How much are you earning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much are you earning

Just want to know out of interest as its getting closer to the time I have to make a decision. What is the sector you are working in and how are you earning per year?

I would be grateful if you could provide me with this information.
    3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Re: How much are you earning

Originally posted by giggsy View Post
    Just want to know out of interest as its getting closer to the time I have to make a decision. What is the sector you are working in and how are you earning per year?

I would be grateful if you could provide me with this information.
    Currently, 52K, just about to complete my second year since registration, and am in community pharmacy as a branch manager of a small but growing chain. That may sound like above average money (it probably is), but I really do have to work hard for my money, and feel like I can get more for the quality of work I do, which is subject to targets of various sorts. I'm due for a raise soonish (maybe i'll be on about 54k then). I'm not complaining about working hard plus long hours coz its quite satisfying and most other jobs where people are well paid and expect to increase their salaries have to work hard too, like my friends in city jobs who often work 60+ hour weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Raju View Post
      Currently, 52K, just about to complete my second year since registration, and am in community pharmacy as a branch manager of a small but growing chain. That may sound like above average money (it probably is), but I really do have to work hard for my money, and feel like I can get more for the quality of work I do, which is subject to targets of various sorts. I'm due for a raise soonish (maybe i'll be on about 54k then). I'm not complaining about working hard plus long hours coz its quite satisfying and most other jobs where people are well paid and expect to increase their salaries have to work hard too, like my friends in city jobs who often work 60+ hour weeks.
      How many hours a week do you work for that amount, and how many scripts a month do you do - if you don't mind me asking that is!
      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
      Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Yes Raju, I would love to know how many hours a week you are doing!!

Last year as a branch manager I was on £36000 doing 4x 10 hour days and around 500 scripts a day. I changed companies and am now doing 42 hours a week for £38000 with around 250-300 scripts a day. From what I can work out this is somewhere around normal. I graduated in 1992, but have only been in the UK for 3 years

Comment

48 hours per week, and number of scripts fluctuates between 4800 - 5400 per month. I'm the sole pharmacist for five out of six trading days, and a locum does the other day. I'm sure if many pharmacists did as many hours as that you'd get roughly the same, if not more. Just depends how much money is a priority. E.g. Zoggite does a v.good rate for the number of hours she does and doesn't want more coz of the tax man taking 40% of the upper tax level...

Comment

I'm on 45k for a 47 hour week. We do about 10,000 items a month and I have a manager for the front of shop and looking after staff hours, holidays etc. I also get accommodation with utility bills and council tax paid, which only costs me about £100 per month in tax, as well as a company car.

Comment

Community, 500 items day, 4 addicts, 9am - 6pm Monday to Friday
              £60k per annum with 7 weeks holiday (I asked for additional hols rather than more money),
              15 years experience.

Oh and by the way I increased turnover by 25% last year and put another 5% on the gross profit...(and no I don't recycle medicines or do fraudulent endorsing)
              Last edited by Web Ferret; 8, August 2007, 03:46 PM.

Comment

raju, quickly looking at your figures either you have negotiated a shit hot deal or your employers must have mud in their eyes...if it is the former than well done, if it is the latter than well done again and how about giving us all their details..do they want more pharmacists!!

Comment

Originally posted by RedJimmyG View Post
                  raju, quickly looking at your figures either you have negotiated a shit hot deal or your employers must have mud in their eyes...if it is the former than well done, if it is the latter than well done again and how about giving us all their details..do they want more pharmacists!!
                  Maybe you should ask Web Ferret for his employer's details - I sure am thinking of doing that! BTW - generally in small pharmacy chains that are trying to grow and become bigger players, they will (rightly) pay pharmacists reasonably well provided that they increase the turnover and gross profit margin year on year. I'm hearing on the grapevine several jobs that pay 60K for a 50 hour week for "long-term locums", which is better than what I'm on, and something any pharmacist should look in to. I think personally people should stay away from the biggest multiples, because the individual pharmacist is more likely to be able to negotiate well with smaller companies. I dunno, these are just my random thoughts on pharmacist remuneration, but I've still got more to seeand learn.

Comment

Yes its a small chain and no we are not recruiting.

Comment

any more people wish to add on?
                      3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

"How much are you earning "
                        5.52 x 40 hours, take from them NI" filled in p36 form for students so i dont have to pay income tax". around 200 pounds/week
                        enough money?? hell noooooo, worth the experience, hell yesssssssss
                        in 2 years i will no longer be seen as " cheap dispenser" and start earning 30-35 K :P
                        [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
                        [/COLOR]

Comment

44k for a 40 hour week, 4 weeks hols. Downside is 1 in 3 sundays, 2 in 3 saturdays and a lot of late finish shifts.
                          “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by giggsy View Post
                            any more people wish to add on?
                            Shouldn't the question be how much do you get to keep/spend?

I'm working on average 33 hours/week @ £25/hour.

NI is a pittance, and my last half yearly tax payment was just over £500

You work it out.

Jeff

Comment

Hospital, basic grade:

£25,000 basic (37.5hr week)
                              £2,400 pa EDC

Community locum on Saturdays £25/hr
                              Band6 is a Band 6 no longer.. now 7/8a

Comment

Working...
                              X