Flucloxacillin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flucloxacillin

Dispensed Kent brand 125mg/5ml for 4 year old. grandfather 'phoned to say child had spat out and that he himself thought tasted 'strong'. I offered to change for Flaoxapen and did so. I tasted the Kent brand and must say was foul with taste of amyl acetate which persisted despite a cup of tea.

Anyone else had any complaints?
    johnep

Re: Flucloxacillin

Originally posted by johnep View Post
    Dispensed Kent brand 125mg/5ml for 4 year old. grandfather 'phoned to say child had spat out and that he himself thought tasted 'strong'. I offered to change for Flaoxapen and did so. I tasted the Kent brand and must say was foul with taste of amyl acetate which persisted despite a cup of tea.

Anyone else had any complaints?
    johnep
    Never had any complaints, but I haven't tasted it either!

Well done - above and beyond the call of duty!
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

I have found that both generic and branded fluclox tastes awful. Always has done. Probably always will.

Comment

Floxapen is yummy, generic fluclox is invariably filthy tasting stuff, I don't think my kids would happily take it and they just *love* medicine (there's a queue for the Calpol if one of them's ill)

I have a habit of sniffing any liquid meds I dispense, nice or nasty, and always pull a face at generic fluclox.

Comment

Sniffing doesn't always work. Septrin paed smells like bananas--tastes like rusted metal!

Comment

Should pharmacists be involved in tasting medicines?

I can imagine problems arising due to allergies or legal considerations (consumption of even small amounts of POMs, if mentioned in SOPs it would be banned) and what does Subutex taste like for instance?

On the other hand it would be valuable for all of us to be able to tell patients and especially parents what the medicine tastes like as there is no point in supplying it if there is no way it is going to be taken and an alternative whose taste is known to be acceptable could be arranged with the prescriber.

Is it beyond possibility that prescribers might one day ask pharmacists what medicines taste like?

Comment

Originally posted by El-loco View Post
              Is it beyond possibility that prescribers might one day ask pharmacists what medicines taste like?
              Its a richly chemical taste, just a minute, I'm getting copper ions, touch of iron, definitely one of Generics UK's best vintage.
              Probably made in the Richmond Plant in late July.

My new career as a "Medicines Sommelier"
              47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
              2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
              How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Part Timer View Post
                Floxapen is yummy, generic fluclox is invariably filthy tasting stuff, I don't think my kids would happily take it and they just *love* medicine (there's a queue for the Calpol if one of them's ill)

I have a habit of sniffing any liquid meds I dispense, nice or nasty, and always pull a face at generic fluclox.
                Floxapen 250mg/5ml has now been discontinued. Floxapen 125mg/5ml is still available at present, not sure how long for though.

Comment

Originally posted by El-loco View Post
                  consumption of even small amounts of POMs, if mentioned in SOPs it would be banned

If I hear the term SOP one more time I think I'm going to do myself in!

Comment

I used to work for Bush Boake Allen who sold pharmaceutical flavours. these all had to pe passed by the authorities, so only limited range available. There was some concern re our flavourists tasting medicines, so all had to be carefully recorded. Generally found that fruit flavours such as strawberry and banana worked best in antibiotics.
                    My old company made a blunder by using a chocolate mint flavour based on tests in adults, children hated it.
                    johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                      I used to work for Bush Boake Allen who sold pharmaceutical flavours. these all had to pe passed by the authorities, so only limited range available. There was some concern re our flavourists tasting medicines, so all had to be carefully recorded. Generally found that fruit flavours such as strawberry and banana worked best in antibiotics.
                      My old company made a blunder by using a chocolate mint flavour based on tests in adults, children hated it.
                      johnep
                      Interesting. Just shows the importance of testing on the correct age group.

Comment

Flavorx in the US is available through pharmacies for flavouring OTC and prescription meds:

FLAVORx. Flavored medicine for children and adults.
                        http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...snroses2-1.jpg

”We are real. We are not glam sh*t or anything else. We are Guns N’ Roses.”

Comment

Presume we would have to have a manufacturing licence for this.
                          johnep

Comment

Working...
                          X