't any.
              There are successful pharmacists - but those that actually exercise proper pharmaceutical care are probably unemployable.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                There aren't any.
                There are successful pharmacists - but those that actually exercise proper pharmaceutical care are probably unemployable.

Jeff
                You always have to be different don't you!

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                  You always have to be different don't you!
                  Reminds me of Herman Munster sitting in a restaurant with wife Lily. Someone comes up and says "Hey - you're from Philadelphia aren't you". Herman replies, well parts of me are.

What we need do is get the best parts of pharmacy from each of us, sew them all together, apply a few Megavolts from some lightning and behold. Super Pharmacist is born. The Pharm Soc would probably object as it would only get one retention fee.

The bits that are left could retire.
                  How times change.

Comment

Working...
                  X