Lloyds Diabetes Screening Programme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lloyds Diabetes Screening Programme

I am looking to start a diabetes screening programme for my patients. I know Lloyds have been doing it for a long time now, does anyone know what kind of success rate they had, how many tests were performed etc, etc or a link to a site where i can access this information. Everyone says there is no firm evidence base for diabetes screening but i would have thought LLoyds have probably performed the biggest Community Pharmacy diabetes screening trial ever in history with their service, so why are there more springing up??

Can anyone also advise or offer tips on such a screening service to be a success??

Anyone care to share their experiences of LLoyds service?? It would be very useful and helpful..

I have tried to contact LLoyds but with no luck so i am leaving it to you guys out there, please help??

Re: Lloyds Diabetes Screening Programme

Originally posted by RedJimmyG View Post
    I am looking to start a diabetes screening programme for my patients. I know Lloyds have been doing it for a long time now, does anyone know what kind of success rate they had, how many tests were performed etc, etc or a link to a site where i can access this information. Everyone says there is no firm evidence base for diabetes screening but i would have thought LLoyds have probably performed the biggest Community Pharmacy diabetes screening trial ever in history with their service, so why are there more springing up??

Can anyone also advise or offer tips on such a screening service to be a success??

Anyone care to share their experiences of LLoyds service?? It would be very useful and helpful..

I have tried to contact LLoyds but with no luck so i am leaving it to you guys out there, please help??
    Think about it carefully first.
    What funding/charging model will you use.
    Even if you give your time FOC the meter and disposables are an expense.
    Is there a local initiative that you can start, or any national initiative due, like diabetes awareness week or something like that?
    If there isn't look at what initiatives are coming up and see if you can latch onto them, for example head-lice week. Probably more chance of some funding if you take up PCT bright ideas rather than be seen as a maverick.
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Lloyds' website says it has conducted over 1 million diabetes tests since the launch of their campaign, which is quite believable; as for how successful it's been, well that all depends on what you call a successful test; in my branch we've done about 200 tests so far, and I think I've referred about 20 people to their GP with fasting glycaemias above 6 mmol/l. I've also had a holidaymaker who didn't know he was "really" diabetic (most of his relatives had type II diabetes), so it came as a bit of a shock when the reading was off the scale of both our Medisense Optium Plus machines (the scale goes up to 33.3 mmol/l!!)
      Have you tried contacting Diabetes UK for more info on screening programmes?
      Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

funding for the pilot which will run from 3/4 pharmacies will be by a reputable pharmaceutical company and even 1 or 2 more have expressed an intrest, all obviously have diabetic products within their range and want to be seen gto be active with pharmacists..they will cover all meters and disposables and provide an educational service to the pharmacists involved i am hoping..

we will be using diabetes UK "measuring up" campaign to draw patients to the programme as well as other display material and leaflets supplied by a well known wholesaler..

we have a consultant diabetologist on board advising, a local GP advising and the PCT pathway manager who is keen to run with it..

we are looking to do 400 tests in a 6 month trial period in each outlet and then evaluate the programme..

Comment

You could do initial screen by just giving a Diastix to each prospective contact.

Just ask to come back if any colour change.
          johnep

Comment

Working...
          X