questioning a missing dose? right or wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questioning a missing dose? right or wrong

A couple of days ago i was speaking to a counter assistant, who is my friend, at a local pharmacy. Who told me that a Px came in for atorvastatin 10mg for a 3 months supply, however the dose was missing so she rang the surgery to ask the dose, at the time there was no pharmacist was present (as this particular pharmacist always comes in half an hour or so late in the morning) but there was a pre- reg student who had just started working. Anyways the the dose was given by the receptionist as 1od, the pre-reg student told the assistant to put PC on the endorsement and put in 1od. When the pharmacist came in and checked the prescription he got all hot and bothered about it saying there was no need to ring the surgery up that it looked unprofessional as it looked like that they did not know what they were doing and all they should have done was to go by the patients record and give him the same dose as before, or to just have put mdu on the label and that it was common sense that it would have been 1 a day because its a statin. So i was just wondering is that the right way to do it or the wrong way?

Re: questioning a missing dose? right or wrong

Originally posted by confused.com View Post
    A couple of days ago i was speaking to a counter assistant, who is my friend, at a local pharmacy. Who told me that a Px came in for atorvastatin 10mg for a 3 months supply, however the dose was missing so she rang the surgery to ask the dose, at the time there was no pharmacist was present (as this particular pharmacist always comes in half an hour or so late in the morning) but there was a pre- reg student who had just started working. Anyways the the dose was given by the receptionist as 1od, the pre-reg student told the assistant to put PC on the endorsement and put in 1od. When the pharmacist came in and checked the prescription he got all hot and bothered about it saying there was no need to ring the surgery up that it looked unprofessional as it looked like that they did not know what they were doing and all they should have done was to go by the patients record and give him the same dose as before, or to just have put mdu on the label and that it was common sense that it would have been 1 a day because its a statin. So i was just wondering is that the right way to do it or the wrong way?
    I agree with the pharmacist..but he should share some of blame coz afterall if he was there....they wouldn't have phoned..or they could have called his mobile (remote supervison!)
    Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

I would have hit the patient with an intervention MUR!!!!
      Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

If a Rx says 3/12 but has no dose doesn't it have to be PC'd anyway or the PPA will throw it back?

Whether you PC it after ringing the Dr or PC it and don't is another question.

If the Pharmacist doesn't like what's going on when he's not there perhaps he should arrive on time!
        Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
        pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
        eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Working...
        X