Locum pharmacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locum pharmacy

Can you start doing locum straight after your pre-reg year, or do you need experience. If so how many years of experience do you need. What are the chances of becomming unemployed after uni. What would you recommend, pharmacy or optometery . I just got my AS level results.
    1a, 2b, c in maths. Are these grades below par for pharmacy or are they ok. Is the money any good. What would you say average wage was after 5-8 years experience. ( Not as a locum). Sorry about the number of questions. I,m having doubts on whether to do pharmacy because so many people on here say they hate there job

Re: Locum pharmacy

You can locum straight after your prereg year, although most of my colleagues opted for hospital or relief pharmacy work with multiples.

Those AS level results are about standard for most courses, but you'll need one of those A2 levels to be a Chemistry.

My advice to you would be to get some work experience in both a pharmacy and opticians. But you should also consider that there are a lot more careers in pharmacy than simply retail work see Pharmacy Careers for more information.

Then you should look at the courses at university. 4 years is quite a long time and you want to pick a course that you enjoy. If you think pharmacy is for you after all that, then go for it.
    _____

Comment

Originally posted by richtagg View Post
      YBut you should also consider that there are a lot more careers in pharmacy than simply retail work see Pharmacy Careers for more information.
      Although realistically, you'll end up in working in retail or in hospital with only your pharmacy degree.

Comment

Originally posted by ferretmanabu View Post
        Although realistically, you'll end up in working in retail or in hospital with only your pharmacy degree.
        You can find a community pharmacy job on your doorstep and cut commuting down to less than 10 mins. Add commuting on to the alternative professions and you end up with the same hours!
        One thing about modern pharmacy is that you have to be very organised to get through the day and very good at motivating your staff.
        47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
        2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
        How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Optometry is a smaller profession with only 8 unis(more competetive, will need AAB, ABB,) compared to pharmacy with 20+?, reaching graduate saturation levels with both , but easier with Optometry since smaller. Female male ratio 60-40 Optometry...possibley more...works well if your male locum( locum rates 250 weekday/300 weekends static for many yrs now. possibly egding down in past yr,trend may continue if newly qualified. those established no probs. typical day 9-5 but not so in pharmacy with evenings, late nights ,100hr set ups etc.pharmacy on your feet but optometry consulting room based.
          though more career diversity with Pharmacy, both retail based-no escaping that unless clinically orientated....hospital sector for both .independant prescribing for both professions now.
          suggest you do work experience to find what you enjoy most because if you can't tolerate work/don't enjoy it the financial side will be irrelevant.
          BTW, i'm an optometrist & 3yr pharmacy student currently..
          Last edited by Ottoman; 1, September 2007, 09:13 PM. Reason: missed something out

Comment

Working...
          X