Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online Petition against 50% increase in RPSGB Retention Fees

***Calling All Pharmacists***

On 27th July 2007, the RPSGB posted a press release on their website announcing that the retention fee for practising pharmacists would increase from £283 to £425 equating to a 50% increase http://www.rpsgb.org.uk/pdfs/pr070727a.pdf

In response, I have created an online petition against such an increase which will be open for TWO weeks only

If you believe like me, that a 50% increase in fees is unreasonable and unjustified then please add your name to the petition at PHARMACISTS AGAINST 50% INCREASE IN RETENTION FEES*-*Online Petition

A petition with as many pharmacists' names as possible will hopefully attract more attention that individual letters to the PJ!

I will then send the completed petition to the Society in protest at this increase.

Please forward this to as many of your colleagues as possible.

Thank you in advance.

Mark Cheeseman

Ipswich Hospital

The views and opinions in this email are mine and do not represent those of my employer.
    Last edited by admin; 31, July 2007, 11:02 PM. Reason: To make the link work

Re: Online Petition against 50% increase in RPSGB Retention Fees

signed, plus will forward to pharmacists i know

Comment

Unreal - signed it too.

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
      Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

A 50% increase is completely unacceptable. What can we do about this?? Surely there must be some employment rights we can exploit?
        _____

Comment

2979 signatures so far!
          _____

Comment

signed (and made me sign up here too!)

Comment

Originally posted by richtagg View Post
              2979 signatures so far!
              Gone up to 4177 as we speak!
              Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
              Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

I haven't signed - so far.
                I'm not bothered by the amount - but what I actually get for the money.
                I'll be getting the Society split into two parts - one for regulation (compulsory) and one for representation (voluntary)
                I get to work in the equivalent of a "closed shop union" with wages artificially inflated because of it.

I do resent that members retention fees are being used to subsidise the premises registration fees that fail to cover their own costs. Why on earth should I be subsiding Lloyds or Alliance?

Jeff

Comment

disgusting..the society should be reported to the office of fair trading...
                  ..if BA can be shafted..why can't the society be done for ripping it's members and users off..

Comment

I've passed this on to all the pharmacists I have emails for.
                    6000 in three days is impressive.
                    Its good to see pharmacists sticking together for once.

However I fear that all that will happen is that the current practice of employers paying this fee will stop.
                    All they have to do is give you 3 months notice of your new terms and conditions and thats it - You the have to pay them yourself and the company you work for makes even more tidy profit.
                    Last edited by Web Ferret; 4, August 2007, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Web Ferret View Post
                      I've passed this on to all the pharmacists I have emails for.
                      6000 in three days is impressive.
                      Its good to see pharmacists sticking together for once.
                      Amazing....united we stand divided we fall....maybe we should have an online poll about the future of the PharmSoc or the imminent Royal college
                      Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

Originally posted by kemzero View Post
                        Amazing....united we stand divided we fall....maybe we should have an online poll about the future of the PharmSoc or the imminent Royal college
                        I have read that so far over 10% of pharmacists have signed the petition, and this is more then voted in the elections. Has anyone got any idea if this is true?

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                          I have read that so far over 10% of pharmacists have signed the petition, and this is more then voted in the elections. Has anyone got any idea if this is true?
                          No, the actual number of papers returned was nearer 20%. However, due to the primitive system we use a lot of those votes were wasted. Incidentally, most people don't use all their votes.

I'm not signing the petition, as it seems like a kneejerk reaction, and there's a lot more water to flow under the bridge yet.

The next couple of PJ's will carry at lot more info, and there's a letter from the President which sets out a lot of the reasoning, although not the actual sums. Two of the cost drivers are the cost of demerging the registration department & turning into a BARC, which apparently is not by any means being fully funded by the Government, although it the Govt that wants it, and the shortfall in the pension fund, which may or may be partly taken up by the general improvment in these things.
                          The Presidents letter makes it clear that our Council will be pushing hard for the Govt to contribute a great deal more to the demerger/BARC costs and we would be much better employed in supporting that, than in a kneejerk reaction.

That's not to say that, for example, there should not be the facility to pay over 10 months, and that the position of the low paid should not be reconsidered.

Comment

Come on everybody, just for once in my professional lifetime will all pharmacists stop acting like donkeys led by donkeys
                            remember what the poll tax did for the so called iron lady
                            get every pharmacist you know to sign the petition even those simpering wimps who never even complain when it is 95F in the dispensary
                            the society has never done a single thing for me
                            VIVE LA REVOLUTION!

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo View Post
                              the society has never done a single thing for me
                              VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
                              So, Gonzo, you work for and under the direction of, a doctor? You are unable, even in principle, to question his or her decisions?

That's one thing which, even before my time, the Society's efforts stopped.

Given that the costs of the organisation are there, and the rise is be costed, what alternatives do you suggest?

First, consider the pension costs, which were badly affected by the recent legislative and stock market changes. Given time, the shortfall would have been corrected by the market and the steps which had been taken. (The scheme was closed to new entrants years ago, as a precautionary measure). However, my understanding is that as a result of the Govt's demands for radical changes in the organisation, the shortfall has to be in place much more quickly. Or are you proposing that any staff made reduntant should lose their pensions?

Comment

Working...
                              X