Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pharmacy prescription - containers/packaging

Hi all,

I have just registered with this forum in the hope that you can give me some direction. Basically I run my own company designing and developing products specifically from plastics. I have been looking at a new container for smaller dosages. As I noticed the last time I had to pick up a prescription they gave me the tablets within quite a bulky jar. I was looking at designing a more portable container. I have spoke to my local chemist but they only seem to be using the bulky jars for dispensing. I could do with some help on the following please:-

1. What small containers are currently out there within the market place? Who currently manufactures these containers?

2. Are prescription labels all standard sizes? If not how many different sizes are used ?

3. Does the container need to be tamperproof/childproof? can anyone define tamperproof/childproof? How do I check that my proposed product is child tamperproof?

I guess it must be a strange bunch of questions for you guys, but would appreciate your comments.

Kind Regards

Steve

Re: Pharmacy prescription - containers/packaging

hi,

I'm a pharmacy student working at my local pharmacy atm. For a small quantity of loose tablets, we use the smallest size amber plastic bottle with a special lid (ones that you have to push in first before unscrewing the lid), would that be 'childproof' to you? the smallest size plastic bottle we have are just big enough to fit about 25 Erythromycin stearate tablets...(sorry, i do not know the volume of the container but i did try to fit 28 Ery tabs once but failed lol) ... and the label can be comfortably stuck across the bottle.... i can understand the need for a small container when the patient only need about 10 loose tablets/capsules but the size of the label would probably limit how small the container can be....however, with the small bottle we use in the pharmacy, i do not think that a smaller container would be essential at the moment.

Comment

35ml is smallest size all made of copolymer. Usual range is 35, 50,75, 100, 120
      and 240 ml.

Very price driven commodity market.

Manufacturers use securitainers developed in 70s by Jorgensen.

Because of capital cost for moulds, unlikely small manf could get in unless perhaps offers custom service.

I introduced plastics instead of glass during a flu epidemic in the 70s.
      johnep

Comment

Hi all,

1. What small containers are currently out there within the market place? Who currently manufactures these containers?

Smallest I use is 25ml although there is a 16ml out there but too small to read the label once it has been put on!
        Several manufacturers - very competitive, companies will move supplier to save 50p per 200.

2. Are prescription labels all standard sizes? If not how many different sizes are used ?

Standard size is 72mm x 36mm

3. Does the container need to be tamperproof/childproof? can anyone define tamperproof/childproof? How do I check that my proposed product is child tamperproof?

The official line is "child resistant" although this would apply to the cap rather than the container

I guess it must be a strange bunch of questions for you guys, but would appreciate your comments.

We answer strange questions all day every day!

The last time I priced tablet bottles there was hardy any price difference between the smallest and next size up so often pharmacies will use a few sizes rather than every one.

Most (if not all) pharmacies will sell you these bottles empty. Just travel round a few and ask to buy one of each - they should charge you less than 50p a bottle for the plastic ones. You may get asked (if you find a good pharmacist) why you want them as pharmacists are not fans of patients putting their medications in unlabelled bottles! so maybe a little hesitant to sell them.
        Be honest and say what you said in your post about your company - Most pharmacists will happily take a few ££ off you.
        If you are in ever in South Yorks PM me.
        Last edited by Web Ferret; 9, August 2007, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys,

Didnt expect to get so many useful replies and within a day, I will visit a couple of chemists/pharamcies this afternoon and see what I can get out of them.

Once again thanks, I will keep you informed on how I get on. If I can I will post some proposed designs for discussion, let me know your thoughts etc.

Thanks

Steve

Comment

Our bottles are made by Nekem in Hull (well thats what it says on the box).

If you need any more info just ask.

Comment

Thanks for all your support.

I now have a few samples, the smallest seems to be a 35ml plastic bottle (not quite sure of material used for this particular product, but will you the tried and tested lighter test ).

I need to have an idea of current market prices of these containers, if I was a pharmacy and wanted to buy 100 off 35ml bottles does anyone know how much I would be looking at paying? It might be that these are that cheap that I cant possibly compete. Also, roughly how many would a typical chemist use within a week?

Once again, thanks for your support, its much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Steve

Comment

Not so many containers used these days of blister packs, however, drug agencies are encouraging the use of plastics for methadone, Trust yours bounce!
                johnep

Comment

Originally posted by swood1 View Post
                  Thanks for all your support.

I now have a few samples, the smallest seems to be a 35ml plastic bottle (not quite sure of material used for this particular product, but will you the tried and tested lighter test ).

I need to have an idea of current market prices of these containers, if I was a pharmacy and wanted to buy 100 off 35ml bottles does anyone know how much I would be looking at paying? It might be that these are that cheap that I cant possibly compete. Also, roughly how many would a typical chemist use within a week?

Once again, thanks for your support, its much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Steve
                  i checked today, and the smallest amber plastic bottle we have is 32 ml.

Comment

A quick look at my price lists:
                    Supplier "C" ex vat +free deliver over £50
                    15ml + cap 200 £14.48
                    25ml + cap 200 £15.53
                    30ml + cap 200 £17.65
                    45Ml + cap 200 £ 21.94
                    60ml + cap 100 £12.48
                    90ml + cap 100 £14.96
                    120ml + cap 100 £15.61
                    240ml + cap 100 £20.54

Supplier "f" + ex vat & free delivery (this supplier delivers twice daily to us with other lines)
                    15ml + cap 200 £11.87
                    25ml + cap 200 £12.40
                    30ml + cap 200 £13.95
                    45Ml + cap 200 £ 16.30
                    60ml + cap 100 £11.50
                    90ml + cap 100 £12.40
                    120ml + cap 100 £14.95
                    240ml + cap 100 £19.65

I actually buy mine from supplier "A" ex vat + free delivery, again a supplier who delivers medications to us twice a day:
                    50ml + cap 200 £10.89
                    100ml + cap 100 £6.92
                    150ml + cap 100 £8.71
                    and just keep these sizes in. These are better quality than either of the two listed above.

Most meds are in boxes nowadays so even in our busiest pharmacy we use less than a box a month.

Comment

Well Mr WebFerret,

You have certainly helped me out there with alot of questions. If I think of anymore I will be in touch.

PS> sorry for delay in reply, been away on business.

Thanks

Steve

Comment

Working...
                      X