Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contract Limitation

Is contract limitation (CL) justified?

Should pharmacists have to operate in the real world where there is competition or can they sit back and enjoy no competition.

I am against contract limitation and think it has led to low salaries and third world working conditions for UK pharmacists.

I see nothing wrong with opening next door to an existing pharmacy and competing with him in an open commercial enviroment.

Doctors can open next to each other as can dentists and opticians.
    All get higher salaries then pharmacists and better working conditions.

CL has destroyed the dream and aspirations for young pharamcists and caused a two tier retail environment. Master and slave.

It does not benefit the majority of members of the RPSGB as most are employees.

More shops, more jobs, more competition to entice pharmacists = higher salary (and lower profits - who cares?).

1 busy pharmacy doing 4000 Rx with 1 pharmacist or 2 pharmacies with 1 pharmacist each doing 2000 Rx = better service and availability of the pharmacist for the public.

How is contract limitation of any benefit for the public or profession?

Re: Contract Limitation

4000 rx pcm is busy? Where do you work? The quietest place I've ever been to did about 4000 and that was so slow.

Comment

Contract Limitation

I don't work in pharmacy any more.

When I did, as a locum I did not believe in doing more than 100 items a day, as that was around full dispensing fee.

The best ones - I did 17-50 items a day!

But... if a shop did 4000 items do you get twice the salary as doing 200 items? I think not. Do you have hours to speak to a customer
      (remeber, they are not your patients, you don't treat them, a doctor does that!)?

What is your opinion? Should contract limitation exist?

Comment

Originally posted by Cherrypicker999 View Post
        I don't work in pharmacy any more.

When I did, as a locum I did not believe in doing more than 100 items a day, as that was around full dispensing fee.

The best ones - I did 17-50 items a day!

But... if a shop did 4000 items do you get twice the salary as doing 200 items? I think not. Do you have hours to speak to a customer
        (remeber, they are not your patients, you don't treat them, a doctor does that!)?

What is your opinion? Should contract limitation exist?
        Out of interest do you have experience of what it was like before contract limitation?
        47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
        2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
        How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Contract Limitation

Yes, I do.

Rates were higher than under contract limitation.
          Locums had a lot of choice where to work and rates were not bad.
          Then, rates did not increase much and conditions steady got worse.
          Third world conditions.

Low dispensing shops became fewer (I miss doing 35 items a day!).

But then, I left pharmacy as it was nothing but master-slave, poor conditons amd poor pay (I don't class £40K salary as a professional salary past the age of 40. In I.T. many 30 year olds earn £75-100K as contractors. I think pharmacy should be a 12 month course + 1 year pre-reg and not 4+1. Come on, 5 years to earn peanuts - must be stupid! Okay it's not bad for few years, then most your friends overtake you).

I view RPSGB as scum who destroyed my aspriations for their support and claiming the majority wanted contact limitation. This was nonsense as there was never a vote and since the majority are employees, why would they vote for something which was not in their benefit.

I hope the RPSGB dies and I am sure most pharmacists will not join the new body.

Ultimately, leaving pharmacy was the best thing for me from a financial view point. But I oppose contract limitation as a matter of principle.
          Last edited by Cherrypicker999; 22, August 2007, 01:13 PM.

Comment

What did you do when you left pharmacy?

Comment

Contract Limitation

MSc In I.T. at Birmingham University (Edgabaston).

Then started my own business.

Comment

Cherrypicker

Are you serious or just joking .......pharmacy 1 year + pre-reg ...for a degree?
                or are you still miffed at the society..I mean ,patient safety will definitely be compromised if the level of education was that low

What would the entry requirements be ? 3 GCSEs, at C or D grades!
                ...as for A-levels ...not required

Just because you don't practice anymore....doesn't mean you should belittle or slag of the pharmacy profession

No offence intended...

I am a passionate defender of pharmacy

IT is a great vocation and you need quite a few brain cells to get a post grad in it.....but that also applies to pharmacy.I agree that pharmacy salary scales are rubbish especially for those ,qualified for over 10 years, but at least its better in the NHS where salaries can top £70-80k (top level ) besides there are more pharmacy jobs out there than IT ones..
                Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

Contract Limitation

Serious.. Either 1 or 2 year course 12 months full time.

