Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dispensing doctors..

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dispensing doctors..

    Working in a pharmacy today, just across the road from a dispensing doctors surgery. One of their patients comes in with a bag of medicines just dispensed in the surgery and tells me her husband has been told to stop his beta-blocker by a hospital, but yet noone at the surgery knew which drug was a beta-blocker. Well if whoever was dispensing those prescriptions couldnt answer that simple question, well.. I wont even bother going there.

  • #2
    Re: Dispensing doctors..

    I had a dispenser at a DD ring and ask me if there was any difference between Prempak .625 and 1.25!


    I kid you not!
    Linnear MRPharmS

    Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

    In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.



    For handy pharmacy links try
    pharmacistance.co.uk

    If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
    eloquent-e-tales

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Dispensing doctors..

      Originally posted by mm45 View Post
      Working in a pharmacy today, just across the road from a dispensing doctors surgery. One of their patients comes in with a bag of medicines just dispensed in the surgery and tells me her husband has been told to stop his beta-blocker by a hospital, but yet noone at the surgery knew which drug was a beta-blocker. Well if whoever was dispensing those prescriptions couldnt answer that simple question, well.. I wont even bother going there.
      Problem here is that you then become liable for your advice. Someone else has got the dispensing fee.
      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
      How times change.

      If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Dispensing doctors..

        Amazing comments....but I thought all dispensers/techs are or supposed to be NVQ qualified..... not good enough
        What's going to happen when they are left to hold the fort?
        Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Dispensing doctors..

          Originally posted by kemzero View Post
          Amazing comments....but I thought all dispensers/techs are or supposed to be NVQ qualified..... not good enough
          What's going to happen when they are left to hold the fort?
          In pharmacies. Yes.
          47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
          2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
          How times change.

          If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Dispensing doctors..

            Originally posted by kemzero View Post
            Amazing comments....but I thought all dispensers/techs are or supposed to be NVQ qualified..... not good enough
            What's going to happen when they are left to hold the fort?
            In a DD the dispensing is supervised by the Dr so dispenser can be shorthand typist. (Or always used to be the case, may be different now under PCT jurisdiction)
            Linnear MRPharmS

            Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

            In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.



            For handy pharmacy links try
            pharmacistance.co.uk

            If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
            eloquent-e-tales

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Dispensing doctors..

              Originally posted by Linnear View Post
              In a DD the dispensing is supervised by the Dr so dispenser can be shorthand typist. (Or always used to be the case, may be different now under PCT jurisdiction)
              In reality the Dr doesn't supervise anything do they? Do you remember that big court case a few years back when the judge said the Dr didn't have to actually check the scripts?
              Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
              Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
              Thank you for contributing to this site.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Dispensing doctors..

                I can remember the case where a patient was given Oramorph Conc against a Rx for Oramorph 10/5. The patient died.

                So:

                1) A dispensing error was made
                2) A CD was given out without a legal CD Rx being produced
                3) There was a death

                The outcome?

                In plain English:

                The patient was terminal so was going to die anyway so no real harm done.
                Dr got a smacked wrist and was asked to ensure that all Rxs were checked by a Dr (which is what should have happened anyway)


                I'm sure a pharmacist would have received the same result (and the confirmation of lack of legal pursuance would have arrived by flying pig!)
                Linnear MRPharmS

                Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

                In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.



                For handy pharmacy links try
                pharmacistance.co.uk

                If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
                eloquent-e-tales

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Dispensing doctors..

                  Originally posted by Linnear View Post
                  I can remember the case where a patient was given Oramorph Conc against a Rx for Oramorph 10/5. The patient died.

                  So:

                  1) A dispensing error was made
                  2) A CD was given out without a legal CD Rx being produced
                  3) There was a death

                  The outcome?

                  In plain English:

                  The patient was terminal so was going to die anyway so no real harm done.
                  Dr got a smacked wrist and was asked to ensure that all Rxs were checked by a Dr (which is what should have happened anyway)


                  I'm sure a pharmacist would have received the same result (and the confirmation of lack of legal pursuance would have arrived by flying pig!)
                  Pharmacist would have been hung, drawn and quartered. And then struck off.
                  47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                  2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                  How times change.

                  If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X