Old days 30 week terms at Universities not polytechincs for "thick people"
                  3 years x 30 weeks = 90 weeks. Take away 4 weeks for last year = 86 weeks.

You can easily have 86 weeks cramped in to 2 full years.
                  I am talking abut 1980s here.

The 4th year we have now is a waste of time.

The first year was basically A levels again.
                  Hence we have 56 weeks.
                  No Wednesday afternoons off, you could do it in 1 year.

What do you learn that is relevant in pharmacy?
                  Most of it was useless.

So we can have 1 year plus the pre-reg and a nice exam after it
                  to weed out the thick people, so less pass and salaries increase.

Since A levels are so easy, grades should be AAB.
                  No ex-polytechnics should be approved as they were always for "thick" people. It just degrades pharmacy.

Medicine, Dentistry, Optics were never polytechnic courses, because we
                  all know polytechnics were for people with a few brain cells or medical rejects.

I am harsh, but honest!

Comment

Originally posted by Cherrypicker999 View Post
                    Is contract limitation (CL) justified?

Should pharmacists have to operate in the real world where there is competition or can they sit back and enjoy no competition.

I am against contract limitation and think it has led to low salaries and third world working conditions for UK pharmacists.

I see nothing wrong with opening next door to an existing pharmacy and competing with him in an open commercial enviroment.

Doctors can open next to each other as can dentists and opticians.
                    All get higher salaries then pharmacists and better working conditions.

CL has destroyed the dream and aspirations for young pharamcists and caused a two tier retail environment. Master and slave.

It does not benefit the majority of members of the RPSGB as most are employees.

More shops, more jobs, more competition to entice pharmacists = higher salary (and lower profits - who cares?).

1 busy pharmacy doing 4000 Rx with 1 pharmacist or 2 pharmacies with 1 pharmacist each doing 2000 Rx = better service and availability of the pharmacist for the public.

How is contract limitation of any benefit for the public or profession?
                    Hi- my first posting, just had to comment. If CL went there would be no chance for enterprising young pharmacists to open outlet in spirit of competition after every Drs Surgery opened own pharmacy and every supermarket opened one to maximise sales of P med etc! There would be no prescriptions left. Maybe locum rates would go up as the number of outlets increased but what would be the point after patients were forced to use Drs own Pharmacy to suport the services of the practice (argument always used by dispensing Drs).

Comment

Contract Limitation

My view over the years has changed.
                      All GP's should be forced in to group practice.
                      All group practices should employ a pharmacist who is responsible for dispensing all products. Then each practice has full budgetary control.

High street pharmacies can become drug stores and offer additional services eg bp monitoring, cholesterol tests etc to those who want to pay.

Those greedy selfish contractors who supported contract limitation would not get any sympathy from me.

I would suggest a doctor would provide better working conditions than a pharmacist and treat him with more respect.

Look at the crap a pre-reg gets from Boots... stack shelves.
                      That's what was common when I did my pre-reg. It's degrading to go to University and stack shelves as a graduate.

Boots tried this with pre-reg Opticians and the GOC put a stop to it - unlike the RPSGB.

The point - more outlets, better salary. The employee would be better off - the majority.

Comment

It's a valid point about the course being far too long for the job we do. 80% of the time a pharmacist checks that A is A and B is B on boxes and labels.
                        We are only in demand because the law demands it.

Comment

Originally posted by pillpopper View Post
                          Hi- my first posting, just had to comment. If CL went there would be no chance for enterprising young pharmacists to open outlet in spirit of competition after every Drs Surgery opened own pharmacy and every supermarket opened one to maximise sales of P med etc! There would be no prescriptions left. Maybe locum rates would go up as the number of outlets increased but what would be the point after patients were forced to use Drs own Pharmacy to suport the services of the practice (argument always used by dispensing Drs).
                          When CL goes I'm going to open up a 168 hour pharmacy on this forum.
                          47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                          2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                          How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Working...
                          X